Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NFL Third Place Game?

83 posts in this topic

Posted

The loser forfeits its pick to the winner. That would be more intense than the super bowl.

1 person likes this

Posted

So losing a draft spot and potentially a franchise player to a division rival isn't a drawback?

Posted

So losing a draft spot and potentially a franchise player to a division rival isn't a drawback?

uhh not if you're confident you can play football... think about it, its another game but they would be playing that "other game" if they had won anyways...

damn, im starting to realize yall are gonna be part of the problem that helps the NFL gravitates towards flag football

Posted

uhh not if you're confident you can play football... think about it, its another game but they would be playing that "other game" if they had won anyways...

damn, im starting to realize yall are gonna be part of the problem that helps the NFL gravitates towards flag football

Gucci Mane thuggin on a Sunday night.

Burrr!

1 person likes this

Posted

The NCAA use to do this for the basketball final four.  It was pretty lame, and they ended it. 

IMO, the players would look at it the same way that they do at meaningless games at the end of the season, ie they would be thinking more about the offseason than about winning the game.

Posted

fine.  the losers have to play all next season in drag no matter what team they're on

Posted

slippery slopes...

Posted

Drawback #1:  Potential Injury -  Could you imagine if we lost Cam to an ACL injury the entire next season in a meaningless third place game? Losing him as part of a meaningful drive for a championship is one thing.   Using the logic of " not if your comfortable playing the game ",  every team starters would play every minute of every game.  Risk vs Reward.

Drawback #2:  Fan interest -  Lets look at this year for example.  Would I really want to watch Atlanta vs Patriots game for the 28th pick?  I get as starved for football as the next guy, but unless the Panthers were one of those teams my interest would be slightly above cleaning my BBQ grill.

Drawback #3:  Corporate Interest -  The proud sponsor of the 2nd Best loser bowl is brought to you by McDonald?  The numbers(neilsen) on this game would be atrocious.  They wouldn't even play that horrible Drew Brees NyQuil commercial during this. 

Drawback #4:  No Fantasy football implications -  There is a reason that the NFL, Yahoo, ESPN, Google, CBS, everyone and their mother pushes Fantasy Sports.  It generates hits, on websites, it gets people who don't follow certain teams to follow players who play on them.  Across the board, good mojo.  The third place game (2nd best loser bowl) would have no fantasy implications(because all of them are over with anyway). 

NFL is always trying to generate more revenue, thus why the 18 game schedule thing keeps getting floated out there until it sticks.  However those games would be for playoff positioning(thus actually mean something).  Since no points carry over, and the only financial incentive would amount to a little more than a preseason game,  the pro bowl still seems like a more viable option.  IMO.

Posted

Drawback #1:  Potential Injury -  Could you imagine if we lost Cam to an ACL injury the entire next season in a meaningless third place game? Losing him as part of a meaningful drive for a championship is one thing.   Using the logic of " not if your comfortable playing the game ",  every team starters would play every minute of every game.  Risk vs Reward.

Drawback #2:  Fan interest -  Lets look at this year for example.  Would I really want to watch Atlanta vs Patriots game for the 28th pick?  I get as starved for football as the next guy, but unless the Panthers were one of those teams my interest would be slightly above cleaning my BBQ grill.

Drawback #3:  Corporate Interest -  The proud sponsor of the 2nd Best loser bowl is brought to you by McDonald?  The numbers(neilsen) on this game would be atrocious.  They wouldn't even play that horrible Drew Brees NyQuil commercial during this. 

Drawback #4:  No Fantasy football implications -  There is a reason that the NFL, Yahoo, ESPN, Google, CBS, everyone and their mother pushes Fantasy Sports.  It generates hits, on websites, it gets people who don't follow certain teams to follow players who play on them.  Across the board, good mojo.  The third place game (2nd best loser bowl) would have no fantasy implications(because all of them are over with anyway). 

NFL is always trying to generate more revenue, thus why the 18 game schedule thing keeps getting floated out there until it sticks.  However those games would be for playoff positioning(thus actually mean something).  Since no points carry over, and the only financial incentive would amount to a little more than a preseason game,  the pro bowl still seems like a more viable option.  IMO.

#1 is the only legitimate draw back. I bet there would be plenty of fan interest, which would equal more sponsors. and fantasy football doesnt exist when playoffs start.

Posted

plus in soccer, the players do the same thing... Many of them sit out because they dont want to get hurt but some want their team to win and the coach gets to evaluate more talent.

Im not saying it has to be par with the super bowl, but it would certainly draw more interest than a preseason game, and those still make the leage a profit so this would be a "watch if you enjoy football" games. not hey lets have a halftime show, funny commercials, sold out stadium, epic pregames and primetime coverage.

Posted

#4 is the only stretch. the rest are solid arguments against it.

this would get close to the same amount of ratings and interest as the probowl...which is negligible.

i had no interest in watching the probowl. i have less interest in watching a battle for 3rd place when all the players have to look forward to is a little extra cash. at least with the probowl you get a free trip to hawaii. players don't care about draft picks. there is very little reason for players to really care about that game.

some would watch it, but what would be the point?

if we want more good football, add another week or two to the regular season. don't add another ultimately pointless game or replace one pointless game with another.

the lombardi is all that matters. if you miss out on it priority #1 is getting ready for the next season. no team or player worth their salt cares about anything else. nobody cares who gets in 2nd. nobody cares about 3rd place. just first.

1 person likes this

Posted

#4 is the only stretch. the rest are solid arguments against it.

this would get close to the same amount of ratings and interest as the probowl...which is negligible.

i had no interest in watching the probowl. i have less interest in watching a battle for 3rd place when all the players have to look forward to is a little extra cash. at least with the probowl you get a free trip to hawaii. players don't care about draft picks. there is very little reason for players to really care about that game.

some would watch it, but what would be the point?

if we want more good football, add another week or two to the regular season. don't add another ultimately pointless game or replace one pointless game with another.

the lombardi is all that matters. if you miss out on it priority #1 is getting ready for the next season. no team or player worth their salt cares about anything else. nobody cares who gets in 2nd. nobody cares about 3rd place. just first.

Ill just repost this since you dont care to read:

"in soccer, the players do the same thing... Many of them sit out because they dont want to get hurt but some want their team to win and the coach gets to evaluate more talent.

Im not saying it has to be par with the super bowl, but it would certainly draw more interest than a preseason game, and those still make the league a profit so this would be a "watch if you enjoy football" games. not hey lets have a halftime show, funny commercials, sold out stadium, epic pregames and primetime coverage."

No one cares if "Rayzor" won't watch it. You probably know poo about football anyways or the business behind it. Its about the masses, and i'd bet you more people would watch it than any given preseason game or pro bowl.