• Please log in to reply
390 replies to this topic

#46 CardiacCats

CardiacCats

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,384 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:29 AM

Do you realize there is going to be like 5 or more teams tanking next year?  Do you also realize the NBA hates Charlotte and the lottery poops on our faces each year?  

Toronto, Orlando, Boston, Pheonix, Sac....

You can bank on Boston getting #1 next year.  Not to mention those prospects everyone wants could not be what everyone thought they were after playing a year in college.  Shabazz was supposed to be a top 3 pick, McLemore dropped out of the top 5, etc.   You just never know.  

i'm not planning on getting wiggins.  but we need another top 5 pick regardless.  i'm looking more at a james young or andrew harrison.

#47 Zaximus

Zaximus

I'm Brett Jensen

• HUDDLER
  • 4,931 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:31 AM

Even getting a top 5 is going to have some tough competition next year lol.

#48 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 23,594 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina/Virginia

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:33 AM

With everything I have said though.... I still want Jefferson. He is a 20/10 guy night in and night out and would definitely improve our front court.

Cho, Higgins... sign his ass!!!

#49 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 23,594 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:36 AM

As far as tanking goes, we (Bobnets fans) should know better than anyone that just because you suck balls; doesn't mean you will get that number one pick.

Even with Jefferson, we're still one of the worst teams in the NBA (if Cho and Higgins want us to be).

I'm not totally convinced that our roster is actually that bad (remember how we started), there were times when I literally thought that MJ told the guys to go out there and shave points.

#50 Keith Moons Liver

Keith Moons Liver

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:43 AM

He hasn't been a 20-10 guy for a long time, and won't ever be again. He is literally one of the worst defenders in the league. Guys who don't watch him might fall in love with his nice stats, but most will hate him within 20 games. He has great post moves but no clue how to play within a 5 man offense. He's a frustrating, deeply flawed player. He's better than what we have had, for sure, but is he really worth moving from early lottery to mid/late lottery for? This draft isn't #1 or bust- a top 5 pick should give any team a good shot at getting a quality #1 player. We've suffered for years during our latest rebuild, and might finally see a light at the end of the tunnel, why throw it all away for this. 

#51 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 18,317 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:05 PM

Eh, he's not a natural center, he's listed as a combo pf/c. He can play either, but he's not a pure center. He still wanders outside the paint to take a few jump shots a game.

To me, he's as close to a Center you can get in the NBA. Bc he is listed as a PF/C doesn't mean he's one. When you watch Jefferson play, he's a "Center". When you watch Cody Zeller play, he's a "PF". And when you watch "JJ Hickson" play, he's a "PF" not a Center.

#52 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 23,594 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:08 PM

He hasn't been a 20-10 guy for a long time, and won't ever be again. He is literally one of the worst defenders in the league. Guys who don't watch him might fall in love with his nice stats, but most will hate him within 20 games. He has great post moves but no clue how to play within a 5 man offense. He's a frustrating, deeply flawed player. He's better than what we have had, for sure, but is he really worth moving from early lottery to mid/late lottery for? This draft isn't #1 or bust- a top 5 pick should give any team a good shot at getting a quality #1 player. We've suffered for years during our latest rebuild, and might finally see a light at the end of the tunnel, why throw it all away for this. 

Me saying 20-10, was exaggerating... but he is a consistent double-double player. At this point it doesn't matter if he can't play defense because we have one of the better rim protectors in the league in Biyombo (top 10 in blocks). I have seen him play live this past year (had the opportunity to sit courtside) and he destroyed us (26 points, 8 rebounds) because we didn't have a player that could match  up with him in the post.

Regarding the lottery, even if we sign Jefferson; there is no guarantee that we will be a good team next year. Cleveland had a much more talented team than us this past year and they ended up with the number one pick... If the NBA really wants us to have that number one pick, we'll get that number one pick.

But to tank for the sake of possibly getting Wiggins isn't as smart as putting together a good team that still will be picking in the top five.

#53 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 23,594 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:12 PM

To me, he's as close to a Center you can get in the NBA. Bc he is listed as a PF/C doesn't mean he's one. When you watch Jefferson play, he's a "Center". When you watch Cody Zeller play, he's a "PF". And when you watch "JJ Hickson" play, he's a "PF" not a Center.

So they're going to list him as something he isn't? Think about that... that doesn't make since.

Jefferson shoots as many jump shots in a game as someone like Hickson, the only difference is that Jefferson has a much more developed post game than Hickson. Just go search his name on youtube.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying that he is not a pure center.

#54 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 18,317 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:26 PM

So they're going to list him as something he isn't? Think about that... that doesn't make since.

Jefferson shoots as many jump shots in a game as someone like Hickson, the only difference is that Jefferson has a much more developed post game than Hickson. Just go search his name on youtube.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying that he is not a pure center.

The guy plays a center bro. When I do get the chance to watch him play, I see a Center more than a PF. And no that's not YouTube highlights. I didn't even know he was listed as a PF/C. Same goes for Hickson (PF). They may be listed like that bc they can play both spot in different situation, but players always have a more comfortable and natural feel to one spot over another. Imo, Al is a center and JJ a PF.

#55 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 23,594 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:35 PM

The guy plays a center bro. When I do get the chance to watch him play, I see a Center more than a PF. And no that's not YouTube highlights. I didn't even know he was listed as a PF/C. Same goes for Hickson (PF). They may be listed like that bc they can play both spot in different situation, but they everyone always have a more comfortable and natural feel to one spot.

If you have truly watched him then you will see that he is a combination of a power forward and a center. I don't see why you are arguing about this because it actually makes him more of an asset.

You can line him up in two different scenarios...

PF: Cody Zeller

C: Al Jefferson

PF: Al Jefferson

C: Bismack Biyombo

The reason he is not a true center is because like others have mentioned, he is a poor defender and one of the worst shot blockers (as a big) in the league. However, there is nothing wrong with that because we have one of the better shot blockers in the league.

I actually have the program from the Bobcats/Jazz game on January 9th and Jefferson is listed as F-C.

#56 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 18,317 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:39 PM

If you have truly watched him then you will see that he is a combination of a power forward and a center. I don't see why you are arguing about this because it actually makes him more of an asset.

You can line him up in two different scenarios...

PF: Cody Zeller
C: Al Jefferson

PF: Al Jefferson
C: Bismack Biyombo

The reason he is not a true center is because like others have mentioned, he is a poor defender and one of the worst shot blockers (as a big) in the league. However, there is nothing wrong with that because we have one of the better shot blockers in the league.

I actually have the program from the Bobcats/Jazz game on January 9th and Jefferson is listed as F-C.

All I said was he's a natural center. You're the one arguing.

Does that mean the Kevin Love is a center? Bc he sure is listed as a PF/C too. Love is clearly a PF in my eyes. Also, Love is probably a worse defender than Al.

This is like you're telling me Chris Cooley is not a natural Tight End, bc he was listed as a Halfback.

I never said I was arguing bc he couldn't play PF. I said, imo he's a more "NATURAL" center than PF. Sure, when we choose to go BIG we could go all over the place: SG: MKG, SF, Zeller, PF, AL, and C: Biz. But that doesn't mean that's their spot. It's all situation.

#57 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 23,594 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:42 PM

All I said was he's a natural center. You're the one arguing.

Does that mean the Kevin Love is a center? Bc he sure is listed as a PF/C too. Love is clearly a PF in my eyes. Also, Love is probably a worse defender than Al.

This is like you're telling me Chris Cooley is not a natural Tight End, bc he was listed as a Halfback.

A natural/pure center needs to be able to defend the rim, Jefferson has shown that he isn't the best at that. 

Love is listed as a power forward...

http://espn.go.com/n...3449/kevin-love

Chris Cooley is listed as a tight end...

http://espn.go.com/n...06/chris-cooley

#58 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 18,317 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:45 PM

A natural/pure center needs to be able to defend the rim, Jefferson has shown that he isn't the best at that.

Love is listed as a power forward...

http://espn.go.com/n...3449/kevin-love

Chris Cooley is listed as a tight end...

http://espn.go.com/n...06/chris-cooley

Check NBA.com for Love, you'd be surprise.

And don't play dumb with Cooley. You know exactly what I meant. Many other places list Cooley as a HB/TE.

#59 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 23,594 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:51 PM

Check NBA.com for Love, you'd be surprise.

And don't play dumb with Cooley. You know exactly what I meant.

They have Love as a Forward-Center, which is actually semi-reasonable because he did see time at center when Pekovic was hurt. They played Love at center and Derrick Williams at power forward.

Now does this mean that Love is a center, absolutely not... but does it mean he can play center... yes.

The same goes with Jefferson... he can play power forward (and play it well), but he can also play center.

I just wouldn't put him in the same discussion as Dwight Howard as being a true center.

Dwight Howard, Roy Hibbert, Marc Gasol, Andrew Bogut, and Joakim Noah are literally the only true starting centers in the league.

#60 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 18,317 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:56 PM

They have Love as a Forward-Center, which is actually semi-reasonable because he did see time at center when Pekovic was hurt. They played Love at center and Derrick Williams at power forward.

Now does this mean that Love is a center, absolutely not... but does it mean he can play center... yes.

The same goes with Jefferson... he can play power forward (and play it well), but he can also play center.

I just wouldn't put him in the same discussion as Dwight Howard as being a true center.

Dwight Howard, Roy Hibbert, Marc Gasol, Andrew Bogut, and Joakim Noah are literally the only true starting centers in the league.

That's what I've been saying bro!

I said he's a natural Center. Never said he was a true Center like Hibbert or Howard. Unless I did, I'm sorry. Which I didn't.

I would be pretty positive if you asked Al and JJ what position they feel more comfortable/natural to them, it'd be Center (AL) and PF (JJ).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users