#1 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,729 posts
  • LocationGreensboro

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:16 PM

apologies in advance for re-opening this debate, but i came across the actual complaint filed with chatham county superior court regarding paula dean's use of the N-word, and it seems we're only looking at a very small segment of the actual allegations. i don't advocate dropping the judgement hammer until we see how the case turns out (disgruntled employees have said worse things to get a settlement out of it) but if true, wow. she is never coming back.

here's a copy of the document

there's a bunch of stuff about bubba basically acting like forum poster boonestownme that's entertaining, but here's the real meat of it:

•  

• Paula Deen, while planning her brother’s wedding in 2007, was asked what look the wedding should have. She replied, “I want a true southern plantation-style wedding.” When asked what type of uniforms the servers should wear, Paula stated, “well what I would really like is a bunch of little n*ggers to wear long-sleeve white shirts, black shorts and black bow ties, you know in the Shirley Temple days, they used to tap dance around;
    • Black staff had to use the back entrance to enter and leave restaurant;
    • Black staff could only use one bathroom;
    • Black staff couldn’t work the front of the restaurants;
    • Brother Bubba stated his wishes: “ I wish I could put all those n*ggers in the kitchen on a boat to Africa”;
    • Bubba asked a black driver and security guard “don’t you wish you could rub all the black off you and be like me? You just look dirty; I bet you wish you could.” The guy told Bubba he was fine as is;
    • Bubba on President Obama: they should send him to the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, so he could n*gger-rig it;
    • He shook an employee (Black again) and said” F your civil rights…you work for me and my sister Paula Deen;
    • Paula’s son Jaime’s best friend managed the Lady & Sons restaurant. He threatened to fire all the ‘Monkeys’ in the kitchen. When Paula found out…she slapped him on the wrist and suggested that the employee visited Paula’s $13,000,000 mansion so he felt special and could be massaged.

if this is the case, then the media is vastly underplaying this, not overplaying it "to start race wars" like the fox news crowd is insisting. and it also explains why companies are dropping her left and right.

#2 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 18,729 posts
  • LocationGreensboro

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:17 PM

in b4 urrr why does this need its own thred

#3 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,084 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:21 PM

Pretty awful behavior.

Are they allegations at this point? Would be easy to verify some of those by speaking to all the employees.

#4 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 18,729 posts
  • LocationGreensboro

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:24 PM

yeah it's all allegations, which is why i'm hesitant to drop the judgement hammer on her until a decision is reached. it appears the mainstream media has felt the same way, only reporting what she already confessed to, which means they're doing their job.

if it comes out that any of these more vitriolic accusations are true her career is over. she'll be forced to just run her restaurants and cater to deep south racists that support her because she's standing up against double standards.

#5 SZ James

SZ James

1 888 CAM PAIN

• HUDDLER
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:25 PM

Her Amazon sales are gonna break records

#6 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

Stripper Name: Bo Dangles

• HUDDLER
  • 11,936 posts
  • Locationtied to your basement wall

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:28 PM

All false allegations. Trying to bring down the white southerner. I won't stand for it.

#7 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,224 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:56 PM

does here other son Dizzy still play baseball?

#8 googoodan

googoodan

Memberest

• HUDDLER
  • 10,382 posts
  • LocationBayside

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:32 PM

If Bubba was aware of the 2010 oil spill in 2007, he should have warned Paula about this shitstorm she get herself into.

#9 BBQ&Beer

BBQ&Beer

The good actor

• HUDDLER
  • 3,965 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:01 AM

If Bubba was aware of the 2010 oil spill in 2007, he should have warned Paula about this shitstorm she get herself into.

Well, in 2007, most thought it woulda been President Clinton so I'm gonna guess all of this wasn't said/done ( if in fact it was said/done) on the same day.

#10 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,084 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:16 AM

Lets look at the individual allegations...

Paula Deen, while planning her brother’s wedding in 2007, was asked what look the wedding should have. She replied, “I want a true southern plantation-style wedding.” When asked what type of uniforms the servers should wear, Paula stated, “well what I would really like is a bunch of little n*ggers to wear long-sleeve white shirts, black shorts and black bow ties, you know in the Shirley Temple days, they used to tap dance around;

She confirmed this one as true...pretty terrible.

• Black staff had to use the back entrance to enter and leave restaurant;
  • Black staff could only use one bathroom;
  • Black staff couldn’t work the front of the restaurants;

It seems like if these three were true or the whole picture it would have come out by now. It may be true, but a half truth. It seems like all three stem from one issue, no black folks were hired to work the front of the restaurant, which is the third point. The other two stem from that one. Many restaurants require kitchen staff to enter through the back as they are not typically dressed to be seen. Same thing with bathrooms. Not many allow kitchen staff to walk out of the kitchen and use the customers rest room. Not many higher end places want their cooks pissing next to the customers.

So the only real issue with these three could be "Why didn't Paula or Paula's restaurant manager hire minorities to work the front of the restaurant." I think its a valid question. How many employees are there? Have they ever had minority wait staff? That should all come out.

• Brother Bubba stated his wishes: “ I wish I could put all those n*ggers in the kitchen on a boat to Africa”;
  • Bubba asked a black driver and security guard “don’t you wish you could rub all the black off you and be like me? You just look dirty; I bet you wish you could.” The guy told Bubba he was fine as is;
  • Bubba on President Obama: they should send him to the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, so he could n*gger-rig it;
  • He shook an employee (Black again) and said” F your civil rights…you work for me and my sister Paula Deen;

None of these are anything Paula said or did. Are we going to start laying blame on people for what their relatives do? I hope not, I have some F'd up family.

Paula’s son Jaime’s best friend managed the Lady & Sons restaurant. He threatened to fire all the ‘Monkeys’ in the kitchen. When Paula found out…she slapped him on the wrist and suggested that the employee visited Paula’s $13,000,000 mansion so he felt special and could be massaged.

This one is confusing. So her son's best friend made a racially charged statement and she "slapped him on the wrist" Is that literal or figurative? So she did not approve of his racism? Also, why the ... after  "when Paula Dean found out ..." What was left out there?

All in all it seems like there may be a legitimate case for Paula not having diversity in her restaurants. That should be explored and settled.

#11 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,012 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:42 AM

Her comments and behavior was horrible and her comments were unacceptable.  She deserves all of the backlash that she gets from this.

However, I am AMAZED at how many people actually care what someone like freakin' Paula Dean thinks or says about ANYTHING. 

I can think of over 100,000 people whose opinion means anything more than a fart in the wind to me........and Paula Dean's name is nowhere near that list.

#12 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,476 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:54 AM

Little heavy-handed, I agree, but who among us doesn't love a great wedding?

#13 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 18,729 posts
  • LocationGreensboro

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:20 AM

Her comments and behavior was horrible and her comments were unacceptable.  She deserves all of the backlash that she gets from this.

However, I am AMAZED at how many people actually care what someone like freakin' Paula Dean thinks or says about ANYTHING. 

I can think of over 100,000 people whose opinion means anything more than a fart in the wind to me........and Paula Dean's name is nowhere near that list.

i couldn't care less what she thinks, but the reason it's a debate is because of all the people running in to defend her with "well i hope walmart decides to pull all 'those peoples' albums too since they get to use the N-word without challenge, double standards make me so mad!!!!"

which is a fuging stupid argument but it's spreading across the internetz preying on people without an education/critical thinking skills/an understanding of language and power

#14 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,012 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:28 AM

i couldn't care less what she thinks, but the reason it's a debate is because of all the people running in to defend her with "well i hope walmart decides to pull all 'those peoples' albums too since they get to use the N-word without challenge, double standards make me so mad!!!!"

which is a fuging stupid argument but it's spreading across the internetz preying on people without an education/critical thinking skills/an understanding of language and power

I agree with you. 

Anyone supporting her is an idiot....but idiots do tend to flock together.

But for me....

I care about her stance on race about as much as I do Sean Penn's on politics.  Both are below relevant to me.

But, the use of the N-word by the black community is an interesting topic and dynamic to me.  I understand the arguement that it is different when one black calls another the N-word.  But, it just seems to me that using a word that is THAT inflammatory to the African American race (and rightfully has such deep rooted meaning) would not be something that would become part of the sub-culture.

I would find it interesting and enlightening to have that discussion with someone who could really explain it.

#15 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,084 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:29 AM

Yep, it's exposed plenty of ignorance all over the place in people's reactions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.