46 replies to this topic

#16 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,606 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:11 AM

I agree with you. 

Anyone supporting her is an idiot....but idiots do tend to flock together.

But for me....

I care about her stance on race about as much as I do Sean Penn's on politics.  Both are below relevant to me.

But, the use of the N-word by the black community is an interesting topic and dynamic to me.  I understand the arguement that it is different when one black calls another the N-word.  But, it just seems to me that using a word that is THAT inflammatory to the African American race (and rightfully has such deep rooted meaning) would not be something that would become part of the sub-culture.

I would find it interesting and enlightening to have that discussion with someone who could really explain it.

the thing is that entire discussion misses the bigger stuff she was accused of.  even from the beginning it was never just the word, it was stuff like wanting a "slave wedding" or w/e, at least to me.

#17 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,859 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:19 AM

i couldn't care less what she thinks, but the reason it's a debate is because of all the people running in to defend her with "well i hope walmart decides to pull all 'those peoples' albums too since they get to use the N-word without challenge, double standards make me so mad!!!!"

which is a fuging stupid argument but it's spreading across the internetz preying on people without an education/critical thinking skills/an understanding of language and power

exactly. my stupid ass cousin who lives on the west coast shared this on fb. I've seen a few more pop up on my wall.

Attached File  946204_517435655005337_984245368_n.jpg   76.37KB   17 downloads

#18 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:20 AM

lol, I think we all have the same stupid cousins.

#19 X-Clown

X-Clown

Positive Polly

• HUDDLER
  • 5,351 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:00 AM

Lets look at the individual allegations...

She confirmed this one as true...pretty terrible.

It seems like if these three were true or the whole picture it would have come out by now. It may be true, but a half truth. It seems like all three stem from one issue, no black folks were hired to work the front of the restaurant, which is the third point. The other two stem from that one. Many restaurants require kitchen staff to enter through the back as they are not typically dressed to be seen. Same thing with bathrooms. Not many allow kitchen staff to walk out of the kitchen and use the customers rest room. Not many higher end places want their cooks pissing next to the customers.

So the only real issue with these three could be "Why didn't Paula or Paula's restaurant manager hire minorities to work the front of the restaurant." I think its a valid question. How many employees are there? Have they ever had minority wait staff? That should all come out.

None of these are anything Paula said or did. Are we going to start laying blame on people for what their relatives do? I hope not, I have some F'd up family.

This one is confusing. So her son's best friend made a racially charged statement and she "slapped him on the wrist" Is that literal or figurative? So she did not approve of his racism? Also, why the ... after  "when Paula Dean found out ..." What was left out there?

All in all it seems like there may be a legitimate case for Paula not having diversity in her restaurants. That should be explored and settled.

It's a long read but the document that Philly linked goes into more detail about some of the questions you're raising.

#20 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:38 PM

I just read that the plaintiff in the lawsuit is white.

#21 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 33,674 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:46 PM

It's definitely more than just her use of the n-word years ago...  at the least she's complicit in racial discrimination in the workplace.

#22 88 Bronco

88 Bronco

• HUDDLER
  • 5,901 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:41 PM

Lets look at the individual allegations...

She confirmed this one as true...pretty terrible.

It seems like if these three were true or the whole picture it would have come out by now. It may be true, but a half truth. It seems like all three stem from one issue, no black folks were hired to work the front of the restaurant, which is the third point. The other two stem from that one. Many restaurants require kitchen staff to enter through the back as they are not typically dressed to be seen. Same thing with bathrooms. Not many allow kitchen staff to walk out of the kitchen and use the customers rest room. Not many higher end places want their cooks pissing next to the customers.

So the only real issue with these three could be "Why didn't Paula or Paula's restaurant manager hire minorities to work the front of the restaurant." I think its a valid question. How many employees are there? Have they ever had minority wait staff? That should all come out.

None of these are anything Paula said or did. Are we going to start laying blame on people for what their relatives do? I hope not, I have some F'd up family.

This one is confusing. So her son's best friend made a racially charged statement and she "slapped him on the wrist" Is that literal or figurative? So she did not approve of his racism? Also, why the ... after  "when Paula Dean found out ..." What was left out there?

All in all it seems like there may be a legitimate case for Paula not having diversity in her restaurants. That should be explored and settled.

Her brother's behavior is relevant as she is co-owner in his restaurant.

#23 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:50 PM

Her brother's behavior is relevant as she is co-owner in his restaurant.

So people can be condemned for what their business partners say?

#24 88 Bronco

88 Bronco

• HUDDLER
  • 5,901 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:56 PM

Without knowing the specifics regarding the case, this could be used to show a pattern of behavior. If nothing else, it shows what kind of people she's willing to enter business ventures with. Zod, you being a business owner, have some concern for your company's brand. Would you enter a business venture with a racist?

#25 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:58 PM

Without knowing the specifics regarding the case, this could be used to show a pattern of behavior. If nothing else, it shows what kind of people she's willing to enter business ventures with. Zod, you being a business owner, have some concern for your company's brand. Would you enter a business venture with a racist?

Only if she was really hot and loose.

#26 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 21,081 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:02 PM

exactly. my stupid ass cousin who lives on the west coast shared this on fb. I've seen a few more pop up on my wall.

attachicon.gif946204_517435655005337_984245368_n.jpg

lol i literally just got into a massive argument on facebook over that very one. it's amazing how many people are willing to reject intelligent, thoughtful arguments in favor of assuming their position is correct "because common sense!"

#27 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,859 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:33 PM

^ i'm just so tired of all this "political correctness"

i don't get into politics on fb especially after a father threatened and told me i was completely disrespectful for stating my opinion about his 24 year old daughters' post about glenn beck and obama. i'm not really a big obama supporter either.

poo is just not worth it on fb.

#28 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The holy ghost of Mr. Miyagi

• HUDDLER
  • 6,158 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:33 PM

I cannot wait for her to speak at the next Republican GOP convention.

To those who say why should we care...In the grand scheme she is nobody...but why it matters in a media sense is bc there are millions who adore her and she is fast becoming a brand in cooking and for household products and food companies.

So the fact that she is just a total sterotype of the Old South is quite disappointing.

Bless Her heart and where did Hey Yall go anyway.

#29 Guest_HelloWorld_*

Guest_HelloWorld_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:00 PM

Her comments and behavior was horrible and her comments were unacceptable.  She deserves all of the backlash that she gets from this.

However, I am AMAZED at how many people actually care what someone like freakin' Paula Dean thinks or says about ANYTHING. 

I can think of over 100,000 people whose opinion means anything more than a fart in the wind to me........and Paula Dean's name is nowhere near that list.

I wonder who would Paula Deen root for in a Tennis match between Serena & Sharapova. That colorblind Deen.

#30 Guest_HelloWorld_*

Guest_HelloWorld_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:27 PM

Looks like this forum is only visited by the enlightened white men. I was hoping to hear from the real southern white men what they really think. Or are they all banned!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com