Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HR phone interview question. I broke my own rule of salary talk.

43 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I'm apparently being recruited also. I have my second phone interview today...or the formal phone interview.

It would be a side step with much more growth potential....I'm maxed for growth currently.

They mentioned a really strong comp package and I basically ignored the statement and continued asking them about how they run their comp.

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

It will be interesting.

I would be working for a boutique MSFT integrator. and running sales for 5 states...I've kind of enjoyed being on the manufacturing side of the house for the last 3 years. Resellers always have me wary.

Posted · Report post

It will be interesting.

I would be working for a boutique MSFT integrator. and running sales for 5 states...I've kind of enjoyed being on the manufacturing side of the house for the last 3 years. Resellers always have me wary.

Not sure exactly what you are saying here, but if you are saying that the middlemen make you nervous, I certainly understand why.

Posted · Report post

Basically....they are going to throw some serious $$$ at me and at goal it's ridiculous but I'm still hesitant. It's more Account Exec/direct sales vs Business Dev/CHannel Sales

Posted · Report post

Gotcha.

Do what's best for your family and your happiness, and you will be fine.

I am going to have to take a step down at some point, even if it means less $$ just because of personal happiness and stress level.

Posted · Report post

A nice perk of being in IT is that I don't have to negotiate pay.  Recruiters take care of that and they have every reason to press as high as possible.  I usually tell them I want about 10-15K more than I actually think I'll get.  

Posted · Report post

speaking of pay. on that additional app they emailed me i put my range on there and had the 2nd phone and then face to face and nobody mentioned pay in the face to face.

in the 2nd i did ask about bonus or incentive plans and the hiring mgr mentioned the particular group im going for has one big annual one and goes lets just say there are times when you get one you go oh, i can get a new car now.

now to me. that can mean many things. either 5k or more or 500 to put down towards a new car. lol

just trying to be patient on this because i know its a great move forward.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

So mine progressed to the point I met with the president today.

We talked compensation past and future. ...he then asked to see my W2s. I said no. He was taken a back and said that he requires it. Is that a normal request?

We continued on and he wants to hire me....I baked in a higher base salary in my past job as there was a chasm between the two salaries but would have issues with such a request if everything matched up too

Posted · Report post

W2 seems intrusive. I would have said no as well.

Posted · Report post

Yeah I've now asked numerous elders and experienced execs and they said it was shady.

Meh that'll be in my email response along with denying them current customer references

Posted · Report post

Requesting to see W2s is pretty common. Shows pretty quickly if you're bullshitting or not about being successful in sales.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

See I've never heard that request before. It was new to me as I was BSing my base salary bc the increase in base was substantial.

Duly noted.

And live and learn.