#91 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,102 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:24 AM

Hilarious how many ignorant basketball fans that we have here.

Wanting to continue to suck....in the hopes of placing high in the lottery....to select a player that you HOPE is a stud..........this is the worst strategy ever

We have had high lottery picks for years and it has netted us a bad team.  Now you would rather continue that moronic strategy rather than add talented vet pieces to your team.

Amazing

#92 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 19,713 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:43 AM

Whats pretty sad is how excited a franchise base is to have a legitimate starter on the team.

You'd think we just signed a perennial all star.

#93 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 17,102 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:47 AM

Whats pretty sad is how excited a franchise base is to have a legitimate starter on the team.

He is a HOF talent compared to what we have had for years.

#94 Zaximus

Zaximus

I'm Brett Jensen

• HUDDLER
  • 4,410 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:51 AM

Even though he hasn't made an all-star team he's had all-star numbers, just was on small market teams and we all know how that goes.  Plus the all-star selection is, meh.

It's pretty huge for a basketball team though where one guy CAN change things pretty significantly on the court.  Not to mention we've had some terrible big men since this team started.  Okafor was probably our best and he's mostly average.  Jefferson is immediately the best player in franchise history and you have to be excited that he chose to sign here instead of some other larger markets as this could change the way all free agents look upon landing here.

#95 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 19,713 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:52 AM

He is a HOF talent compared to what we have had for years.

Yes, and thats what is most sad.

#96 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

No please, tell me more about this Amway....sounds promising

• HUDDLER
  • 4,997 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:23 AM

I do not think anyone really wants to continue to suck but since we already with that program what is one more year in the grand scheme of things.

Is there risk banking on these young guys coming out in college(if they come out?)... sure.

Do they possess natural athletic ability, skills and qualities and would have been the top three picks of this draft if they were able to come out of HS? Yes.

I believe like most everyone that covers Basketball that if you are going to be bad this would be the year to do it. It is why Philly traded quality players, Boston decided to rebuild along with a host of other teams that are always rebuilding.

The Al Jefferson signing is a quality signing that is a temp. conerstone and reminds me when F/C Armon Gilliam was a scoring vet(no defense) before Larry Johnson was picked with the Hornets. So I kind of feel like we still will be in the 5-9 range in the lotto record wise at best.

Now the Bobcats have to shake or trying to shake the reputation of being a team on the cheap patchworking misfits with an eternal coaching carosel. A direction and stability will do wonders for this team.

Free agency as we just watched is expensive so the star will probally have to come from the draft...but not intentionally to tank to do so. Winning attracts players.

The team should try to accumulate more picks if possible and do a major 3 picks for one of the top 3 if for some reason we string an 8th seed playoff run.

There are ways to still get the top guys next season unless of course Stephon Curry just wants to join the team then go after a young star like him..invest in ankle braces.

#97 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed Moncrief 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,289 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:47 AM

tanking in the NBA is the dumbest thing to do because of the NBA lottery.

#98 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

JASON VERRETT 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 15,535 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:15 AM

No need to Kudo me sir, I know my basketball and I called the Al Jefferson signing before FA. I know I wasn't here long but I called it.

Didn't we have this conversation already?
Many people on here called it long before you even showed up here.

And pretty easy to name the top5 centers. Doesn't take rocket science. I could name all the Presidents in backward order. Doesn't mean I know my presidents.

#YOLO

#99 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:16 AM

I dont get people who dont consider tanking a legitimate strategy for building an NBA team.  Not only do NBA franchises tank for higher picks all the time, but it works too (Thunder are the obvious example).  It certainly wont work all the time, and its not gonna work if your front office doesnt know what the fug they are doing (looking at you Minnesota). 

A lot of teams dont tank (Houston is a good example), and prefer to build a team that actually tries to win.  Some teams say they wont tank, then do it anyways (Danny Ainge).  There are a lot of ways to build a team, and tanking is a part of the building process for certain teams. 

If you think tanking is a bad way to build a team, feel free to make arguments against it, I've seen plenty of good ones.  But if you think its irrelevant in the NBA you just dont know what the fug you're talking about

#100 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

JASON VERRETT 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 15,535 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:38 AM

Hilarious how many ignorant basketball fans that we have here.

Wanting to continue to suck....in the hopes of placing high in the lottery....to select a player that you HOPE is a stud..........this is the worst strategy ever

We have had high lottery picks for years and it has netted us a bad team. Now you would rather continue that moronic strategy rather than add talented vet pieces to your team.

Amazing

Well, if that's the case then you point the finger to MJ.

Just looking at the previous few years, we could've had this team now:

PG: Jrue Holiday
SG: Ben McLemore
SF: Harrison Barnes
PF: Joakim Noah
C : Brook Lopez

#101 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 17,102 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:00 PM

Well, if that's the case then you point the finger to MJ.

Just looking at the previous few years, we could've had this team now:

PG: Jrue Holiday
SG: Ben McLemore
SF: Harrison Barnes
PF: Joakim Noah
C : Brook Lopez

I agree 100%.

We have historically sucked at drafting.....so having a strategy to suck and depend on drafting seems illogical.

#102 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 20,109 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina/Virginia

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:09 PM

Where is this notion that Al Jefferson is an all-star coming from? Al Jefferson has never been elected to an all-star game.

#103 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 20,109 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina/Virginia

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:11 PM

The Thunder utilized Cho's background in both law and mathematics when negotiating trades, free agent signings, and interpreting the NBA's complex collective bargaining agreement. This guy had a direct hand in choosing draft picks and building that team though.

At the end of the day, it wasn't his call though...

It's clear that OKC had/has a very capable GM in place.

Remember, Cho got fired by Portland.

#104 Zaximus

Zaximus

I'm Brett Jensen

• HUDDLER
  • 4,410 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:28 PM

Cho got fired after one year, which probably means they ownership was just going in a new direction.  You can't give a GM one year.  

Tanking CAN work, sure, no one is saying it won't.  But the chances of it not working, are pretty high.  I just need to macro the reasons to not tank so I don't have to type this every 3-4 days I guess lol.   But nothing is guaranteed, especially with 8 teams or more tanking this year.  The worst team in the league hasn't had the first pick in at least 10 years or so right?   Not to mention we continuously get screwed in the lottery.   Then you have the fact that these players that are playing high school ball may not be who we think they are, once they get to college and play with more competition.  Tons of examples of this.   So people can't say "just one more year" because if you take the tanking mindset it could be years and years.    This team doesn't have the fanbase to withstand more tanking.  Jordan probably realized it's time to ride the momentum of the name change and put a fun/competitive team on the court.   

#105 micnificent28

micnificent28

• HUDDLER
  • 2,696 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:22 PM

I love the jefferson signing,but at the same time i think tanking this season is still the way to go. Yes it has never worked out for us but We all know how the NBA goes,No superstar and your stuck in 5-11 range of playoffs forever. I'm all for tanking for wiggins or parker or even smart. If were lucky enuff to land any of those three it would be well worth it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users