Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SZ James (banned)

Its not racist when it's a fact?

246 posts in this topic

culture of poverty is victim blaming and the idea that differences in achievement across races can be attributed solely to the effects of economic inequality ignores the effects of racism

Except when our racist society just so happens to ease up on those who work hard and value education.

sdfvsdfvuntitled-1-8.gif

screen%20shot%202013-05-30%20at%206.54.2

The stereotype is thinking the race of the shooter is relevant.

You are so enlightened!

Don't talk about race in a thread about race, silly!

Except when our racist society just so happens to ease up on those who work hard and value education.

sdfvsdfvuntitled-1-8.gif

screen%20shot%202013-05-30%20at%206.54.2

That tells me more about immigration than race.

Two facts to connect:

About three quarters of all Asian-Americans were foreign born.

About 43% of all African born Americans have a Bachelor's degree or higher. That's almost double the national average.

OK good then we both agree that it's not about non-white people being held back by racism.

The common definition of stereotype is taking something with some basis in fact and generalizing it to a larger population. So i think stereotypes and facts are somewhat mutually exclusive.

Example: Muslims are terrorists. The fact is that there are radical Muslims that are involved with terrorism. The generalization is that all Muslims are terrorists which is not factual.

Using qualifiers of any type is a generalization, a stereotype, and a fallacy. Saying "Not ALL Muslims are terrorists, just MOST of them are" is still a statistical syllogism and stupid when you use it to reaffirm whatever dumb conclusion you've made.

I also think this is worth noting even if we all think hardwork is a meaningless conservative talking point (which it's not).

2012-sdt-asian-americans-003-1.png

Using qualifiers of any type is a generalization, a stereotype, and a fallacy. Saying "Not ALL Muslims are terrorists, just MOST of them are" is still a statistical syllogism and stupid when you use it to reaffirm whatever dumb conclusion you've made.

lol who said that?

OK good then we both agree that it's not about non-white people being held back by racism.

That's quite the logical leap.

Immigrants in america are well educated because US immigration policies make it much easier for educated people to become citizens

I dont see the connection to the generally poor social mobility in the US

1 person likes this