Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The 46 Defense.....

47 posts in this topic

Posted

I think it prudent to make your base defensive package effective and then work on the nuances.  First thought is to get Nak and Norman to give less than a 20 or 30 yard cushion.  After that lets work on the wrinkles.

2 people like this

Posted

<“I’ve seen what a feeding frenzy looks like,” Gettleman has said.  “We had a game against Philadelphia a few years back where we had 12 sacks, and we had a game against Chicago where we sacked Cutler 10 times.  I really believe in it.  Can it mask issues in the secondary?  Of course it does.”>

I think Dave has Chico's ear and I think you can expect a lot of pressure regardless of scheme.

5 people like this

Posted

Here's how you defend the spread using the 46

4 people like this

Posted

Here's how you defend the spread using the 46

OK.  Three things. 

Number one - I enjoyed the video, it really explained a lot.  Pie for you.

Number two - The things it explained made me want to avoid it at almost all costs (too much risk).

Number three - I couldn't help but notice that your avatar in the #5 jersey looks similar to the guy doing the video.

4 people like this

Posted

I kind of think that if the 46 was a viable defense, someone would have used it in the last 25 years...

1 person likes this

Posted

I think it would be cool to mix it in in certain games for sure but I don't think it's something that would be effective enough to be your base defense in today's game.

1 person likes this

Posted

Appreciate the conversation without flaming, lots of respected posters weighing in...

I'd like to reply to most of yous but I'm on my phone so I'm not....

@Frash & FootballCzar -I was going to post that in reply in the AM, thanks Emory...

@PhillyB -cant tell if serious/Futurama pic

@Cyberjag -it has been, will post link tomorrow...

@CashNewtn22 -like I said, I believe we will see 46 looks, it will not be our base D... "We're all out of bubblegum" if you will...

Posted

I kind of think that if the 46 was a viable defense, someone would have used it in the last 25 years...

It is used by the Jets under Ryan and by Cleveland when Rob Ryan was there. If you said used by anyone not named Ryan in the last 25 years you might have a point. Lol.
1 person likes this

Posted

Really, thanks to All that know more about football than I do giving their $.02...

Read somewhere the Cardinals used it in the '90s...

Posted

<“I’ve seen what a feeding frenzy looks like,” Gettleman has said.  “We had a game against Philadelphia a few years back where we had 12 sacks, and we had a game against Chicago where we sacked Cutler 10 times.  I really believe in it.  Can it mask issues in the secondary?  Of course it does.”>

fappity fap

Posted

I am of the belief that the 46 is still in Rivera's head. It is the driving force behind his propensity to love his Safeties. Quicker than LBs, and tougher than CBs. Best case, they can both cover and tackle.

I truly believe he would love to run a 4DL-2LB,2CB, and 3S package. Get pressure with you front 4 and you can attack from anywhere. Keep your 2CB on the 2WR, and you use the other 5 guys to confuse and aggravate the O. That said. I am interested to see how many Safeties we keep this year. For me it will be a barometer on how close I am to guessing the Defense Rivera would like to run.

It is damn near impossible to stop those dinky dunky fugging Offenses. But one sure fire way to slow it down is to be able to apply pressure with just your front 4, and confuse the QB with your other 7. We have the potential to apply pressure. The jury is still out on how Rivera will use that back 7.

And just to keep this tangent going. Most teams don't have the personnel to run 4 and 5 WR sets effectively. The talent falls off after the first 2 or 3. If you can use your Safeties to help cover, you can use them in other ways as well. Different cover schemes. Blitz from anywhere. Don't Blitz. Anything you can do to confuse the O is a help.

Ah hellz, I think I have confused myself. More Safeties good. More CBs bad.

3 people like this