Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The 46 Defense.....

47 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

If the conversation is about whether or not we are going to blitz 5-6 guys on many plays, I think the answer is yes we will. So we will essentially borrow the concept of overloading the blockers with more defenders than they can handle to blitz the quarterback.  The bigger question is whether we will use the 4-6 as a often used formation and I don't think we will.   The 4-6 in its purest form uses 1 free safety, i strong safety and 2 corners with 3 linebackers (2 of which are on or near the line of scrimmage). The strong safety also plays within 3 yards of the line of scrimmage and the corners play man on the wide receivers.

Last year we used the nickel formation over 1/3 of the time if my memory serves correctly.  Most times we were able to get sufficient pressure using just 4 down limemen and we dropped the linebackers in zone coverage.  The goal was to make teams like New Orleans throw quickly in front of the backers and limit YAC.  When we sent blitzers instead of sending the farm we just overloaded one part of the line or one area rather than sending everyone.  This was due in some part to feeling that the secondary might be suspect and our corners were not great in man coverage most of the year.

Until the secondary proves that they can cover in zone and man I can't see us blitzing 6 or 7 guys essentially putting the corners and free safety in one on one matchups against the likes of receivers in the division and on teams we will face this year.  I think we will use pressure but that we will be selective and more targeted than an all out blitz which is what the 4-6 often became. Look at what Jim Johnson did as an example of what we will do rather than Buddy Ryan although Johnson, Ryan, Rivera and McDermott all coached for the Eagles at one point or another.

3 people like this

Posted · Report post

I cant say that we will use the 46 defense or any team will for the matter. The 46 was designed and used in an ear of football that was a run heavy. This day and age its pass heavy.  Unless you can get a great pass rush and a strong secondary(Which Carolina does not have right now) I see this as being a failure from the get go.

Posted · Report post

Appreciate the conversation without flaming, lots of respected posters weighing in...

I'd like to reply to most of yous but I'm on my phone so I'm not....

@Frash & FootballCzar -I was going to post that in reply in the AM, thanks Emory...
@PhillyB -cant tell if serious/Futurama pic
@Cyberjag -it has been, will post link tomorrow...
@CashNewtn22 -like I said, I believe we will see 46 looks, it will not be our base D... "We're all out of bubblegum" if you will...

I got you man....hopefully we won't have to see to much of it but I'm positive it can be a great "change of pace" defense if you will from time to time.

Posted · Report post

lolz

So you don't think that Ryan is one of the better QB's in the league?

I certainly do.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

46 Defense will have it's uses and the Panthers could set up a nice 46 package. I could see it used within the 10 yard line  for sure. In close range I think you could even run Thomas Davis as the Strong Safety

Godfrey         

- Beason - Keuchly- Klein- Davis      

J. Norman        Hardy- Star- Edwards- Johnson                       J. Thomas

Or

Godfrey

- Davis - Beason- Keuchly- Lester

J. Norman     Hardy- Star- Edwards- Johnson               J. Thomas

Posted · Report post

TCU's 4-2-5 defense is the best base D vs. the spread IMO.

Posted · Report post

Would it not make more sense to blitz more people when your DL individual talent is sub par? Mask your weakness.

If we assume that our DL plays to its potential than we should generate enough pressure with those 4 guys to want to play more coverage in order to generate more turnovers.

In theory I agree that we might use this formation a few times but our secondary is too suspect to want to leave them on their own. I would rather play traditional 43 D as our base.

Posted · Report post

Also, isn't every offensive or defensive formation unbeatable on paper?

Posted · Report post

OK.  Three things. 

Number one - I enjoyed the video, it really explained a lot.  Pie for you.

Number two - The things it explained made me want to avoid it at almost all costs (too much risk).

Number three - I couldn't help but notice that your avatar in the #5 jersey looks similar to the guy doing the video.

Lol! Yep that's me during my UL Ragin Cajun days :)

If you're running the 46, you better have the secondary to make it work..otherwise, you'll get eaten alive

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Lol! Yep that's me during my UL Ragin Cajun days :)

If you're running the 46, you better have the secondary to make it work..otherwise, you'll get eaten alive

The Jets a few years back had the perfect team for this with Revis and Crom on the outside

Posted · Report post

4-6 was good.... back in the 80's where running game was a priority