Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The 46 Defense.....

47 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

thomas davis is really our only blitzing LBr and I'm not even sure if that's a strength of his

Posted · Report post

it's 46, not 4-6

4-6 would imply 4 down linemen and 6 linebackers, leaving only one db lining up in the secondary
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Lol! Yep that's me during my UL Ragin Cajun days :)

If you're running the 46, you better have the secondary to make it work..otherwise, you'll get eaten alive

I salute you sir. I never had the guts to play the game...or the size, or speed, or strength, or skill.

Posted · Report post

Watch on Youtube, Miami vs. Chicago 1985. 31-10 at halftime.

Posted · Report post

I've seen replays of that game, mentioned it in my op.. I get that it was figured out. I think we are going to use it more in theory, relentless pressure, than as a regular formation. Some even said it here -"why rush 6 or 7 when you only need 4?" Or something thereabouts... It's a feeling I have, thought it was worth discussin, and it is. Lots of good point brought up in this thread, nahmean?

I absolutely appreciate all the replies, all the opinions, all the insight....

Can I unanswer the thread? The "answer" was supposed to be pie...

Posted · Report post

TCU's 4-2-5 defense is the best base D vs. the spread IMO.

Commonly called a nickel defense.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

A 46 with our secondary.

That's all I have to say.

Posted · Report post

Commonly called a nickel defense.

Nickle could also be 3-3-5, etc. Also I believe TCU employees 3 safeties which is different.

Posted · Report post

Nickle could also be 3-3-5, etc.

Correct.  You can also run a 3-3-5 and put one of your backers on the line to rush much like Harrison did for Pittsburgh and you have a 3-3-5 that functions just like a 4-2-5.  There are various options but what is constant is the 5 defensive backs which is the crucial part when defending the spread. Whether you play a 4-2 or a 3-3 isn't as important as having enough secondary defenders to cover all of the spread elements.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Correct. You can also run a 3-3-5 and put one of your backers on the line to rush much like Harrison did for Pittsburgh and you have a 3-3-5 that functions just like a 4-2-5. There are various options but what is constant is the 5 defensive backs which is the crucial part when defending the spread. Whether you play a 4-2 or a 3-3 isn't as important as having enough secondary defenders to cover all of the spread elements.

Yes I agree. I just edited my post above and noted TCUs use of 3 "safeties" where one is pretty much a lb. Bottomline is having length and speed all over the field.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Back in the day when defensive players could hit QBs late and not get fined my annual salary...