Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The 46 Defense.....

47 posts in this topic

Posted

thomas davis is really our only blitzing LBr and I'm not even sure if that's a strength of his

Posted

it's 46, not 4-6

4-6 would imply 4 down linemen and 6 linebackers, leaving only one db lining up in the secondary

1 person likes this

Posted

Lol! Yep that's me during my UL Ragin Cajun days :)

If you're running the 46, you better have the secondary to make it work..otherwise, you'll get eaten alive

I salute you sir. I never had the guts to play the game...or the size, or speed, or strength, or skill.

Posted

Watch on Youtube, Miami vs. Chicago 1985. 31-10 at halftime.

Posted

I've seen replays of that game, mentioned it in my op.. I get that it was figured out. I think we are going to use it more in theory, relentless pressure, than as a regular formation. Some even said it here -"why rush 6 or 7 when you only need 4?" Or something thereabouts... It's a feeling I have, thought it was worth discussin, and it is. Lots of good point brought up in this thread, nahmean?

I absolutely appreciate all the replies, all the opinions, all the insight....

Can I unanswer the thread? The "answer" was supposed to be pie...

Posted

TCU's 4-2-5 defense is the best base D vs. the spread IMO.

Commonly called a nickel defense.

1 person likes this

Posted

A 46 with our secondary.

That's all I have to say.

Posted

Commonly called a nickel defense.

Nickle could also be 3-3-5, etc. Also I believe TCU employees 3 safeties which is different.

Posted

Nickle could also be 3-3-5, etc.

Correct.  You can also run a 3-3-5 and put one of your backers on the line to rush much like Harrison did for Pittsburgh and you have a 3-3-5 that functions just like a 4-2-5.  There are various options but what is constant is the 5 defensive backs which is the crucial part when defending the spread. Whether you play a 4-2 or a 3-3 isn't as important as having enough secondary defenders to cover all of the spread elements.

1 person likes this

Posted

Correct. You can also run a 3-3-5 and put one of your backers on the line to rush much like Harrison did for Pittsburgh and you have a 3-3-5 that functions just like a 4-2-5. There are various options but what is constant is the 5 defensive backs which is the crucial part when defending the spread. Whether you play a 4-2 or a 3-3 isn't as important as having enough secondary defenders to cover all of the spread elements.

Yes I agree. I just edited my post above and noted TCUs use of 3 "safeties" where one is pretty much a lb. Bottomline is having length and speed all over the field.

1 person likes this

Posted

Back in the day when defensive players could hit QBs late and not get fined my annual salary...