Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Matt Stafford: 27.5 million signing bonus

91 posts in this topic

Posted

I know this is the "trend" and that the teams that can do it will continue to do so, but I think that we are seeing some backlash from paying these QB's insane money in flat cap years.

Brady and Manning skewed our vision a bit.  Those two are good enough to not have much of a team around them and still reel off 11 wins.  Paying the Bens, Flaccos, Rivers, and now Staffords, and Ryans will take a lot of money from other positions.

I know, I said this before and folks laughed, but there are a lot of teams that are doing pretty well using good QB's that are still on their rookie deals, and surrounding them with talent.

Posted

Heh you kinda left out the biggest star on the team - Calvin. Guess that can be attributed to it being late though :)

Oops. How could I forget Megatron? My bad.

Posted

If he gives us a playoff year and at least one win in there, he can ask for whatever he wants as far as I'm concerned.

No playoffs though? Gettleman better use that as leverage.

Posted

for some reason i still think Cam will take less than what people expect to make this team better overall. He wants to win.

Completely agree.

Posted

I know this is the "trend" and that the teams that can do it will continue to do so, but I think that we are seeing some backlash from paying these QB's insane money in flat cap years.

Brady and Manning skewed our vision a bit.  Those two are good enough to not have much of a team around them and still reel off 11 wins.  Paying the Bens, Flaccos, Rivers, and now Staffords, and Ryans will take a lot of money from other positions.

I know, I said this before and folks laughed, but there are a lot of teams that are doing pretty well using good QB's that are still on their rookie deals, and surrounding them with talent.

Exactly.  Andy Dalton is not exactly breaking the bank and no where near an elite QB and will not command a crazy contract yet they are building around him and he has led them to the playoffs. I could see a lot more teams interested in someone like him if the quarterbacks keep ruining everyones cap.

Posted

Exactly.  Andy Dalton is not exactly breaking the bank and no where near an elite QB and will not command a crazy contract yet they are building around him and he has led them to the playoffs. I could see a lot more teams interested in someone like him if the quarterbacks keep ruining everyones cap.

Not just him, but look at the Chargers on Rivers' rookie deal.  Look at the Steelers on Ben's rookie deal, Giants on Manning's, Seahawks on Russell's and the 9ers on Kaepernick's.

Didn't even bring up Flacco's or to a lesser extent Ryans.

Posted

Not just him, but look at the Chargers on Rivers' rookie deal.  Look at the Steelers on Ben's rookie deal, Giants on Manning's, Seahawks on Russell's and the 9ers on Kaepernick's.

Didn't even bring up Flacco's or to a lesser extent Ryans.

I completely agree.  The only difference is the rest of these guys are going to command or have received a monster contract already.  A guy like Dalton I would put more as an average QB and will not receive a stupid contract.