tumblr_mi18fqprK91rmtenjo1_400.gif

My name aint Paul. Its Steven Smiff.

#32 CashNewton22

CashNewton22

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:11 PM

He needs to step up and win more than 6 or 7 games a season. If not, I am not sure what type of contract will be offered.

To REALLY cash in, he needs to take this team to the next level and the playoffs.

I agree with you that playoffs will equal more money in his pocket overall but either way he's going to cash in with the Panthers barring the wheels falling off the next two seasons. I mean for Pete's sake we signed Jake Delhomme to a contract extension...granted it was an entirely different regime in charge.

Which reminds me LOL at the Cowboys for giving Tony Romo more money.

Attached Files

#33 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,917 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:33 PM

Not sure if serious.

Mr. Scot being all Cryptic now that he is messing around with nurses.

Everybody's pretty happy right now with the notion that we have a GM who will play hardball on contract negotiations.

Will they still be happy if the guy he's playing hardball with is Cam, or Luke, or Star?

#34 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 13,682 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:40 PM

Everybody's pretty happy right now with the notion that we have a GM who will play hardball on contract negotiations.

Will they still be happy if the guy he's playing hardball with is Cam, or Luke, or Star?

There is a big difference between playing hardball with mid tier players for one year deals who can't get better elsewhere, versus top tier franchise players. Cam is going to get a substantial contract, there's no way around that.

#35 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 39,917 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:51 PM

There is a big difference between playing hardball with mid tier players for one year deals who can't get better elsewhere, versus top tier franchise players. Cam is going to get a substantial contract, there's no way around that.

Don't doubt that at all.

But how certain are you that Newton's agent's idea of 'substantial' will match up with Gettleman's? (ditto other popular players)

There may not be that much difference when the time comes, but if there is, how will fans take to the idea of letting a popular player walk because he's asking for too much?

Worth remembering that the Giants have done that more than once.

#36 TylerVagyler

TylerVagyler

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:02 PM

Stafford is 1-23 against teams with a winning record.

His one win came against a 4-3 team.

#37 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 13,682 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:07 PM

Don't doubt that at all.

But how certain are you that Newton's agent's idea of 'substantial' will match up with Gettleman's? (ditto other popular players)

There may not be that much difference when the time comes, but if there is, how will fans take to the idea of letting a popular player walk because he's asking for too much?

Well first of all, neither of us remotely have any indications of how much he or his agent wants. It's July! Mr. Scot, if you're seriously insinuating our front office would consider not paying our franchise QB, I'm just speechless.

When's the last time the Giants (or any other team) let a franchise QB in his prime walk because of money?

#38 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 39,917 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:14 PM

Well first of all, neither of us remotely have any indications of how much he or his agent wants. It's July! Mr. Scot, if you're seriously insinuating our front office would consider not paying our franchise QB, I'm just speechless.

When's the last time the Giants (or any other team) let a franchise QB in his prime walk because of money?

Do you think Newton's agent can just name his price and Gettleman will pay it without any negotiation?

#39 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,737 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:15 PM

Don't doubt that at all.

Funny but I remember Eli getting a 7 year 109 million contract in 2009 which made him the highest paid quarterback at the time.  Granted he had won one superbowl and deserved every penny but quarterbacks all get big bucks and Newton won't be an exception.  Bottom line is there are not enough franchise quarterbacks to go around so they will get paid given the supply doesn't cover the demand.  

#40 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,737 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:18 PM

Do you think Newton's agent can just name his price and Gettleman will pay it without any negotiation?

Sure there will be negotiations about incentives, guaranteed amounts, number of years, and a bunch of items.  But the overall number will be in line with what other guys are getting which is roughly 18-20 million a year on average,

#41 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 39,917 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:18 PM

Funny but I remember Eli getting a 7 year 109 million contract in 2009 which made him the highest paid quarterback at the time. Granted he had won one superbowl and deserved every penny but quarterbacks all get big bucks and Newton won't be an exception. Bottom line is there are not enough franchise quarterbacks to go around so they will get paid given the supply doesn't cover the demand.

Not disputing Newton will get a big contract.

But if you think there's zero chance of disagreement between Gettleman and Cam's agent about what he's worth, I'd say that's far from certain.

And again, it's not just Newton. Luke, Star, Hardy and others are gonna be looking for paydays too.

#42 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,737 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:22 PM

Not disputing Newton will get a big contract.

But if you think there's zero chance of disagreement between Gettleman and Cam's agent about what he's worth, I'd say that's far from certain.

Of course there will be disagreement. Both sides need to earn their money.  But they both will have an idea of what the overall value will be which might not be that far apart.   But obviously there will be a lot of areas to debate.

#43 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 13,682 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:35 PM

You know that I never said that. There will be lengthy negotiations, like any contract. I simply disagree with your idea that they will be so far apart that Gettleman will simply throw his hands up and let our quarterback walk.

It's absurd to even fathom in the modern NFL. The goal is to win games. First piece to that is a franchise QB.

I'm not worried about Luke, that's far off. As for Hardy, that's a concern. I think he'll want a serious payday.

#44 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 39,917 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:41 PM

You know that I never said that. There will be lengthy negotiations, like any contract. I simply disagree with your idea that they will be so far apart that Gettleman will simply throw his hands up and let our quarterback walk.

It's absurd to even fathom in the modern NFL. The goal is to win games. First piece to that is a franchise QB.

I'm not worried about Luke, that's far off. As for Hardy, that's a concern. I think he'll want a serious payday.

Do me a favor. Quote the post where I said "they will be so far apart that Gettleman will simply throw his hands up and let our quarterback walk."

#45 Guest_HelloWorld_*

Guest_HelloWorld_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:53 PM

Stafford came a few yards short of throwing for 5000+ yards the last 2 seasons, Detriot really isn't going to find anyone better than that.

That's easy to do when half the field is uncovered with all the attention on Calvin Johnson who still bring down 2000 of those 5000 yards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com