Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Article claiming Panthers should NOT decrease read option usage next season

23 posts in this topic

Posted

the 1st 7 games of the season ...

I tivo'd every game.  I watch them often trying to make something different happens.....

1. Silatolu was a grocery store door on pass plays. Think remember the Titans when the QB said just let him go, yep that bad.  Gross gave away the outside edge on a vast majority of the plays and I'm not sure if that was by design or because Siatolu was doing the same thing. I am not an expert but I don't think that's a good thing.  Cams agility covers up a lot of the O line mistakes.

2. The right side of the line was pretty good on passing downs, but on runs, they were horribad.  I mean we tried to run to the right side but it just wasn't there. Center played bad no matter who did it, that included Kalil.

3. Cam either missed or had no checkdowns. Plus he got super duper tunnel vision on any of Steve Smith out routes or square ins.  Tivo of course doesn't tell the story, but he was waiting on plays to develop too long.

4. Combination of 1 and 2, the run game was pretty much non existent.  After the first 4 games Deangelo didn't even think the whole was going to be there. On the read options teams were playing the running backs 85% of the time and Safeties were keying on Cam. (kind of hard to describe unless I had video, but it's really prevalent in the Giants, Bucs and Seahawks games)

Last 9 games.

1. Silatolu a back door with no lock bad in passing plays.  Still pretty bad just not as bad, but I'm not an expert on anything just my observations.  Once again Cam's agility makes him look better than he played. Gross played better but Bell was by far the best Oline player for the entire year..... I know right, cooky.

2. Right side of the line played really good.  Still can't run block(fire off the ball) but they could seal like mofo's so you could bounce it outside. They became super on pass plays.  I mean stifling. Center position solidified.

3.  Cam became Mister 1 read, 2 read, checkdown (Jimmy Clausen was checkdown, 1 read , 2nd read in comparison).  Not sure if it was by design or coaching but he got rid of the ball way faster.  Plus a was a lot more underneath stuff drags, comebacks, wheels, you name it.  When I say a lot more, it was like the difference between Rosie O'donnell and Halle Berry.

4. We figured out we could run to the left side all the time.  Thus Deangelo actually saw some holes.  Plus we started giving Tolbert a lot more carries and he just made holes.

2 people like this

Posted

Not really related, but is there a website that scouted/tracked all the plays from last season? Never got around to purchasing the NFL GameRewind last year, new baby and all, to play with the all-22 video.

No prob if it's a pay site, just need to sift thru data.

Posted

Not really related, but is there a website that scouted/tracked all the plays from last season? Never got around to purchasing the NFL GameRewind last year, new baby and all, to play with the all-22 video.

No prob if it's a pay site, just need to sift thru data.

http://www.derp/2013/7/9/4508740/the-truth-about-the-carolina-panthers-read-option#172590575

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AoYlQP-ovPSpdGUxdVRsUDhvOXhPR21xcVk1MVFmZ0E#gid=0

Some interesting tidbit from this breakdown.  There were only 8 0 or negative plays out of the read option last season and most were from misreads.

The read option was not the issue last season and we would be foolish to get too far away from it.

1 person likes this

Posted

Execution.

Of offense didn't execute well or consistently.

That is to be expected when injuries plague the oline.

Posted

http://ht.ly/nnjzT

Defending the Read-Option

Pro coaches can spend as much time as they'd like searching for a magic read-option cure-all on college campuses. They aren't going to find one. College defensive coordinators are as likely to complain about the difficulty of defending the multifaceted offenses so prevalent in college football as they are to claim they have all the answers. And a quick perusal of any Saturday afternoon games — or a statistics page — shows that the read-option is hardly being stamped out in the college ranks. The read-option poses real problems, problems that demand more than one solution.

1 person likes this

Posted

Joe Person @josephperson 21h

FB Mike Tolbert doesn't see Panthers running significantly less zone read. Said that package fits Cam very well.

Posted

Read option will still be used as an addition to our offense, not the core of our offense.

Posted

Please god... I-formation

Posted

When we ran it and the amount we ran it absolutely was a problem early last year.

Agreed. I wouldn't mind running it occasionally, but definitely not as much as we did last year.

Posted

Agreed. I wouldn't mind running it occasionally, but definitely not as much as we did last year.

And in the right circumstances. Chud would not take what the defense gave, it's like it was scripted and Chud would call what he wanted to call, not what should have been called.

Posted

And in the right circumstances. Chud would not take what the defense gave, it's like it was scripted and Chud would call what he wanted to call, not what should have been called.

That's true as well. I rewatched part of the first Falcons game last night, and one particular read option play from the first quarter struck me as being very disjointed from the flow of the game. The intermediate passing game and I formation running game were working very well, and then suddenly we come out in a very obvious read-option play on 2nd-and-long and loses a couple yards and sets us up for a lousy 3rd-and-long.