• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#31 Manos

Manos

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:42 PM

The last really good thong on espn was the 30 for 30 series. I haven't seen all of them but the ones I did see were very entertaining/informative watches.

#32 Cary Kollins

Cary Kollins

keep lbing

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:50 PM

I haven't seen a second of espn since I cancelled my cable two weeks ago. I literally feel smarter.

#33 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• HUDDLER
  • 11,972 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:02 PM

I haven't seen a second of espn since I cancelled my cable two weeks ago. I literally feel smarter.

This is the main reason they are losing viewers.  They are also killing College Football.

#34 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

No please, tell me more about this Amway....sounds promising

• HUDDLER
  • 4,981 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:31 PM

I watch the 30 for 30 series but mlb, nfl and even nba networks are the ones killing them.

Mlb is light years better than baseball tonight.. Which is one of the better programs they do. NFL 32 is a joke.

It has just become a top 10 show and lotsa yelling in between.

It is getting old

#35 KendrickPanther

KendrickPanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 5,531 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:13 AM

I like the NFL Network. They tend to cover the winners the most but they will cover everyone at least a little.

#36 Carolinaboy1979

Carolinaboy1979

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationThe Piedmont

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:20 AM

I like the NFL Network. They tend to cover the winners the most but they will cover everyone at least a little.

Agreed. Don't really care for the hosts of NFL AM but total access is pretty good. The majority of their programming is way better than NFL related stuff that ESPN offers.

#37 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 14,277 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:33 AM

I'd say ESPN went down the crapper when they got into "sports entertainment," not "sports."  You know, like that horribly over-dramatic soap opera "Playmakers" a few years back.  Then they serve you up some hot, steamy ish like "Cold Pizza," which then gave way to full time trolling-counter trolling format in the form of Bayless and Stephen A.

When they decided to lean towards entertainment versus actually sports, that's when they jumped the shark.  Too much emphasis on their personalities and not enough on the sports.

I remember watching them broadcast lumberjack contests when I was a kid when it was a slow time of the year in sports (like right now - after basketball, before football starts back).  Now they have a "debate" show with a guest cameo by a horribly shallow and heavily-influenced-by-drugs hip-hop artist, to whom they suck up to non-stop during their appearances.  It's just too much...

#38 Brandon

Brandon

Everything and Nothing

• HUDDLER
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:00 AM

A WHOLE PIE!

Agreed. Don't really care for the hosts of NFL AM but total access is pretty good. The majority of their programming is way better than NFL related stuff that ESPN offers.

NFL AM makes me want to jab the remote control through my eye socket it's so terrible. They're trying to make it the Today Show of the NFL and unfortunately, that's a terrible idea full stop.

The real problem with ESPN and some of these sports networks is that they've stopped trying to inform the audience and are instead trying to dazzle them. They talk about vague things like "he wanted it more" and "this guy just wins games" rather than "they executed a perfect defense to take their best player effectively out of the game"  or "this guy has a tremendous supporting cast and here's why the wins may not tell the whole story". I understand it's easier to make flashy content, and hell it drove ratings up for a while, but people got bored of it and a lot of people are dropping cable because cable television has literally gone to complete poo over the past 3 years.

The worst thing about cable TV at the moment is that the History Channel is now a reality TV network, everything on TruTV is a lie, MTV hasn't shown a music video in prime time since I graduated college, SciFi is now SyFy, Travel Channel is now "slightly weird food network", and ESPN has stopped actually covering sports and has now switched to some sort of athlete melodrama that occasionally airs sporting events as well. I could go on but now I'm too worked up to sleep and I have a meeting in the morning. God dammit.

#39 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 14,277 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:11 AM

NFL AM makes me want to jab the remote control through my eye socket it's so terrible. They're trying to make it the Today Show of the NFL and unfortunately, that's a terrible idea full stop.

The real problem with ESPN and some of these sports networks is that they've stopped trying to inform the audience and are instead trying to dazzle them. They talk about vague things like "he wanted it more" and "this guy just wins games" rather than "they executed a perfect defense to take their best player effectively out of the game"  or "this guy has a tremendous supporting cast and here's why the wins may not tell the whole story". I understand it's easier to make flashy content, and hell it drove ratings up for a while, but people got bored of it and a lot of people are dropping cable because cable television has literally gone to complete poo over the past 3 years.

The worst thing about cable TV at the moment is that the History Channel is now a reality TV network, everything on TruTV is a lie, MTV hasn't shown a music video in prime time since I graduated college, SciFi is now SyFy, Travel Channel is now "slightly weird food network", and ESPN has stopped actually covering sports and has now switched to some sort of athlete melodrama that occasionally airs sporting events as well. I could go on but now I'm too worked up to sleep and I have a meeting in the morning.

Man, THIS.  THIS.  THIS.

I was telling a friend the same thing a couple weeks ago.  MTV is almost a bigger joke now than ESPN has become.  I thought the "M" was for music?  TruTV aka FictionalTV.  History Channel aka AliensInMyRestorationPawnShop Channel.

It really is all catered to mindless mouth breathers.

#40 Carolinaboy1979

Carolinaboy1979

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationThe Piedmont

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:15 AM

The worst thing about cable TV at the moment is that the History Channel is now a reality TV network, everything on TruTV is a lie, MTV hasn't shown a music video in prime time since I graduated college, SciFi is now SyFy, Travel Channel is now "slightly weird food network", and ESPN has stopped actually covering sports and has now switched to some sort of athlete melodrama that occasionally airs sporting events as well. I could go on but now I'm too worked up to sleep and I have a meeting in the morning. God dammit.

That's pretty insightful and hilarious...nice

#41 Argus Plexus

Argus Plexus

Super Kami Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 5,501 posts
  • LocationCape Fear Area

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:36 AM

Yes, down with ESPN! Burn it to the ground!

#42 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

NON FACETE NOBIS CALCITRARE VESTRVM PERINAEVM

• HUDDLER
  • 3,759 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:56 AM

Espn lost me when they made their programming more about their personalities then actual sports.

I never once tuned into espn because I just got to hear what one of their analysts had to say. And I know he knows the NBA bust Steven A. Talking about anything else is so dumb I want to blow my brains out and just end it.

Last time I tuned in was during the NBA finals and they were having a discussion and another analyst started to give his opinion and he yelled over the other analyst and told him to shut up while he was talking when he had just stopped before the other guy started. I seriously couldn't believe something that unprofessional happened and the other guy was so stunned I don't think he even knew how to react.

#43 2jakefansinva

2jakefansinva

Coach Jack Bolton

• HUDDLER
  • 4,423 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:23 AM

LMFAO!

Please come back after your meeting and continue.........

#44 fitty76

fitty76

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:43 AM

I'd say ESPN went down the crapper when they got into "sports entertainment," not "sports." You know, like that horribly over-dramatic soap opera "Playmakers" a few years back. Then they serve you up some hot, steamy ish like "Cold Pizza," which then gave way to full time trolling-counter trolling format in the form of Bayless and Stephen A.

When they decided to lean towards entertainment versus actually sports, that's when they jumped the shark. Too much emphasis on their personalities and not enough on the sports.

I remember watching them broadcast lumberjack contests when I was a kid when it was a slow time of the year in sports (like right now - after basketball, before football starts back). Now they have a "debate" show with a guest cameo by a horribly shallow and heavily-influenced-by-drugs hip-hop artist, to whom they suck up to non-stop during their appearances. It's just too much...

Funny you should bring up Playmakers. Because the NFL got that show canceled becsuse it depicted football players in a bad light. That's pretty ironic, don't you think?

#45 KendrickPanther

KendrickPanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 5,531 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:05 AM

To be fair to the NFL, that show was really really dumb. Even if it was accurate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.