Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why do you think we are a + 7 win team?

58 posts in this topic

Posted

My biggest reason is that opposite of our divisional counterparts we are trending up.  ATL, NO are have reached their apex and IMO are beginning the decent.  

TB is a big if but i still dont think they mesh well enough with that weirdo head coach they have.

Any way enough about them,

Our team is filled with talent in all of the right positions, QB, DL, RB, LB.  Not only are we talented in those areas but we are scary good in those areas.  

It would be easy to get trapped into what we are good at but im not gonna.

The offensive line is what most people consider the focal point of our success this year.  I too am one of those people.  If healthy this offensive line has the necessary talent and drive to get it done.  We have road grading guards(assuming Kug) and intelligent tackles.  Now throw in a perennial Pro Bowl center and all of a sudden the O-line doesn't seem so shoddy.

The most discussed lineman we have has and continues to be Jordan Gross.  Now we all love his podcast but his age is less than desirable at his position.  My contrast to this is that for the last 2 years Jordan has been asked to do something hes never done.  He has been in charge of protecting a mobile QB in both years and had to deal with a DII rookie all of last year standing beside him.  Not trying to make excuses but his job is hard enough already and the FO didn't help him very much.

Point is, with the new/old OC in Shula we will return to a scheme that fits Jordan and his line-mates very well.  O-line is a go!

Now the other lynch-pin in our success, we at the huddle have decided that it is the Secondary.  Some see this as a glaring weakness to be feared as Brady, Brees, Ryan and others lick their chops for this tasty match up this upcoming season.  I too have worried about this group of castoffs late rounders and vets.  If our D-line was still as in bad of a shape as it was last year I would totally abandon ship and head for the nearest bar to drink away my sorrows.  Our d-line is not that bad, in fact they will be very good.  

With that said our secondary has a good mix of youthful exuberance, veteran savvy and guys that want to prove they belong.  That's a dangerous combo when the QB doesn't even have time to set his feet.

The season may turnout to be considered a failure or we could march right on into the playoffs with a bye.  This doesn't change that awesome chance we as Panther's fans have to cherish this fleeting moment of excitement and angst.  

Your question was why should we think we can win more than 7 games, my question is why cant we?

just about exactly how I would have said it..  I question the leadership and the execution that it would take to win 9 or 10 games.  However, I've seen they have the ability more than enough, which includes the major holes that have held up at least 3 quarters a game (in '11) and nearly all of it except the last minute or so (in '12).  More pieces have been put in place to help slow that trend.  We'll see just how much (and if Shula can call a decent game).....

Posted

being a fan of a team is knowing our strengths, recognizing our weakness and hoping for the best.

With this team hoping for the best isn't delusional. We have the talent, the coaching staff/management has been doing and saying all of the right things. We obviously need to prove it on the field.

I can't convince you, but since i'm a fan of the panthers i think we are a playoff team.

2 people like this

Posted

Rivera doesn't go full retard in end game situations, and that's good for two wins more than last year.

Our front seven is much improved, our cb's are better than people give them credit for, and if we can pick a safety up in FA our defense is going to win us at least one more game from last season. Hell if Nakanotgoodatfootballanymora Doesn't see the field that should be good for one win.

So that puts us at 10-6

Also i really want that Otah jersey. I heard you get 50% off at all McDonald's in Charlotte if you come wearing an Otah jersey since he was there all time biggest customer, both in terms of amount of food purchased, and the girth of his ass . 50 dollars for that would be a steal!

Double post? Never go full retard smh...

Posted

The sooner the fans have amnesia the better.    

Gettleman>Hurn

Cam and Chico in their 3rd yr

Luke at MLB

Star at DT

Healthy O'line

Competition in our WR, S, CB positions

Thunder and lightning and the bowling ball under Shula

Special teams overhaul

Strength of schedule schmedule

Posted

regardless of whether you end up subtracting or adding, predicting deviations in wins and losses from the previous year based upon personnel changes is a fallacious method of coming up with a season outlook

Posted

I think we finish 8-8 give or take one.

Not sold on OL, and that is the biggest issue.  I believe Cam's slump in part was do to horrible OL play.  We have not really addressed the issue. 

Secondary IMO is doable with what our front.

WR, LaFell, Smith and Olsen are good targets.  

The OL scares me.

I agree wholeheartedly with your comment. Additionally, the running game (DWill) seemed to improve as well once oline play improved. Gettleman was correct in his hog-molly assessment that big men allow you to compete. Defensively, I think he's done a fantastic job this offseason. Offensively, not so much... yet.

Posted

Let it go SCP. You'll never be able to sell that Otah jersey for even $10.

1 person likes this

Posted

I also look at the 49ers. For the last decade they have been very similar to us. Lower-tier team that wasn't doing a whole lot of anything particularly well. In just the blink of an eye they have gone to two NFCCG and one SB. There is no reason for me to believe that no other teams are capable of that. Carolina has drafted well, produced tons of homegrown talent, and has shredded some horrible contracts. We have star players at many, many positions, and the lack of household names in our secondary doesn't scare me one bit as far as how good our defense is going to be.

6 people like this

Posted

I also look at the 49ers. For the last decade they have been very similar to us. Lower-tier team that wasn't doing a whole lot of anything particularly well. In just the blink of an eye they have gone to two NFCCG and one SB. There is no reason for me to believe that no other teams are capable of that. Carolina has drafted well, produced tons of homegrown talent, and has shredded some horrible contracts. We have star players at many, many positions, and the lack of household names in our secondary doesn't scare me one bit as far as how good our defense is going to be.

That really gives me a lot of hope.  Wasn't there some final piece of the puzzle they added though?  They had this ex-Bears Linebacker as coach also, right? 

Hmm...  What did they do that we haven't?

Posted

Let it go SCP. You'll never be able to sell that Otah jersey for even $10.

Some day you're gonna see a homeless guy begging for food in an authentic Otah jersey. That or you will see me tie it off, fill it with bars of soap, and beat the crap out of a Saints fan with it.

2 people like this

Posted

-that pick 6 was on a timing route were smitty slipped coming out of his break. but, why throw that type of route vs a team who plays cover 2 base? that is on coaching, and any cb playing in the NFL would pick that.

no way can that pick 6 be blamed on coaching, yea smitty slipped but Cam still threw it there.  I don't know what the other routes were on that play, but the out route smitty was running could have cleared out another route over top.  that game in general, along with the second tampa game was the epitome of our season.

Posted

I think coaching has a lot to do with the 49ers success.