125 replies to this topic

#46 Panthers_Lover

Panthers_Lover

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,025 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:09 AM

Which also leads to better customer loyalty.

Nobody shops at Walmart because they like it. They shop at Walmart because they can't afford to shop anywhere else.

I don't really have loyalty to any retailer, but I'm always amazed at how many people I hear say they only shop at Costco.

I know plenty of people who absolutely LOVE Wal-Mart ... I haven't been in one for years, though.

#47 Panthers_Lover

Panthers_Lover

• HUDDLER
  • 4,025 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:10 AM

So they didn't take the tax breaks, but what about relying on welfare to provide benefits for their underpaid wok force? What do you call that?

Are you complaining about every business that pays minimum wage?

#48 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 23,245 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:22 AM

SO g5 is for gov't subsidies if it helps businesses.

Businesses are people.

So he is for gov't subsidies for people.

g5 is a liberal?

#49 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,138 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:30 AM

SO g5 is for gov't subsidies if it helps businesses.

Businesses are people.

So he is for gov't subsidies for people.

g5 is a liberal?

There is no government subsidy.  You may argue that dependence on the welfare state on the wage can be considered, but every business does.  Apply the rule equally and I'm all for it.

#50 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,047 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:31 AM

The law is designed specifically to strike at Walmart and the company has every right to take its ball and go home. The law says that $8.25 an hour is acceptable unless you are Walmart since Walmart is evil. Walmart must pay a living wage but anyone else can pay $8.25 an hour.

Terrible politicians who deserve to lose out on the stores.

This is exactly the issue with the proposal.

If $8.25/hr is not an acceptable living wage in DC, then that we understand.  Work to increase the minimum wage there...got no problem with that.

What this says is that it is OK for other companies to pay $8.25.....but Wal-Mart needs to pay more. 

That IS bullshit and does provide a competitive advantage to other companies.

I hate Wal-Mart, but the way this bill is written is total crap.  I don't blame them for giving the big FU to DC.

#51 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 23,245 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:32 AM

There is no government subsidy.  You may argue that dependence on the welfare state on the wage can be considered, but every business does.  Apply the rule equally and I'm all for it.

wat

#52 dos poptarts

dos poptarts

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:40 AM

Item 4( B)(2) - yearly increase of wage will increase with CPI of All Urban Consumers Price Index is a contract killer. There's no way I would ever sign a contract with language as generic as that. No minimums, no maximums, not every two years, but every year the business finds out on Dec 1st, what the Jan 1st LW target will be.

did my own data pull

http://data.bls.gov/...n/surveymost?cu

(CPI - All Urban Consumers for Wash-Balt, you can pull up the table yourselves.)

There been a 34% increase from 2003-2012. 50% since 1996 where the baseline originates.

For those saying the other big box stores already pay more than this....doesn't matter. I guarantee that all their CFOs are asking for each store#'s Operating Profit #s today, if there weren't already forewarned that this was coming.

I have no problem with DC raising their living wage, but to selectively hit 'big box' stores is vindictive and pandering. It's all fine and good for most here it seems as long as they hit what is currently defined as 'bad' companies.

Unforeseen (or well coordinated) consequences: Bet the commercial land  just outside the area just jumped 10% automatically.

Edit: heh if an actual contract had emoticons I might just approve w/o reading. Anyway it's Section 4, part b, Item 2.

#53 Zaximus

Zaximus

I'm Brett Jensen

• HUDDLER
  • 4,693 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:41 AM

It does NOT provide an advantage for small businesses over Wal-Mart and Target and other large retailers.  If anything it evens the field between small businesses and large retailers.  Wal-Mart, because of their vast empire, can buy product much much cheaper than the small businesses, combine that with crap pay, is how they crush everyone else.   They'll still make a killing and also make much more money than the small businesses even if they have to pay more wages.   Wal-Mart would also have an advantage on quality of employees since they'll pay more, they'll be more in line with Costco and Target when it comes to hiring.  Wal-Mart doesn't seem to care about that though.

Evening the playing field for small businesses should be something right wingers are all for, at least that's what I hear every 4 years in elections?

#54 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 23,245 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:42 AM

At no other time in our history have wages stagnated while productivity and profitability grown at such a rate.

#55 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,435 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:52 AM

Who took the risk.  A cashier?

What risk? Being born?

Sam Walton's been cold in the ground for over 20 years, you toadie.

#56 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,372 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:52 AM

I know plenty of people who absolutely LOVE Wal-Mart ... I haven't been in one for years, though.

I guess I should have said nobody shops at walmart because they love the quality, cleanliness, or customer service.

People definitely love the selection and prices.

#57 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,435 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:58 AM

I guess I should have said nobody shops at walmart because they love the quality, cleanliness, or customer service.

People definitely love the selection and prices.

Wellllllllllll

http://business.time...lves-are-empty/

#58 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,372 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:58 AM

The law is designed specifically to strike at Walmart and the company has every right to take its ball and go home. The law says that $8.25 an hour is acceptable unless you are Walmart since Walmart is evil. Walmart must pay a living wage but anyone else can pay $8.25 an hour.

Terrible politicians who deserve to lose out on the stores.

It hits Target, Home Depot, and other big box stores equally.

From living in DC, I know there is a target, a home depot, and several office supply stores IN the city itself, so there are plenty of companies being impacted by this. I'm assuming grocery stores would also be impacted.

#59 88 Bronco

88 Bronco

• HUDDLER
  • 5,901 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:19 AM

Are you complaining about every business that pays minimum wage?

No, just the ones that are posting record profits through corporate welfare.

#60 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• HUDDLER
  • 16,600 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:21 AM

It hits Target, Home Depot, and other big box stores equally.

From living in DC, I know there is a target, a home depot, and several office supply stores IN the city itself, so there are plenty of companies being impacted by this. I'm assuming grocery stores would also be impacted.

Yes, but the law was specifically enacted because of Walmart. If target has been there for years and pays the same wages then where was this law before?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.