#31 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,703 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:35 AM

i think these surgeries were a long time coming with his feet/ankle problems. Get this dude 100% because he is an absolute freak when healthy. We have enough backs to do what we need to do while he recovers completely.

#32 Jangler

Jangler

Its gonna be just like they say, them voices tell me so

• HUDDLER
  • 46,751 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:06 AM

Let's not overreact.

Raven-bird-scares-dog.gif?

#33 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,455 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:55 AM

i think these surgeries were a long time coming with his feet/ankle problems. Get this dude 100% because he is an absolute freak when healthy. We have enough backs to do what we need to do while he recovers completely.

Why does everyone think Stewart is a freak when healthy?  In the last 4 years he has had 7 games where he rushed for more than 100 yards.  How does that make him a freak?   Look at what Adrian Peterson has done in the last 3 years and that is a freak. When Stewart averages 5 yards a carry and carries the ball 300 times a season for 2 or 3 seasons then we can talk about him being elite.  Until then you could argue that the only reason he has been as durable as he has been was because he is not used that much and only averaged 5 starts a season over the last 4 years.

#34 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 19,067 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:01 AM

Glad Getts drafted Barner.

#35 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,256 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:19 AM

P
O games in 2012 with more than 51 yards. Missed 7 games started 6.
3 games with more than 70 yards in 2011.Started 3 games missed 0.
2 games in the 100s and 2 in the 90s in 2010.started 7 games missed 2.
8 games with more than 80 yards in 2009. Started 3 games missed none.

So Stewart in the last 64 game opportunities has 14 games with more than 70 yards of those 7 were more than 100 yards. He played in 55 but only started 19.

Williams had 2 games over 90 yards missed 0 and started 9 games in 2012.
He had 3 games over 80 yards started 14 games missed none in 2011.
He had 1 game over 80 yards started 6 games and missed 10 games.
he had 8 games with 80 yards or more started 13 games missed 3.

In summary of 64 opportunities he had 14 games with 80 yards or more. He started 42 games and missed 13 games.
Neither back has been that durable or productive in the last 4 years outside of 2009. Combined they have often went over 100 yards but individually not often in the last 3 years. Neither has earned their moneyehe last 3 years.

Hasn't D-Will been named The Panthers' feature back these last three years though? Until recently, I don't remember J-Stew being named our feature back ever. D-Will has been our starter (for the most part).

#36 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• HUDDLER
  • 15,103 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:26 AM

Why does everyone think Stewart is a freak when healthy?  In the last 4 years he has had 7 games where he rushed for more than 100 yards.  How does that make him a freak?   Look at what Adrian Peterson has done in the last 3 years and that is a freak. When Stewart averages 5 yards a carry and carries the ball 300 times a season for 2 or 3 seasons then we can talk about him being elite.  Until then you could argue that the only reason he has been as durable as he has been was because he is not used that much and only averaged 5 starts a season over the last 4 years.

First, I'm not disputing your main point.  All of our RBs are overpaid, and until we see Stewart get 300 carries per year, his durability stands to be questioned..  which comes back to why he's overpaid.

I just don't think the guy who said "a freak when healthy" implied on the field production, especially when splitting carries all his career, as much as his physical ability, which has been recognized as one of the best in the game when healthy.  

https://www.profootb...elusive-rating/

#37 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 19,067 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:30 AM

It's AMAZING how much money Hurney threw at damaged merchandise.

Jake (elbow)
Otah (fat)
Stew (feet/ankles)
Beason (shoulder/knee/Achilles)

Just those alone are crazy

#38 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,256 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:32 AM

What Stewart is capable of is freakish -- not on AP's level, but the ability break tackles, mow LBs and DBs, and hit that turbo shift once he sees a hole or open field (leaving most defenders to eat his dust) is something that not every running back possesses.

#39 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• HUDDLER
  • 7,703 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:46 AM

Why does everyone think Stewart is a freak when healthy? In the last 4 years he has had 7 games where he rushed for more than 100 yards. How does that make him a freak? Look at what Adrian Peterson has done in the last 3 years and that is a freak. When Stewart averages 5 yards a carry and carries the ball 300 times a season for 2 or 3 seasons then we can talk about him being elite. Until then you could argue that the only reason he has been as durable as he has been was because he is not used that much and only averaged 5 starts a season over the last 4 years.

A combination of power, speed and elusiveness. He is a freak athlete. If he was the number one and durable imagine the stats he would have had.

#40 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,455 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:04 PM

Hasn't D-Will been named The Panthers' feature back these last three years though? Until recently, I don't remember J-Stew being named our feature back ever. D-Will has been our starter (for the most part).

There are reasons Stewart hasn't done more and they haven't been his fault necessarily.  Still you can't say he has done that much based on the numbers whether it is total yards or yards per carry etc.

Could he do more?  Likely.   But you have to base it what he has done not what he could do.

#41 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,455 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:05 PM

A combination of power, speed and elusiveness. He is a freak athlete. If he was the number one and durable imagine the stats he would have had.

Coulda, shoulda, woulda.  And if I won the lottery just imagine what I could do.......

#42 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,455 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:07 PM

What Stewart is capable of is freakish -- not on AP's level, but the ability break tackles, mow LBs and DBs, and hit that turbo shift once he sees a hole or open field (leaving most defenders to eat his dust) is something that not every running back possesses.

So why is it he doesn't play more??  The adage in the league is that if a player is great, coaches will find a way to get him on the field.  Just like Newton starting since game 1.  Stewart has never started the majority of games in a season since he has been here as long as Williams has been healthy.

#43 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,455 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:12 PM

First, I'm not disputing your main point.  All of our RBs are overpaid, and until we see Stewart get 300 carries per year, his durability stands to be questioned..  which comes back to why he's overpaid.

I just don't think the guy who said "a freak when healthy" implied on the field production, especially when splitting carries all his career, as much as his physical ability, which has been recognized as one of the best in the game when healthy.  

https://www.profootb...elusive-rating/

Being elusive is one measure of a back but not the only one.  And it might not be the most important one.  Durability is the reason most running backs are in the hall of fame not their elusiveness.  Unless you are Gayle Sayers or Barry Sanders.  Stewart may be elusive but he is not that fast, not that durable and he disappears for stretches at a time.  That doesn't define him as a freak.

#44 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• HUDDLER
  • 7,703 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:20 PM

Coulda, shoulda, woulda.  And if I won the lottery just imagine what I could do.......

im not saying anything about coulda, shoulda, woulda....

i'm saying he is a freak athlete. don't be so condescending.

#45 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 12,611 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:40 PM

It's AMAZING how much money Hurney threw at damaged merchandise.

Jake (elbow)
Otah (fat)
Stew (feet/ankles)
Beason (shoulder/knee/Achilles)

Just those alone are crazy

We're damn lucky Otah started having his issues before Hurney could sign him to a mega extension.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.