Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gazi

Not Guilty

458 posts in this topic

1.  Did GZ find TM suspicious and follow him because he was black?  Possible....I don't know what was in his heart and mind that night.  He very well could have started this whole thing in motion becuase of racism.

However, I find it just as plausible/believable that he found him suspicious because:

• He was an unknown teenager
  • He was walking slowly in the rain
  • He was cutting between houses rather than walking on the main street
  • There had been break-ins recently in that neighborhood

Again, this could have been race driven (and I admit that).  However, it very well may not have been (and many can't accept that).

2.  Reports that TM was fearful of the person following him becuase he though he might be raped.  This also is very believable.  I know I would be pretty spooked if someone were following me on a dark and rainy night.  I don't know his intentions and him doing bodily harm to me woudl be a REAL concern to me.  However, my first instinct would be to get the hell out of there (bee line for my home).  It would not be to confront the guy in any way.

This is a sad tragedy...

All very possible and no way to know for sure.  Hence the verdict. 

All very possible and no way to know for sure.  Hence the verdict. 

My point exactly.

This situation illustrates how we let our own biases/racism/fears dictate what we want to believe. 

If someone believes that everything is about race....they will "know" that GZ is a racist and went after TM becuase of the color of his skin.  That stereotyping and bias is just as bad as the person who thinks that all African American's are "up to no good".  Both are idiots and an embarassment to the human race.

Sad part is that BOTH sides will use this situation and resulting actions as a rally call for their point....

1.  African Americans "knowing" this was about race and rioting

2.  Idiot racis caucasians who then turn and look at the riots and say "see all they want it to steal and break the law".

The death of TM is a sad, sad event.  I just hope we don't add to it with the aftermath.

Tragedy is probably the optimal word.

I can totally understand if my kid went out for snacks and ended up dead, that I would be devistated. What just happened? Who, why? Totally understand the loss. How do you reconcile that, without evidence, to be something like murder? A teen was killed, bad situation, mistakes, over reaches, but no evidence of malice and such. Not an accident by any stretch.

This situation should obviously be a call for change, but not in the way it is being depicted. Our society is full of examples where tragic things happened and because of them, change has taken place. Saftey laws by the score were born out of tragic situations.

Watchmen should now have a whole set of rules to adhere to so that they and everyone they encounter will have no doubts about the situation. Also, rules of confrontation, reporting, weapons, etc. should all come into play.

Lastly, I think the Martin family as devistated as they might be, have conducted themselves with dignity. I cannot say this for the Sharptons of the world. After all, he is there to make dough off of this situation, he has a platform and will milk it for a good while. It is for his benefit only.

1 person likes this

Tragedy is probably the optimal word.

Lastly, I think the Martin family as devistated as they might be, have conducted themselves with dignity. I cannot say this for the Sharptons of the world. After all, he is there to make dough off of this situation, he has a platform and will milk it for a good while. It is for his benefit only.

I cannot agree with you more about the Martin family....my heart truly goes out to them.  I just cannot imagine having to deal with losing a child.

1 person likes this

Wait, boy of color is racist now?

I've heard lots of women refer to themselves as a woman of color.

I can't keep up

It's distasteful. Yeah well those women can call themselves whatever they want because they are actually black and live it everyday. Between this juror and Zimmerman there will be lots of money to be made off all this.

Meanwhile Martin is still dead, and we have people like stirs randomly accusing him of homophobia.

Wait, boy of color is racist now?

I've heard lots of women refer to themselves as a woman of color.

I can't keep up

You can't be serious. 

You two are far to eager and excited to be offended.

It's distasteful. Yeah well those women can call themselves whatever they want because they are actually black and live it everyday. Between this juror and Zimmerman there will be lots of money to be made off all this.

Meanwhile Martin is still dead, and we have people like stirs randomly accusing him of homophobia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Person_of_color

People of color was introduced as a preferable replacement to both non-white and minority, which are also inclusive, because it frames the subject positively; non-white defines people in terms of what they are not (white), and minority frequently carries a subordinate connotation.[1] Style guides for writing from American Heritage,[2] the Stanford Graduate School of Business,[3]Mount Holyoke College,[4] recommend the term over these alternatives.

Lets all get offended!!!!  Hoooray!

I was always under the impression that "person of color" was just another version of "coloreds" which is decidedly derogatory. I was always taught that it was inappropriate to use. 

I was always under the impression that "person of color" was just another version of "coloreds" which is decidedly derogatory. I was always taught that it was inappropriate to use. 

I have never heard of it being a derogatory term. My highschool was more diverse than any highschool in the charlotte area and it was used openly as a respectful term.