Photo
- - - - -

Do you support Austin Dillon driving the #3 in the Sprint cup Series?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you support Austin Dillon driving the #3 in the Sprint cup Series? (18 member(s) have cast votes)

Austin Dillon driving the 3

1. Yay (12 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

2. Nay (5 votes [27.78%])

Percentage of vote: 27.78%

3. No, but I wouldn't mind someone else driving it. (1 votes [5.56%])

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 CCS

CCS

Glutton for heart break and punishment

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,413 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:11 PM

The black #3 is a car that most NASCAR fans never thought they would see in the sprint cup series ever again unless it was driven by Dale Earnhardt Jr. Lately though Richard Childress' grandson Austin Dillon has been using the #3 in lower tier series and they've even openly talked about the possibility of Austin using the 3 in the Sprint Cup series whenever he makes his inevitable debut. At this point it's looking like Dillon driving the 3 is definitely going to happen, so do you support it?

I personally think that the 3 should be retired for good. It's always going to be remembered as Dale's number no matter what happens so I think NASCAR should honor that and retire the number for good. It also kind of pisses on everything that Dale stood for if they let a rich kid drive his car.

#2 cptx

cptx

Junkhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,524 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:47 PM

I think it has been long enough.

#3 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

Stripper Name: Bo Dangles

• HUDDLER
  • 12,567 posts
  • Locationtied to your basement wall

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:18 AM

he's such a gay

#4 Scrumtrilescent

Scrumtrilescent

I aim to misbehave.

• Administrators
  • 8,713 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:25 AM

Yes.  The Cult of Earnhardt has had it's day.  Time's up.

#5 Hugor Hill

Hugor Hill

It's not easy being drunk all the time

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:53 PM

If #43 is driving, then the #3 should be driven. NASCAR doesn't retire numbers, if it did there wouldn't be any numbers left.

It's time, its way past time.

#6 Mayor Qumiby

Mayor Qumiby

fug the saints!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:35 PM

I think its time for the 3 to be back in the Sprint Cup. I think it was good to have some time w/o the 3 running but its a good time for its return.

Many people forget that it wasn't dale who 1st made the 3 famous..it was junior johnson. Although I agree it was dale who took the 3 to where it is today..its was Junior Johnson who made famous enough for Childress to honor him by running that number.so its not just dales number.

And when you say "jusy some rich kid driving it"...wouldn't that apply if JR was driving it??

#7 iamcline

iamcline

Thou shalt not spilleth thy Red Bull!

• HUDDLER
  • 2,799 posts
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:18 PM

I'm okay with it, it's just a number.

#8 Guest_Spider Monkey_*

Guest_Spider Monkey_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:58 PM

He is using the same style font, red outlined #3 and a black car. He won't have very many fans with that approach. Dale Earnhardt was, and still is, NASCAR. There is a reason Junior is more popular than all the other drivers combined.

The whole "43 isn't retired so you can't retire 3" argument is dumb.

Richard Petty was the Bill Russell of racing. Won a load of races/championships and was an all-time great. But he had no competition and did it at a time the sport wasn't popular at all.

Dale Earnhardt was the Michael Jordan of racing. He absolutely dominated the sport, is the sole reason many all-time greats are not champions, and made the sport what it is today.

Dillon's approach of using the red outlined 3 on a black car owned by Richard Childress is like LeBron, Wade, and Bosh going to Chicago next year and wearing 23, 33, and 91 with a shaved head, flat top, and purple/green hair.

I understand why Dillon wants to race #3 and that's fine. Childress is his grandfather and Dale was his idol. But he needs to lose the black and quit bringing up Earnhardt in his marketing.

#9 iamcline

iamcline

• HUDDLER
  • 2,799 posts
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:05 PM

He is using the same style font, red outlined #3 and a black car. He won't have very many fans with that approach. Dale Earnhardt was, and still is, NASCAR. There is a reason Junior is more popular than all the other drivers combined.

The whole "43 isn't retired so you can't retire 3" argument is dumb.

Richard Petty was the Bill Russell of racing. Won a load of races/championships and was an all-time great. But he had no competition and did it at a time the sport wasn't popular at all.

Dale Earnhardt was the Michael Jordan of racing. He absolutely dominated the sport, is the sole reason many all-time greats are not champions, and made the sport what it is today.

Couldn't disagree more.  Petty dominated NASCAR in a way that Earnhardt could only dream of.  The 43 isn't retired because Richard didn't want it retired.  Petty had plenty of competition, not sure what you are basing your argument off of.  Pearson, Yarborough, EARNHARDT, etc...

Richard Petty made the sport what it is today.  If anything it's like Jordan/Lebron.  Petty built the empire, Earnhardt carried the torch until a new group arrived, (Gordon/Johnson).

If the kid wants the 3, then let him have it.  It's just a friggin' number.

Let's not forget that Earnhardt's popularity didn't even skyrocket until he died.  While he was alive he wasn't close to being most-popular, as that went to Bill Elliott.  Then all of the sympathy fans jumped on Jr.'s bandwagon because they wanted to honor the man they once crucified.

...LMAO..."Michael Jordan of racing", "is NASCAR".  Give me a break, bud.  Hell, Gordon was more popular than Earnhardt.

#10 Guest_Spider Monkey_*

Guest_Spider Monkey_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:18 PM

Couldn't disagree more. Petty dominated NASCAR in a way that Earnhardt could only dream of. The 43 isn't retired because Richard didn't want it retired. Petty had plenty of competition, not sure what you are basing your argument off of. Pearson, Yarborough, EARNHARDT, etc...

Richard Petty made the sport what it is today. If anything it's like Jordan/Lebron. Petty built the empire, Earnhardt carried the torch until a new group arrived, (Gordon/Johnson).

If the kid wants the 3, then let him have it. It's just a friggin' number.

Let's not forget that Earnhardt's popularity didn't even skyrocket until he died. While he was alive he wasn't close to being most-popular, as that went to Bill Elliott. Then all of the sympathy fans jumped on Jr.'s bandwagon because they wanted to honor the man they once crucified.

...LMAO..."Michael Jordan of racing", "is NASCAR". Give me a break, bud. Hell, Gordon was more popular than Earnhardt.

Is that why Petty won absolutely nothing after Earnhardt entered the Cup Series? Earnhardt kicked Petty's ass.

#11 iamcline

iamcline

• HUDDLER
  • 2,799 posts
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:17 PM

Is that why Petty won absolutely nothing after Earnhardt entered the Cup Series? Earnhardt kicked Petty's ass.

You mean like Gordon kicked Earnhardt's ass?

:)

#12 Guest_Spider Monkey_*

Guest_Spider Monkey_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:03 PM

You mean like Gordon kicked Earnhardt's ass?

:)

Earnhardt won rookie of the year & 7 championships vs Petty

Petty won 1 championship vs Earnhardt then took a backseat to #3

Jeff Gordon isn't even the best driver on his own team. Comparing him to Earnhardt is laughable

#13 Hugor Hill

Hugor Hill

It's not easy being drunk all the time

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:53 PM

Richard Petty can still drive, Earnhardt can't. :roadrage: :devil:

besides, Childress owns the rights to the 3, if he wants his grandson driving it, he will. Nothing any ol windbag Earnhardt fan can say will change that. Dillon started driving the 3 in honor of Dale, but I guess Intimidator fans don't want homage to their fallen hero.

#14 iamcline

iamcline

• HUDDLER
  • 2,799 posts
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:33 PM

Earnhardt won rookie of the year & 7 championships vs Petty

Petty won 1 championship vs Earnhardt then took a backseat to #3

Jeff Gordon isn't even the best driver on his own team. Comparing him to Earnhardt is laughable

Not really.  He had more wins than Earnhardt, head-to-head...and more championships, head-to-head.  Take off the blinders.  To me?  Earnhardt is fighting for third best NASCAR driver of all time. :)

#15 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,999 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:35 PM

I always expected the 3 to come back to Nascar. It belongs to RCR, he can do with it as he pleases.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com