Photo
- - - - -

McDonalds suggested budget for employees shows just how impossible it is to get by on minimum wage

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#11 Big A

Big A

SENIOR HUDDLER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationNew Orleans
HUDDLER

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:39 PM

Honestly....The answer to increased productivity with stagnant wages is Hispanics. Extremely hard workers, and will work for less money than anyone else. It's not even arguable. They bust ass on any job they do.

That's not a rant. Anyone that says they haven't noticed more Hispanics working the grill/ preparing burgers in the back are lying. Makes for shorter waiting times as well.

Because they come from countries with no safety nets, if you don't work hard, you starve and die. I've rented to tons of Hispanics that show up here with a 1 year work visa and 5 word English vocabulary, yet within a week they already found work somewhere getting paid $100+ a day, living like kings and sending home a lot of their money for their families. Many will work here for 3 years and that will make enough to build a house, a business and be set the rest of their life back home.

The issue is, before most Amercian will go tunnel under a house for plumbing or lifting work, they will go to a McDonalds and load up on all the federal assistance.

#12 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• LocationShallotte, NC
HUDDLER

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:42 PM

The point, Alice, that you quite obviously missed, (and I'd feel remiss for not filling you in) is that this budget was supposed to show that it's possible to live off minimum wage without assistance. It's supposed to justify minimum wage as a viable wage solution that doesn't require the government to supplement income for someone to survive. You know, the whole "Walmart uses tax money to supplement their employees pay so that they can pay minimum wage while being the richest people in the world" argument. 

#13 frash.exe

frash.exe

Freddy Frashbear

HUDDLER

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:43 PM

Ways you can budget while working full-time at McDonald's: move to Galveston and start settling on cat food for dinner 5 days a week like pantherclaw.

#14 Big A

Big A

SENIOR HUDDLER

• LocationNew Orleans
HUDDLER

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:46 PM

Way to completely miss the fuging point, though that's not surprising for you Alice. Also, as the article states, 87% of those who work minimum wage are over the age of 20.

The US economy is not free-market and/or pure capitalism either. It's a regulated symbiotic system. Straight capitalism results in institutionalized classism - a veritable caste system. You need organized labor and government regulation to even the field and prevent virtual slave labor conditions for your unskilled labor citizens. Minimum wage should stay almost directly in-line with worker productivity. It hasn't for a few decades now, and the wealth gap has grown exponentially.

Working at an air conditioned McDonalds with all the protection in the world if you are hurt is "VIRTUAL SLAVE LABOR"!? This entitlement thinking is why China and a ton of other countries are passing the US by. I'm going to take a wild guess you never been out of the country! Go tell the Indian ship dismantlers, the Chinese sweatshop workers, underground miners in any 3rd world country they could work in AC all day and get all this free money from govt, on top of $1,100 a month and ask them if they thing it's slave labor!?

#15 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• LocationShallotte, NC
HUDDLER

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:48 PM

Working at an air conditioned McDonalds with all the protection in the world if you are hurt is "VIRTUAL SLAVE LABOR"!? This entitlement thinking is why China and a ton of other countries are passing the US by. I'm going to take a wild guess you never been out of the country! Go tell the Indian ship dismantlers, the Chinese sweatshop workers, underground miners in any 3rd world country they could work in AC all day and get all this free money from govt, on top of $1,100 a month and ask them if they thing it's slave labor!?

Are you fuging retarded? Can you not read? I think the answers are yes and no, respectively. 

Reread what I said and then read your own retort and hopefully you'll realize why you look like a fuging moron. 

#16 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• LocationAlaska
HUDDLER

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:49 PM

Most people I've seen working at McDonalds aren't there for a career and most seem to be you high school or college kid making their drinking and shopping money. This is still a capitalistic society where companies are being told the minimum they can pay. Also, don't forget the ones trying to live off of minimum wage have housing assistance, food assistance, Medicaid, and other supplements to that income, so that budget isn't realistic.

Hmm, It is almost like I've had this very discussion about the American taxpayer supporting the labor costs of large highly profitable multinational corporations previously. 

Just can't seem to put my finger on where exactly that was.

Well, maybe it will come to me after I get back from shopping at Wal-Mart. 

Oh wait, I've got it! 

#17 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

I Mean He Was Found Guilty

I MEAN AT LEAST TRADE HIM FOR SOMETHING AMIRITE

• LocationChapel Hill
SUPPORTER

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:56 PM

Easy for you to say Bentley boy.

#18 R0CKnR0LLA

R0CKnR0LLA

Drunk Posting

• LocationLas Vegas, NV
HUDDLER

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:57 PM

The simple solution is to use all that extra free time from working only 75 hours a week and the $100 a month slotted as "other" to start your own business or go to college. Obviously poor people are just too lazy to do any of that.

#19 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• LocationShallotte, NC
HUDDLER

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:00 PM

Easy for you to say Bentley boy.

The funny part is that I in no way insinuated that working at McDonalds was virtual slave labor. fuging Alice just sucks at understanding the English language. 

#20 Big A

Big A

SENIOR HUDDLER

• LocationNew Orleans
HUDDLER

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:03 PM

Hmm, It is almost like I've had this very discussion about the American taxpayer supporting the labor costs of large highly profitable multinational corporations previously.

Just can't seem to put my finger on where exactly that was.

Well, maybe it will come to me later on after I get back from shopping at Wal-Mart.

Oh wait, I've got it!

Where exactly are you pulling this from, subsidies?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users