Photo
- - - - -

McDonalds suggested budget for employees shows just how impossible it is to get by on minimum wage

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#16 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,937 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:49 PM

Most people I've seen working at McDonalds aren't there for a career and most seem to be you high school or college kid making their drinking and shopping money. This is still a capitalistic society where companies are being told the minimum they can pay. Also, don't forget the ones trying to live off of minimum wage have housing assistance, food assistance, Medicaid, and other supplements to that income, so that budget isn't realistic.

Hmm, It is almost like I've had this very discussion about the American taxpayer supporting the labor costs of large highly profitable multinational corporations previously. 

Just can't seem to put my finger on where exactly that was.

Well, maybe it will come to me after I get back from shopping at Wal-Mart. 

Oh wait, I've got it! 

#17 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

I Mean He Was Found Guilty

We dominated time of possession though!

• ALL-PRO
  • 10,988 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:56 PM

Working at an air conditioned McDonalds with all the protection in the world if you are hurt is "VIRTUAL SLAVE LABOR"!? This entitlement thinking is why China and a ton of other countries are passing the US by. I'm going to take a wild guess you never been out of the country! Go tell the Indian ship dismantlers, the Chinese sweatshop workers, underground miners in any 3rd world country they could work in AC all day and get all this free money from govt, on top of $1,100 a month and ask them if they thing it's slave labor!?

Easy for you to say Bentley boy.

#18 R0CKnR0LLA

R0CKnR0LLA

Drunk Posting

• HUDDLER
  • 9,687 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:57 PM

The simple solution is to use all that extra free time from working only 75 hours a week and the $100 a month slotted as "other" to start your own business or go to college. Obviously poor people are just too lazy to do any of that.

#19 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,740 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:00 PM

Easy for you to say Bentley boy.

The funny part is that I in no way insinuated that working at McDonalds was virtual slave labor. fuging Alice just sucks at understanding the English language. 

#20 Big A

Big A

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,204 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:03 PM

Hmm, It is almost like I've had this very discussion about the American taxpayer supporting the labor costs of large highly profitable multinational corporations previously.

Just can't seem to put my finger on where exactly that was.

Well, maybe it will come to me later on after I get back from shopping at Wal-Mart.

Oh wait, I've got it!

Where exactly are you pulling this from, subsidies?

#21 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,740 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:04 PM

Come on, you Rhodes Scholar, you. I'm sure you can figure it out. Use your big boy thinking cap for this one. 

#22 Big A

Big A

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,204 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:08 PM

The funny part is that I in no way insinuated that working at McDonalds was virtual slave labor. fuging Alice just sucks at understanding the English language.

Actually I just skimmed over your post since you seem to have anger issues, no doubt reason you average 1.5 arrest per adult year of life and almost had a fight at McDonalds over a line cut, and basically are unable to debate something without a barrage of insults.

#23 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,740 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:14 PM

Actually I just skimmed over your post since you seem to have anger issues, no doubt reason you average 1.5 arrest per adult year of life and almost had a fight at McDonalds over a line cut, and basically are unable to debate something without a barrage of insults.

I never insulted you, other than saying that It was unsurprising that you missed the point, prior to you reaffirming the fact that you're mentally deficient. 

The fight at the McDonald's because of the line cut, was because some asshat cut in front of me and when I honked at him he got out of his car and started threatening me. When I stepped out of my car his wife pulled his fat ass back inside his. It didn't need an explanation in the other thread, hence why I only vaguely alluded to it happening. 

I don't have anger issues. I'm a nice calm guy. Too nice, in all actuality. Being too nice has gotten me into trouble, more than anything else. Though, this is all really irrelevant. The problem is that you're an idiotic swamp donkey who can't comprehend logical argument. 

#24 PhillyB

PhillyB

hari kari for amari

• ALL-PRO
  • 21,791 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:23 PM

someone ban alice from this thread, i was hoping for an actual discussion and instead it's fifty posts of him unironically bashing the poors because he's been handed everything his entire life like he's entitled to it

#25 Big A

Big A

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,204 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:27 PM

Bottom line, I didn't read your complete post, but the point is that the same economy that people are complaining has no opportunities are being flooded by immigrants, yes many illegal and many not able to speak the language, yet they are thriving in the same economies. Look at this recent article at the numbers.

http://www.fairus.or...taking-u-s-jobs

The issue is many people are unwilling to do the work or go without. When some refuse to rent anything below a $600 apt, other are willing to react $800 and split it with 3 roommates. Many are unwilling to buy a loaf of bread and pack of ham and pass the week eating sandwiches, instead they eat fast food. I rent to people in this group and I see it on both sides firsthand, I see the guys willing to drive 3 hours to a job waking up at 4 in the morning to make a good wage, while I also had this lady with 5 kids collecting every govt handout available jumping monthly between minimum wage jobs.

#26 Big A

Big A

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,204 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:31 PM

someone ban alice from this thread, i was hoping for an actual discussion and instead it's fifty posts of him unironically bashing the poors because he's been handed everything his entire life like he's entitled to it

Actually when I left and got my first apt, all I got from my parents was an old nightstand, the old mattress from guest bed, and some old kitchen pots. I made my money putting in house alarms, selling stereo items from my stereo company, car audio and alarm installs in my driveway, computer building and whatever else I could make money from all while attending school full time. All my parent paid was my education and then 7 years later helped me with a downpayment on a rental property.

Don't worry, I have to go anyway, so you can stop crying. Since you want to bring up value of posts in a thread, I like how the guy was asking about south beach, you basically tell him you have no idea, never been in US, never been to South Beach, but let me tell you about my irrelevant experience in other parts of workd. Oh wait, if that wasn't worthless enough to what you were asking let me add a long quote from my book about more irrelevant info to what you're asking.

#27 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,740 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:39 PM

Bottom line, I didn't read your complete post, but the point is that the same economy that people are complaining has no opportunities are being flooded by immigrants, yes many illegal and many not able to speak the language, yet they are thriving in the same economies. Look at this recent article at the numbers.

http://www.fairus.or...taking-u-s-jobs

The issue is many people are unwilling to do the work or go without. When some refuse to rent anything below a $600 apt, other are willing to react $800 and split it with 3 roommates. Many are unwilling to buy a loaf of bread and pack of ham and pass the week eating sandwiches, instead they eat fast food. I rent to people in this group and I see it on both sides firsthand, I see the guys willing to drive 3 hours to a job waking up at 4 in the morning to make a good wage, while I also had this lady with 5 kids collecting every govt handout available jumping monthly between minimum wage jobs.

Your definition of thriving is completely skewed. Surviving..sure...thriving no. There is a certain percentage of immigrants who find "success", even illegal immigrants, though a much smaller small percentage. But it's certainly not a higher percentage than any other demographic when compared directly and is actually less than most, for obvious reasons. The success of illegal immigrants is a combination of hard work and luck. And usually their income is supplemented by government assistance and by certain illegal activities, just like all the other working poor in the country. The "pull up your damn bootstraps" argument is fallacious and plain idiotic when addressing such a complex issue. 

The fact that you're okay with a pay system that requires people to live on ham and white bread sandwiches while sharing crowded apartments with multiple roommates as a means of survival, speaks fuging volumes. That isn't a system for equality or success. It's not a system that rewards hard work and determination, with upward social mobility. It's a system that reproduces poverty, crime, and all the associated problems of the two, in a cyclical fashion

#28 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,937 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:47 PM

Large multi-nationals are externalizing the real cost of their labor force onto the backs of the American tax payer with all the public subsidies that I highlighted in your earlier post.  

Without those indirect public subsidies, companies would be forced to divert more of their profits and executive pay towards a living wage for their line level employees.  Otherwise, those same workers would be homeless, starving and unable to afford transportation to get to work.

Externalization of labor costs by these highly profitable multi-nationals is currently legal, and hey, it all enhances the wealth of their executives and stock holders, so why not do it?

Well, if the average American ever realized their tax dollars were indirectly supporting companies like Mickey D's and Wally World, even if they've never purchased a Happy Meal or experienced the low, low, prices of Chinese slave labor, they might just get a little pissed off.

#29 Big A

Big A

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,204 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:49 PM

. The success of illegal immigrants is a combination of hard work and luck. And usually their income is supplemented by government assistance and by certain illegal activities, just like all the other working poor in the country. The "pull up your damn bootstraps" argument is fallacious and plain idiotic when addressing such a complex issue.

Government assistance? What govt assistance is available to illegal immigrants or immigrants on tourist or work visas? Where are your most supplementing with illegal activities figures coming from? You do realize I'm talking from first hand experience after contact with literally thousands of them after Katrina.

And thriving to me is a guy that came here speaking 5 words of English 6 months ago and had to share an apartment with 5 guys now splitting a two bedroom nice apt with his cousin, just bought a ford F150 truck, has a crew of 4 he's heading and running jobs by himself and is sending enough money hoe to completely support his family and just bought a piece of land and about to start building a house for him and his family back In his country.

From NY times article 3 months ago
Earlier that day, I was reminded of another seldom-discussed fact about immigrant life in the United States. Immigrants spend most of the money they make. Chan had broken down his monthly expenses: $400 a month in rent, another $30 or so for gas, electric and Internet. He sends some money home and tries to save a few thousand a year in his Citibank account, but he ends up spending more than $10,000 annually. That includes the $1,400 or so he pays the I.R.S. so that he can have a taxpayer I.D. number, which allows him to have a credit score so that he can rent an apartment or lease a car.

There are many ways to debate immigration, but when it comes to economics, there isn’t much of a debate at all. Nearly all economists, of all political persuasions, agree that immigrants — those here legally or not — benefit the overall economy. “That is not controversial,” Heidi Shierholz, an economist at the Economic Policy Institute, told me. Shierholz also said that “there is a consensus that, on average, the incomes of families in this country are increased by a small, but clearly positive amount, because of immigration.”

The benefit multiplies over the long haul. As the baby boomers retire, the post-boom generation’s burden to finance their retirement is greatly alleviated by undocumented immigrants. Stephen Goss, chief actuary for the Social Security Administration, told me that undocumented workers contribute about $15 billion a year to Social Security through payroll taxes. They only take out $1 billion (very few undocumented workers are eligible to receive benefits). Over the years, undocumented workers have contributed up to $300 billion, or nearly 10 percent, of the $2.7 trillion Social Security Trust Fund.

#30 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 15,961 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:53 PM

People who are thriving generally don't have to pool all there money together to have 8 people living in a two bedroom apartment.

Of course part of that is that they send large portions or their paychecks back home.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com