109 replies to this topic

#76 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,538 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:15 PM

people laughed at bo jacksons comparisons for Cam. he was more right than wrong.

#77 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,344 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:21 PM

Yep, Cam might not precisely be Bo, but you would struggle greatly to find another player with that type of athleticism at 6'6 ft 250 lbs as a QB. I'll save you the trouble -- there's no one out there at the moment.

#78 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,538 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:24 PM

Yep, Cam might not precisely be Bo, but you would struggle greatly to find another player with that type of athleticism at 6'6 ft 250 lbs as a QB. I'll save you the trouble -- there's no one out there at the moment.

well that is the thing. and that is what bo was pointing to

its like if you mixed dan marino/elway with michael vick with bo jackson.  Doesn't mean he is all of those things at full strength. He is just a mixture of all of those attributes. And he has proved that through two seasons that he is the most athletic player in the nfl.

#79 nationofdomination

nationofdomination

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:40 PM

Newton has more than just straightline speed. He wouldnt be labeled the NFL's escape artist for nothing. Name me a QB that can do what Cam does (bulldoze AND evade LBs and DBs; along with possessing a top five cannon). It's not an overstatement. Newton does have rare and freaky athleticism.

nimbleness in the pocket is one of a qb's greatest assets, cam flashes once in a while with a great escape, but i always thought he was a little too big for his own good to be great at that, he seems to have trouble getting out of his own way a lot of times under pressure. the kid with the colts is the best there is at working in a crowded pocket. ive always said cam would make a great tight end. he is great in open space and has the perfect size for the position. we've seen a lot of gifted atheletes at the qb position, and most fail, or at least are not among the best at the position during their time. there is just so much more to the position than "freaky athleticism".

#80 The Golden Child

The Golden Child

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,848 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:55 PM

people laughed at bo jacksons comparisons for Cam. he was more right than wrong.

That's right I remember that. Ya boi Warren Sapp was laughing his fat ass off.

#81 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,344 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:19 PM

nimbleness in the pocket is one of a qb's greatest assets, cam flashes once in a while with a great escape, but i always thought he was a little too big for his own good to be great at that, he seems to have trouble getting out of his own way a lot of times under pressure. the kid with the colts is the best there is at working in a crowded pocket. ive always said cam would make a great tight end. he is great in open space and has the perfect size for the position. we've seen a lot of gifted atheletes at the qb position, and most fail, or at least are not among the best at the position during their time. there is just so much more to the position than "freaky athleticism".

That's not my point though. My point was that Cam has freaky athleticism. I'm fully aware of there's more to a position than just athleticism.

Luck? Not from what I witnessed last season. Andrew struggled to avoid sacks and compensating with incoming pressure. Newton completely outclasses him in that department. His size is what makes Cam special, and it doesn't hinder his ability to scramble and evade at all.

#82 FootballMaestro

FootballMaestro

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,723 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:37 PM

nimbleness in the pocket is one of a qb's greatest assets, cam flashes once in a while with a great escape, but i always thought he was a little too big for his own good to be great at that, he seems to have trouble getting out of his own way a lot of times under pressure. the kid with the colts is the best there is at working in a crowded pocket. ive always said cam would make a great tight end. he is great in open space and has the perfect size for the position. we've seen a lot of gifted atheletes at the qb position, and most fail, or at least are not among the best at the position during their time. there is just so much more to the position than "freaky athleticism".

LOL. 

I like the Colts Rookie QB. However, he was not better in a crowded pocket during his rookie season than Cam was. Not in a long shot. 

Have you seen, checked his stats, and actually watched him play?

First you alluded to that 'Cam only has straight ahead speed'. Now you're saying that 'Andrew Luck, is a natural in the pocket'. Good Rookie QB; yes. A natural, or appeared better than Cam during his rookie season (or even his second); no! Not at all.  

I'm sorry to say, it appears you're going off of 'presumed' notions and generalities, instead of actually watching these QB's play. 

Please, comeback when you do. 

#83 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,538 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:42 PM

just watch the raiders game. thats all you need to see about cam evading a crowded pocket to make plays

#84 nationofdomination

nationofdomination

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:45 AM

That's not my point though. My point was that Cam has freaky athleticism. I'm fully aware of there's more to a position than just athleticism.

Luck? Not from what I witnessed last season. Andrew struggled to avoid sacks and compensating with incoming pressure. Newton completely outclasses him in that department. His size is what makes Cam special, and it doesn't hinder his ability to scramble and evade at all.

you must not have watched luck much. the colts line was ranked 31st. constant pressure, took 41 sacks, many qbs would have taken 70. he has great feet, and pocket presence, eyes always downfield. luck and newton's combine numbers were about identical. both very atheletic. luck's 6' 4" 235 is better suited for working the pocket than cam's 6' 6" 250.

#85 nationofdomination

nationofdomination

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:59 AM

LOL. 

I like the Colts Rookie QB. But he was not better in a crowded pocket during his rookie season than Cam was. Not in a long shot. 

Have you seen, checked his stats, and actually watched him play?

First you alluded to that 'Cam only has straight ahead speed'. Now you're saying that 'Andrew Luck, is a natural in the pocket'. Good Rookie QB; yes. A natural, or appeared better than Cam during his rookie season (or even his second); no! Not at all.  

I'm sorry to say, it appears you're going off of 'presumed' notions and generalities, instead of actually watching these QB's play. 

Please, comeback when you do. 

i watched every snap luck took his rookie season. he is the best ive seen at feeling pressure, moving to avoid, keeping eyes downfield, delivering ball from any position and on the run, which he constantly was as a rookie. i have watched newton his first two seasons, although not every snap, but feel he does not possess lucks ability in pocket. i dont think there is any way newton could have done what luck did last year behind that line. it was truely amazing. newtons greatest gift seems to be his running ability if he is able to get outside the rush, not avoiding the rush to make a throw.

#86 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

I Mean He Was Found Guilty

We dominated time of possession though!

• ALL-PRO
  • 10,301 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:58 AM

football outsiders ranked cam the third best quarterback in the entire league under pressure in his rookie year.  only drew brees and eli manning were better:

https://www.profootb...1-quarterbacks/

it's roughly three quarters of the way down the page under the "pressured passing, grades 2011" heading

#87 jtm

jtm

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:11 AM

Quite frankly, I don't think he gives a **** about a portion of fans being irrational. Cam is gonna be Cam, and live life without obsessing who does and doesn't like him. He's got better things to do.

Maybe you are right, but if he feels this way it is doubtful he will ever be a true leader. Negative attention doesn't help the team and it is an unnecessary distraction. The elite QBs know how to handle the press and not draw unnecessary attention to their team.

#88 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,996 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:14 AM

If Cam said nothing wrong, then we wouldn't be having this discussion. The fact is our fans should stop being insecure and let puberty take its course. This is a non-issue, and yet it's big news on all fronts. Fitzgerald is a die-hard Viking fan til this day, Romo admits he'll never stop loving The Packers, Rodgers desperately wanted to be drafted by The 49ers, The Mannings endorse The Saints all the time, etc. Why should Cam be silent? Newton is proud of where he's from. I, myself, despise those Dirty Pigeons, but I'm not about to be emotional just because our franchise QB idolizes the organization. This is silly grade school BS.

There is a big difference is saying something that is "wrong" and saying something that is "not smart".

Should it matter that Cam continues to to be a fan of his childhood team....no.

But, as a person in the limelight, he has to realize that those comments would create some level of a shitstorm.  Thus, the best course of action is to divert the question and move on to something else.

#89 Neylus

Neylus

Limited Edition

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:27 AM

I just want Cam to learn how to slide. 👍

#90 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,344 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:53 AM

you must not have watched luck much. the colts line was ranked 31st. constant pressure, took 41 sacks, many qbs would have taken 70. he has great feet, and pocket presence, eyes always downfield. luck and newton's combine numbers were about identical. both very atheletic. luck's 6' 4" 235 is better suited for working the pocket than cam's 6' 6" 250.

Ummm, no. If what you say is true then why is Cam ranked way ahead of Luck in pocket pressure?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com