Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NBA.com: New Orleans, Charlotte working together during transition of nickname

8 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Really cool story on NBA.com about how the New Orleans and Charlotte franchises came together in a great way around the Hornets nickname.

It also mentions that our franchise is making a donation to their Gulf Coast Preservation Fund after all this is over.  Classy move by the organization.

“We are very pleased to transition the Hornets name to Charlotte, where the name has a unique fit and meaning to their fans, much like Pelicans has to our fans and our region,” Benson said. “Working together with the Charlotte organization we were able to make this happen with the fans of both communities benefiting and we look forward to working with them on finalizing the specifics of the transition. We are also very thankful to the Charlotte organization for their contribution to the Pelicans Gulf Coast Preservation Fund. It speaks to the positive nature when two teams work together for the better good of our game, our league and our communities.”

http://www.nba.com/pelicans/news/new-orleans-charlotte-working-together-during-transition-hornets-nickname

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Must......hate......New Orleans.  Ugh, why a feel-good story with them?

Posted · Report post

I also read that we were going to be able to share the history of the original Charlotte Hornets with the Pelicans.

Posted · Report post

Just like New Orleans. Always asking for money and needing help from outsiders.

JK I just have to hate them no matter what. Pretty cool stuff though

Hornets sounds way wayyyyy better than Pelicans. I didn't think anything could be worse than "Bobcats" but Pelicans is the all time worst

Posted · Report post

Just like New Orleans. Always asking for money and needing help from outsiders.

JK I just have to hate them no matter what. Pretty cool stuff though

Hornets sounds way wayyyyy better than Pelicans. I didn't think anything could be worse than "Bobcats" but Pelicans is the all time worst

Posted · Report post

Pelicans sounds like a senior bowling team. I would flip shit if i lived there. Bobcats at least sound like a high school squad

Posted · Report post

nvm

Posted · Report post

Rick Bonnell: Statement by Pelicans owner Tom Benson mentions the "unique fit and meaning" Hornets name has in Charlotte. Twitter @rick_bonnell

I don't know how likely this is, but someone mentioned to Bonnell on twitter that he thinks it was a conspiracy and that MJ asked Benson to buy the team so we could get the name back...