Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The not so special teams

18 posts in this topic

Posted

Any real hope that this group excels this year? Three or four more impact plays and I think we could've made the playoffs last year.

Posted

New special teams coach.

Ted Ginn Jr.

So yeah that's a few reasons.

Posted

No, we just have fake hope.

I'd say special teams is almost always the area where there's a chance for big improvement if you're bad. You've always got guys trying to make the team and impress, and the widest possible choice of bodies to put on the field. Add in a new coach and who knows?

Posted

His name is Ted Ginn

And here's to hoping he torches the Seahawks like this week 1. 

7 people like this

Posted

It's more than just punt returns, kick returns, punts, and field goals... our punt and kick coverage is subpar and our gunners always over pursue. I'd almost rather them go all Dante Wesley on the returners because more than likely the return is goin to be more than 15 yards.

Posted

Yeah our blocking is god awful.

Posted

Eh, new season, some key new players, and a new coach...I choose to be optimistic that they'll step up.

3 people like this

Posted

Having Ginn gives hope.  I wonder how many more games we would have won the past two seasons with competent ST

Posted

I agree having Ginn gives me a lot more hope that things will be better on Special Teams.

Posted

If I remember correctly, return coverage wasn't too bad last year.  Two years ago it was abysmal, but last year it was pretty decent.  There were a couple bad returns they allowed, but other than those it was good.

Posted

Well if ST's turns it around gives the offense short fields and heaven forbid they score a few times. This will translate into less stat padding opportunities for Cam thus leading to his Junior year "slump".

Posted

Coach Murphy was terrible, he's gone so that's a start.