79 replies to this topic

#1 ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

Insane Racist Moron

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,086 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:25 PM

Much ado has been made over whether or not the Panthers are playoff contenders this year. I say yes they are simply because of the improvement to the interior of the defensive line. I'll lay this case out in better detail if need be, but let me say this:

Three losses swing this past season from a losing season to a playoff berth. The first Atlanta game, the second Tampa game, and the Chicago game. Each of those games was lost on the final drive of the opposing offense. If the Panther's defense, specifically the interior line, were better and had prevented a single play in each game, we would be talking about a Panther's playoff showing.

If the Panthers had won those three games, we would have had a "wins in conference" advantage over Minnesota. Each loss can be attributed to a failure on the Panthers' defensive line (despite how awesomely the line played statistically last year).

Happy to lay out my observation further, but I want to see what the board comes up with.

Thoughts?

#2 CelibatePimp

CelibatePimp

BAMF

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:33 PM

Your math is bad! Star + Short = Superbowl.

Star - Short = Playoffs.

The only thing is IF they would be able to produce immediately.

#3 L-TownCat

L-TownCat

Post Draught Hangover

• HUDDLER
  • 4,453 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:34 PM

Several factors will play into our eventual and in my opinion inevitable playoff berth. Increased production on the defensive side of the ball coupled with a more conventional yet cutting edge mobile QB led offense should by my own suspicions lead to more victories ie playoffs.

#4 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,936 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:35 PM

we shouldnt have even given the team the ball. you give us.  coach who doesn't think it's a good idea to put the ball in the other team's hand and trust your own defense when the game is on the line and i'll show you a coach that delivers more wins.

#5 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,936 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:37 PM

having a better interior dline does make that decision less stupid, though...or it least it gives it some chance of success. still a bad idea, imo.

#6 Your GFs favorite huddler

Your GFs favorite huddler

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • LocationRural Hall, nc

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:40 PM

4 plays away from 11-5 if you throw in the Seattle game...but the past is the past and that's why they play the game needless to say I'm sooooooooooo ready to get this season started...with our schedule being so tough I feel like if we get into the playoffs we will be a force to be reckoned with!! Just look at the Giant Super Bowl teams, sub par record but tough as nails get on a run late who knows what could happen! Hopefully Gettleman brings some of that attitude to this team and staff. Plus I can't even imagine how cam goes off in that spotlight...lets get it!!!!!!

#7 ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

Insane Racist Moron

• HUDDLER
  • 6,086 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:42 PM

Atlanta: Better D-line means no "Nakamura" play
Chicago: Final drive would have shut down with QB pressure
Tampa OT: Wouldn't happen without Doug Martin gashing the middle.

Those three plays would have changed the season from losing failure to playoff berth. Dead serious.

#8 Dex

Dex

Gameday Menu Connoisseur

• HUDDLER
  • 5,831 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:43 PM

One more week.... Give me strength...

#9 ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

Insane Racist Moron

• HUDDLER
  • 6,086 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:45 PM

No.

#10 lovelett

lovelett

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • LocationWest Palm Beach, Florida

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:56 PM

Much ado has been made over whether or not the Panthers are playoff contenders this year. I say yes they are simply because of the improvement to the interior of the defensive line. I'll lay this case out in better detail if need be, but let me say this:

Three losses swing this past season from a losing season to a playoff berth. The first Atlanta game, the second Tampa game, and the Chicago game. Each of those games was lost on the final drive of the opposing offense. If the Panther's defense, specifically the interior line, were better and had prevented a single play in each game, we would be talking about a Panther's playoff showing.

If the Panthers had won those three games, we would have had a "wins in conference" advantage over Minnesota. Each loss can be attributed to a failure on the Panthers' defensive line (despite how awesomely the line played statistically last year).

Happy to lay out my observation further, but I want to see what the board comes up with.

Thoughts?

I thought by reading the title you were saying by adding star and the way we played in shorts we were going to the playoffs. I like the point you are trying to make more though. Even if they are rookies it has to be an upgrade from last year.

#11 CelibatePimp

CelibatePimp

BAMF

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:56 PM

One more week.... Give me strength...

Watching Edmonton vs BC now. Not too bad. Already watched Montreal vs Calgary.

#12 Your GFs favorite huddler

Your GFs favorite huddler

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • LocationRural Hall, nc

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:58 PM

Atlanta: better D-line equals no fractured hand for me.....bar tops aren't very forgiving

#13 Montie_0123

Montie_0123

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:03 PM

The season is just around the corner and I can't wait!!!

#14 Montie_0123

Montie_0123

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:06 PM

Better D-line against Atlanta means I don't have to be pissed every time I see Naka falling down on what should have been an easy Int or knock down pass.

#15 La Pantera

La Pantera

humpin' habanero

• HUDDLER
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:17 PM

DT depth is the key(and we have that now). Limiting the rookies snaps is a must, so they don't run out of gas at the end of the season.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.