17 replies to this topic

#1 Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:42 AM

Jeff Taylor, Charlotte Bobcats

The Las Vegas Summer League showcases the fine line between fringe players with guaranteed contracts and those still fighting for a roster spot. But that muddle of similarly capable end-of-the-rotation types only makes it that much more obvious when a clear-cut NBA player is on the court. Taylor, the 31st pick in 2012, is just that. In Charlotte’s first four games, the 6-7 swingman pressured opponents off the dribble, leveraged his athleticism on break-outs and fared surprisingly well as a primary offensive option in a half-court setting.

Although merely an average perimeter shooter, Taylor looked surprisingly comfortable driving into traffic for someone whose offense came largely on spot-up jumpers and fast breaks last season. His free rein worked to great effect for the Bobcats, as Taylor has run the two-man game effectively with No. 4 pick Cody Zeller and made the most out of isolations in averaging 20.3 points.

Taylor won’t soon command this much creative responsibility for the first-team Bobcats, but being able to work more effectively off the bounce (and finish drives in a crowd) brings him that much closer to being a quality two-way player. He’ll still need to follow through on his summer-league efforts and prove he can score more effectively against actual NBA defenders on a regular basis. But after his Vegas showing, Taylor, who already looked like a decent prospect, is a nice get for Charlotte.

http://nba.si.com/20.../?sct=uk_t11_a5

#2 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The holy ghost of Mr. Miyagi

• HUDDLER
  • 6,061 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:06 AM

He was a guy who was I surprised got off to a slow start last season.

Nice to see him work hard on his dribble pull up shot...that seperates role players to possible top 3-4 team scorring option.

#3 chubs2496

chubs2496

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:21 AM

I love Taylor. Prolly my favorite player on the team besides kemba or zeller now

#4 Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan

• HUDDLER
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:41 AM

I love Taylor. Prolly my favorite player on the team besides kemba or zeller now

me too...we have to get him minutes

#5 Wolfcop

Wolfcop

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:22 AM

If we don't re-sign GH he will get a ton of minutes.

#6 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The holy ghost of Mr. Miyagi

• HUDDLER
  • 6,061 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:42 AM

I think his showing and improvement kind of devalues Gerald a bit for the Bobcats in terms of negotiating price range.

Getting a sign and trade for GH and having JT as the starting two might be a better fit for the team bc he is more of a stretch shooter than slasher.

However the team will be much better with JT coming off the bench to spell MKG and GH. Thats a plenty minutes for him.

Hate keeping dead weight of Ben Gordon who just fell off the map of what he was when he got that contract from the Bulls? Or Pistons?

#7 Wolfcop

Wolfcop

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 02:10 PM

I would not lose much sleep if JT has to be a starter. I have a feeling he is about to break out. And, like you said, having him on the floor as a 3-ball threat would really help our offense. 

#8 Jakob

Jakob

never conquered rarely came

• Stop Making Threads...
  • 4,014 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 02:23 PM

Am I the only one that thought early in the season that JT would be better than MKG? I feel like he got into a small slump and the coaches took his playing time down.

#9 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:07 PM

Did he dominate the summer circuit last year too?

#10 Montie_0123

Montie_0123

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:33 PM

Hey he's earned it he has played well this summer hopefully he keep getting better.

#11 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 23,935 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina/Virginia

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:38 PM

I don't think Taylor was as much as a surprise as Zeller.

If you watched JT at Vanderbilt then you know what he is capable of.

On the other hand, Zeller is showing things that he didn't even do at IU.

#12 chubs2496

chubs2496

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:27 PM

I don't think Taylor was as much as a surprise as Zeller.

If you watched JT at Vanderbilt then you know what he is capable of.

On the other hand, Zeller is showing things that he didn't even do at IU.

Yeah I really like zeller and his game so far. What really scares me is those blocked shots. I know of Atleast 3-4 shots he was blocked in the memphis game. That's super scary to me

#13 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 18,947 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:45 PM

Yea watching this Summer League, I clearly thought Taylor was the no.2 overall pick and MKG the no.31 pick in the 2012 Draft.

#14 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

Stripper Name: Bo Dangles

• HUDDLER
  • 12,567 posts
  • Locationtied to your basement wall

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:51 PM

I have no doubt that he is better or at least will be quite a bit better than Henderson

#15 Vagrant

Vagrant

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:47 AM

Taylor is 24 years old, whereas MKG is only 19. That accounts for the difference in development. Nobody was expecting results from MKG last year. Nobody will be expecting results from him this year. They'll be expecting progress. By the time he's 24, he's going to be an All Star. If Taylor wasn't head and shoulders ahead of MKG at this point it would be cause for massive concern about Taylor. You're comparing a player who played a full college career to one that flew over Kentucky and picked up a NC.

Taylor makes his bones on defense. His shot will never be anything more than league average, as he didn't even shoot an impressive number in college ball. He can be productive in spot duty, but his potential maxes out as a valuable defensive 6th man on any real team. Henderson is only 25, but will turn 26 in December, so if you're looking for comparable players it makes more sense to compare those two directly and it's a no contest at this point in time. Everybody always gets worked up over these fluff articles and the Summer league which really doesn't mean anything, but he's still a valuable piece. Just a role player getting a little love.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users