73 replies to this topic

#61 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,659 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:53 AM

I work for a college football team, so I'm quite aware of the rules and regulations.

I can guarantee you that the NCAA doesn't care about any of the charges that Hairston received because the NCAA only looks out for one thing, themselves.

The NCAA is and will be involved, just because your local newspaper hasn't reported about it, does not mean they aren't involved.

Just so you know, every school has a compliance officer to make sure that rules are not broken... here is one of those rules... A coach can give his player a bagel, but that player must pay for his own cream cheese (this is an actual rule regarding per diems and giving food to players).

Recently a player at the college I work at got arrested for attempted robbery and guess what... he's still on the team because he didn't break any NCAA violations.

The smart thing for UNC to do is to wait until the NCAA has ruled to make a decision on Hairston. With Hairston and McDonald being the only players under scrutiny, there probably won't be a post-season ban and at the very most Hairston will be suspended for a year.

All I have to say is if you don't know the rules, don't make yourself out to be all high and mighty.

To start the process, UNC would have to declare Hairston ineligible for receiving an extra benefit. Then the university would seek his reinstatement through the five-member Division I Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement.

“The staff considers a number of factors including guidelines established by the (committee on reinstatement),” Potter wrote.

Among those factors, according to Potter: The type of violations and the value of benefits, whether a significant competitive advantage was gained through the use of the extra benefit and the responsibility of the athlete for the violations.

UNC hasn’t commented about whether it deems Hairston’s use of rental cars to be an extra benefit, and Steve Kirschner, an athletic department spokesperson, had no comment when reached Wednesday. The NCAA doesn’t comment on ongoing, pending or potential cases

#62 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 24,652 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina/Virginia

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:23 AM

To start the process, UNC would have to declare Hairston ineligible for receiving an extra benefit. Then the university would seek his reinstatement through the five-member Division I Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement.

“The staff considers a number of factors including guidelines established by the (committee on reinstatement),” Potter wrote.

Among those factors, according to Potter: The type of violations and the value of benefits, whether a significant competitive advantage was gained through the use of the extra benefit and the responsibility of the athlete for the violations.

UNC hasn’t commented about whether it deems Hairston’s use of rental cars to be an extra benefit, and Steve Kirschner, an athletic department spokesperson, had no comment when reached Wednesday. The NCAA doesn’t comment on ongoing, pending or potential cases

Read more here: http://www.newsobser...l#storylink=cpy

That's after the NCAA starts the investigation. There's no need to declare him ineligible before the investigation even starts.

#63 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,659 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:29 AM

That's after the NCAA starts the investigation. There's no need to declare him ineligible before the investigation even starts.

Where does it say that?

#64 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 24,652 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:32 AM

Where does it say that?

That's something that I know...

I'm not going to go into details, but remember the UNC football scandal? Those players weren't deemed ineligible until a week (and some, a day) before the first game against LSU.

#65 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,659 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:48 AM

That's something that I know...

I'm not going to go into details, but remember the UNC football scandal? Those players weren't deemed ineligible until a week (and some, a day) before the first game against LSU.

If that's the case it seems ridiculous to me.  If you as an institution feel like your player committed a violation the first thing you should do, in my eyes, is declare him ineligible and then self report.  Why do you wait until the NCAA starts investigating?

#66 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 24,652 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:56 AM

If that's the case it seems ridiculous to me.  If you as an institution feel like your player committed a violation the first thing you should do, in my eyes, is declare him ineligible and then self report.  Why do you wait until the NCAA starts investigating?

The compliance officer that I know told me that only time he sees players ruled ineligible before the season starts is if a player is academically ineligible or breaks a team rule.

One reason he stated that as long as a player isn't actively participating with the team (practice or summer school), there isn't a real reason to rule a player ineligible because that player isn't jeopardizing the teams eligibility.

#67 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,659 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:10 AM

The compliance officer that I know told me that only time he sees players ruled ineligible before the season starts is if a player is academically ineligible or breaks a team rule.

One reason he stated that as long as a player isn't actively participating with the team (practice or summer school), there isn't a real reason to rule a player ineligible because that player isn't jeopardizing the teams eligibility.

So what happens in 3 weeks when classes start?  Also does unc not practice and weight lift together in the summer?  I know that Duke players excluding upcoming freshmen were all working out together this summer unless they were playing for the USA (Suliamon) or trying out for the USA team (Hood).  The freshmen showed up for the second summer session and started working out with the team immediately.  

#68 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 24,652 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:27 AM

So what happens in 3 weeks when classes start?  Also does unc not practice and weight lift together in the summer?  I know that Duke players excluding upcoming freshmen were all working out together this summer unless they were playing for the USA (Suliamon) or trying out for the USA team (Hood).  The freshmen showed up for the second summer session and started working out with the team immediately.  

In three weeks, it could be a different story and he could very likely be ruled ineligible.

Regarding practice, as far as I know Hairston is not practicing with the team right now.

Judging from tweets, most of the guys are practicing unless they are injured (Joel James).

#69 Positive Affirmations

Positive Affirmations

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:31 AM

And maybe you unc fans will get your heads out of the sand eventually. It's those pesky facts that always get in the way for you heels fans.

when life gets tough, I recommend a xanax.... 

#70 CarolinaPanthersCynic

CarolinaPanthersCynic

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:56 AM

You have to be really stupid to drive around with no license, guns and marijuana in a car while speeding.

Good thing UNC allows their players to cheat in the classroom.

#71 YoungPanthers89

YoungPanthers89

Lucy Snorebush

• HUDDLER
  • 11,132 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:50 PM

http://www.usatoday....eeding/2594791/

Guessing he's gonna get off of this one too

#72 NanceUSMC

NanceUSMC

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:04 PM

WTH is he thinking???

#73 CarolinaNCSU

CarolinaNCSU

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,326 posts
  • LocationRaleigh

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:05 PM

Just lol

This dude is just an idiot, plain and simple. 

#74 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 24,652 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:07 PM

Mother of God...

Please get rid of this man.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users