• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Wolfcop

Wolfcop

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:06 AM

The Charlotte Bobcats are still stuck in discussions with restricted free agent Gerald Henderson after giving him a qualifying offer and despite talk of a sign and trade earlier in the offseason with the Timberwolves and the Bucks, neither of those deals came to fruition and now the team must look elsewhere, possibly the Memphis Grizzlies or Indiana Pacers.

http://www.sportswor...acers-danny.htm

#2 chubs2496

chubs2496

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:14 AM

Link is broken but anyways I wonder of jordan is actually thinking about trying to get grainger or something like that. Can't Reallly think of anything else from Memphis or Indiana

#3 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,570 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina/Virginia

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:21 AM

We can't afford Granger, Bonnell already shot that rumor down.

#4 chubs2496

chubs2496

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:16 AM

We can't afford Granger, Bonnell already shot that rumor down.

Hey now maybe they could use the services of a great scoring 6th man in Ben Gordon lol. But yeah I was just assuming that's who they was lookinh to get. I can think if anyone else who would even be decent.

#5 Zaximus

Zaximus

I'm Brett Jensen

• HUDDLER
  • 4,931 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:25 AM

You can afford any player if you're willing to pay the tax lol.

#6 chubs2496

chubs2496

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:36 AM

You can afford any player if you're willing to pay the tax lol.

I thought u had to be under the luxury tax enough to be able to cover the player your trading for

#7 OchoNueve

OchoNueve

for those of you that don't habla espanol...

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:57 AM

We could do a sign and trade with Gerald Henderson and take on any amount of salary (yes, even if it put us over the luxury tax) as long as the trade is legit.  I think you guys either misunderstood Bonnell's quote or he is wrong.

If you are already over the cap, you can trade with another team and take back comparable salary (within 25% of each other give or take).  If you are over the cap, you cannot sign a free agent if his salary will put you over the cap.

#8 chubs2496

chubs2496

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:25 AM

We could do a sign and trade with Gerald Henderson and take on any amount of salary (yes, even if it put us over the luxury tax) as long as the trade is legit. I think you guys either misunderstood Bonnell's quote or he is wrong.

If you are already over the cap, you can trade with another team and take back comparable salary (within 25% of each other give or take). If you are over the cap, you cannot sign a free agent if his salary will put you over the cap.

Oh ok. It's always been confusing to me what they can and can't do.

#9 chubs2496

chubs2496

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:31 AM

I honestly figured we would have signed him by now or Atleast been close by now. Anybody think we end up trading hendo?

#10 Zaximus

Zaximus

I'm Brett Jensen

• HUDDLER
  • 4,931 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:07 AM

I think it would be a massive fail on the front office's part if we don't sign him.  It almost negates the Jefferson signing to be honest.   If we're low balling him that would be disappointing.  

#11 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:00 AM

I dont see a sign and trade at this point.  He either re-signs for a few years or signs the 1 year qualifying offer and becomes a free agent next summer

#12 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The holy ghost of Mr. Miyagi

• HUDDLER
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:02 AM

The guard market is a bit dry at the moment.

Either way..sign long term or qualifying offer it will be good for the team...incentive for GH to have a great year.

#13 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 23,570 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina/Virginia

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:04 AM

Gerald Henderson is one of the few players that we drafted (and kept) that has had a successful career.

Here's to hoping they figure out something soon.

#14 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The holy ghost of Mr. Miyagi

• HUDDLER
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:10 AM

His inability to stay healthy for a full season is his greatest downfall. I wonder if that is his main concern from the front office. He has all the tools, ability and production to be a starter in the league.

#15 OchoNueve

OchoNueve

for those of you that don't habla espanol...

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:38 AM

With Hendo reportedly requesting in the ballpark of $8-9mil a year I think the Bobcats are asking themselves if he is our long term shooting guard or if we want to take a run at guys like Paul George in free agency next off season and upgrade over Henderson for the price he is asking.

I would love to sign him to a $5-6mil a year contract because we can maintain flexibility with next year's offseason and still be active in competitive.  Signing him to a big boy contract like he wants means he is out starter for years to come.  He is a good and productive starter, but if they think they can bring in an upgrade at his position next season for any amount of money then they should not sign him simply just because we drafted him.

With all of the salary cap maneuvering that Rich Cho has been doing to create flexibility, he is not going to use it all up just because we can.  That is why we were stuck with Gerald Wallace and Stephen Jackson as our core players, because we overpaid them and had no choice but to stick with them as our go-to guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users