Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Justice Department - Not so fast you crazy GOP states

15 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Justice Department to challenge states’ voting rights laws

Holder hinted at the Justice Department’s voting rights strategy a week ago at the annual convention of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People in Orlando when he sharply criticized the Supreme Court’s ruling on the Voting Rights Act.

“Let me be clear,” Holder said in a speech. “This was a deeply disappointing and flawed decision. It dealt a serious setback to the cause of voting rights . . . And this is why protecting the fundamental right to vote — for all Americans — will continue to be a top priority for the Department of Justice so long as I have the privilege of serving as attorney general.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/justice-department-to-challenge-states-voting-rights-laws/2013/07/25/c26740b2-f49b-11e2-a2f1-a7acf9bd5d3a_story_1.html

Posted · Report post

Supreme Court be damned eh...

I'm sure they'll find a judge somewhere.  Picking and choosing the laws he's going to uphold...Holder is one of if not THE worst attorney general in the history of the US.

Posted · Report post

I'm sure they'll find a judge somewhere.  Picking and choosing the laws he's going to uphold...Holder is one of if not THE worst attorney general in the history of the US.

i agree, people in government openly trying to subvert a supreme court decision is just outlandish.

well, i mean, except for that one...

4 people like this

Posted · Report post

Are trying to make a point?

Posted · Report post

Roe_v._Wade_Headline_1973.jpg

I agree

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I agree

First 3 months...LOL...I love that headline. 

Nevermind that liberals are raising hell that states are putting restrictions on >20 weeks and holy hell is raised. 

You were saying?

Posted · Report post

First 3 months...LOL...I love that headline.

Nevermind that liberals are raising hell that states are putting restrictions on >20 weeks and holy hell is raised.

You were saying?

Yeah that's all their doing.

Posted · Report post

"Hey thats not fair...unless we are doing it" g5

Posted · Report post

the court didn't even strike down the voting rights act itself.  the decision forces congress to draw up new requirements which is something that will never, ever happen because of partisan gridlock.

it even says in the article that holder's DoJ isn't even attempting to address provisions that were affected by the ruling.

Posted · Report post

The way I read it...nothing more than codifying what that headline states.

Try again....and there's nothing wrong with legislatures/Congress writing laws.  Holder doesn't write laws...he's supposed to uphold the laws passed, but the laws that USSC decisions uphold. 

Posted · Report post

the court didn't even strike down the voting rights act itself.  the decision forces congress to draw up new requirements which is something that will never, ever happen because of partisan gridlock.

Which is correct, because that "landscape" changes with societal changes. 

Posted · Report post

theory: yes lets re examine how we ensure elections are free and fair, it's been 40 years!

reality: hey this morning we get to pass VoterID laws designed to suppress THE SAME PEOPLE FROM VOTING lol

2 people like this