Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

Ryan is a $100 million man, what do you expect for Cam?

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#31 Miiikey

Miiikey

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • LocationSun Diego

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:55 PM

If he resigned today probably around 80m. But I expect him to have a great season, so maybe just under 100m, maybe high 90s.

Would like to think Gettleman won't wipe out our cap with 1 resigning, but if theres one player we should keep its Cam. 

#32 KSpan

KSpan

Bow-chicka-wow-wow!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,420 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:57 PM

Ryan is the beneficiary of that somewhat ridiculous Flacco contract.  Like Flacco, Ryan is a very good player who has had consistent regular-season success with a strong supporting cast.  Unlike Flacco, Ryan has shown next to nothing in the playoffs. 

As for Cam, agree with the previous posters who said this year is the linchpin.  A great year could easily result in a similar contract, if not more becuase his ceiling is so high.

#33 L-TownCat

L-TownCat

Baptized In The Blood Of Saints

• HUDDLER
  • 4,640 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:00 PM

I'm thinking that Cam is gonna get an appropriate offer from the front office.  We all know its about the guaranteed money anyway.  Throw 80 Mill at him and guarantee the bulk of it.  If 60 mil hits his account what difference does it make whether or not he got the coveted 100 mill contract.  

Guaranteed money, folks, Guaranteed money.

That is all. 

#34 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 37,480 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:04 PM

Would like to think Gettleman won't wipe out our cap with 1 resigning, but if theres one player we should keep its Cam.

When I think about the future of this team, there are certainly things I see as cause for concern.

Gettleman wildly overpaying someone is one of the least likely of those concerns.

#35 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,455 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:33 PM

Right now Cam wouldn't get a deal like that.

#36 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,516 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:37 PM

i really do not think you can over pay a QB. it is a QB driven league, if your guy(QB) is on your roster, and you consider him a franchise QB, you will have to pay him as such.

#37 Cary Kollins

Cary Kollins

keep lbing

• HUDDLER
  • 6,080 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:37 PM

Right me Cam wouldn't get a deal like that.

seconded

#38 PiratePanther189

PiratePanther189

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:44 PM

Ryan is the beneficiary of that somewhat ridiculous Flacco contract.  Like Flacco, Ryan is a very good player who has had consistent regular-season success with a strong supporting cast.  Unlike Flacco, Ryan has shown next to nothing in the playoffs. 

As for Cam, agree with the previous posters who said this year is the linchpin.  A great year could easily result in a similar contract, if not more becuase his ceiling is so high.

It's not just being a 'beneficiary' of  the Flacco deal, though. Think about some of the QB's that have re-signed this summer. Flacco, Matt Ryan, Stafford, Romo, there's big time money being dished out right now for QBs and it's honestly seeming like not as much of a trend, but a new standard for franchise QB money that's being set for the future. It's scary to teams like us that haven't locked their star QBs up yet.

And it has to get more complicated as you look at other teams. Now, a lot of guys aren't going to get 100 mil deals, but the money is jumping from a situation where you would once pay 50 or 60 to now looking at 70 or 80, maybe 90. Does Cincy want to pay Dalton that kind of money? What about StL reupping Bradford? Chicago with Cutler? Phillip Rivers? Things could get interesting.

#39 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 19,265 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:46 PM

dexter holland may now be the second-richest noodles

#40 hepcat

hepcat

Skandalouz

• HUDDLER
  • 4,339 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:09 PM

How much money he gets all depends on if he wins or not.  Matt Ryan has made the playoffs 4 out of the 5 years he's been a starter.  Cam is 0-2.  I really hope he doesn't LeBron us and leave, because the Panthers sure have done a good job not bringing him any help on offense.

#41 Mike

Mike

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:28 PM

If we have another 6-10 or 7-9 season, or at least don't return to the play offs, his deal may be less than that. If we have a winning season and make the play offs, perhaps even win a game or two, then it could be quite similar or better.

Ultimately it is difficult to say because Cam is still finding his way. Ryan is now a qb that has led his team to 4 or 5 play off appearances, division titles, and were close to getting to the super bowl. Right now Ryan is far ahead of Cam. Cam has to prove he can close that gap and lead this team to contention. Time will tell.

#42 LA_Panther

LA_Panther

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:30 PM

Falcons overpaid. Dude is not a 100mil QB

#43 lovelett

lovelett

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • LocationWest Palm Beach, Florida

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:35 PM

There are a lot of haters here. There have been in the playoffs 4 or the past five years, whether he is tom brady or not he is doing well.

#44 tiger7_88

tiger7_88

old skool SWAG

• HUDDLER
  • 4,356 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:17 PM

With the kind of cap hit Ryan's gonna have on the Falcan'ts salary cap, if they don't win it this year I bet Steven Jackson and Osi Uminyora are one-and-done.

#45 CelticCat

CelticCat

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:25 PM

It's not just being a 'beneficiary' of  the Flacco deal, though. Think about some of the QB's that have re-signed this summer. Flacco, Matt Ryan, Stafford, Romo, there's big time money being dished out right now for QBs and it's honestly seeming like not as much of a trend, but a new standard for franchise QB money that's being set for the future. It's scary to teams like us that haven't locked their star QBs up yet.

And it has to get more complicated as you look at other teams. Now, a lot of guys aren't going to get 100 mil deals, but the money is jumping from a situation where you would once pay 50 or 60 to now looking at 70 or 80, maybe 90. Does Cincy want to pay Dalton that kind of money? What about StL reupping Bradford? Chicago with Cutler? Phillip Rivers? Things could get interesting.

I'd certainly feel better about paying Cam 100 mil than Dalton, Bradford, Cutler or Rivers. Good point.

Ryan may not have won many playoff games but I think his regular season statistics definitely make him worthy of that money.

I think Cam will be too. Hopefully the D will step up enough this year that over the next two draft years we can draft some quality talent to grow with Cam like Dalton and Ryan have. Smitty can't play forever unfortunately.

Truth be told, I was a big fan of drafting Short in round two, I was happy about that. I was projecting a Vaccaro/Short draft for us. But i'll be watching Keenan Allens career very closely in San Diego.

I was wanting Jeffery or Sanu in round two of last year draft. If I was the Panther GM id have already drafted our 2 WR's to grow with Cam and addressed the G's in FA. It'll be interesting to see what the future holds at WR for us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.