Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jay-Z vs Harry Belafonte

29 posts in this topic

Posted

Now there's a man I would vote for if he ran for president. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Whoa, you just sent the wrong message all around. You just bigged up the white guy against me in the white media.’ I’m not saying that in a racial way.

Now, how can that not be taken in a racist way? Cuz he didn't say cracker? How can he not say that in a racial way, when he just pointed out a specific skin color?

Posted

can someone explain why what belafonte said is ok and what jay z said is not ok

further, what's the difference between "now that springsteen fella, he's black" and "rg3 is a cornball brother

2 people like this

Posted

Figures that the mentioning of the word "white" is the only thing some tend to notice, while the rest of the content gets ignored. The article outside this petty personal squabble is actually a good read, and makes quality points.

Posted

Figures that the mentioning of the word "white" is the only thing some tend to notice, while the rest of the content gets ignored. The article outside this petty personal squabble is actually a good read, and makes quality points.

Yep, that's what did it... he mentioned "white"... puuuhlease.

I couldn't care less...   but don't act like it was a "racial" statement, are you saying it wasn't?

The article does make some good points about something other than what Jay Z or HB said... I wonder if Jay Z is listening?

Posted

Yep, that's what did it... he mentioned "white"... puuuhlease.

I couldn't care less... but don't act like it was a "racial" statement, are you saying it wasn't?

The article does make some good points about something other than what Jay Z or HB said... I wonder if Jay Z is listening?

I didn't create this thread. Zod did, and what was the first thing he made it about? Yeah, you guessed it. Then we have characters like tbterror and YML coming in and immediately following in his footsteps. How unexpected.

Posted

it's actually hilarious this Belafonte guy would bring up Springsteen considering Jay-Z and Springsteen have very, very much in common musically, if you really think about it.

Posted

I didn't create this thread. Zod did, and what was the first thing he made it about? Yeah, you guessed it. Then we have characters like tbterror and YML coming in and immediately following in his footsteps. How unexpected.

Zod nor anyone else can control what others say or think...  if they say something out of line, I'm sure he'll ban them.

...and you didn't answer my question.

Posted

...and you didn't answer my question.

I already established the answer to that with my first post in this thread.

If you think Jay's statement was racist, what about the remarks Belafonte made? No issue with that whatsoever?

Like I've already said. People read what they want to read, and miss the big picture. Offended white people is certainly nothing new here, and I fully anticipated this thread to head where it has given the subject matter.

Posted

I already established the answer to that with my first post in this thread.

If you think Jay's statement was racist, what about the remarks Belafonte made? No issue with that whatsoever?

Like I've already said. People read what they want to read, and miss the big picture. Offended white people is certainly nothing new here, and I fully anticipated this thread to head where it has given the subject matter.

I read the article that was posted and this was all it said HB said...

where Harry said that Jay-Z and his lovely wife Beyonce could do more for black people than get us to shake our b*utts and buy their records.

Is that what you're asking me about?

I'm not offended... I don't care what Jay Z thinks... I just thought it was ironic that he made racial comments and the usual peanut galleries only response was "lol u mad?"

Posted

it actually makes perfect sense.

Belafonte wants Jay-Z to be more like Bruce Springsteen (obviously a white, charitable man). He said Springsteen is black.

Jay-z responds that you tried to big up me for picking a white dude, to sympathize with white media (who has blasted his lyrics/music)

The problem i have is that if you take the two at face value, they are very different (springsteen and jay-z)

but if you actually look into what they do, how both of their music is relatable to people who feel trapped in the drudgery of life and want out. To Jay-z, belafonte was just playing to white folks. They both mythologize, make people feel cooler than they really are.

Jay-Z has donated millions to charitable causes as has Springsteen. He has set an example (even if his past isn't one) just like Springsteen of how hard work, believing in yourself, and determination can get out of that life and you can make something of yourself. Hence why he said my "presence is charitable." Springsteen would never say that out loud, but he knows it.

That is what I took from that. I didn't think Jay-z was being racist at all.

Posted

I read the article that was posted and this was all it said HB said...

Is that what you're asking me about?

I'm not offended... I don't care what Jay Z thinks... I just thought it was ironic that he made racial comments and the usual peanut galleries only response was "lol u mad?"

I know you're trying to be sarcastic, but simplifying the opinion of those here who just happen to share opposing views from yours as saying nothing but "lol u mad" repeatedly is exactly the kind of nonsense I'm referring to.