halt the tomfoolery

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  • Locationthe.black.lodge

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:35 AM

A Sunday Morning Rambling by Snow

*Note: for the abbreviated version, see the bolded text

Observing the mindset and culture of generations is telling about where things are headed.

So let's look at something in a rather non-traditional way:

I believe that rising technology has a direct effect on depreciating the influence of religion in society.  The more information that becomes accessible, the more people feel comfortable defining things within their own parameters.  Basically, it creates less need for a base organization eliciting how to properly live.  Today, we have an amazing tool that allows us to share, communicate, observe, hypothesize, and formulate an opinion and overall moral code.    

Now in addition to this and in the same respect, I think the entertainment industry, that in my opinion peaked in the 90s, is our non-traditional monarchy.  It defines the top echelons of society from the aesthetic standpoint and guides style and attitude.  

Considering these two rather important factors that have helped define things since around the mid-50s (religion and the entertainment industry), the internet has honestly taken away their pull.  More and more influence is coming from an open-source and taking the influence away from things like Hollywood, DC, cable, and religion.  This is a big reason why people who shouldn't be celebrities become celebrities and people who shouldn't be politicians are politicians.  The internal structures got used to propping people up rather than a population.    

In a nutshell: the internet is obviously the global plaza/square and the powers that arise from it will replace certain things moving forward in society.  

What I don't think people realize much is that when the generation that grew up during the transition from pre to post information age comes to their 40s and 50s, that is when we will look back and say, holy f*ck, look at the way we lived.  

I'm basically trying to scale down the exponential effects of technology as relatable as possible. I think by around 2025, certain things that many here would never believe to happen will be reality.

One big one is that we are moving towards becoming a non-religious society (important: not atheist, just void of the concept of religion...it's a replaceable societal concept), the other is that the entertainment industry will be redefined and not hollywood based.  

Now I don't have the foresight to say what will replace certain things, but bottom line is that they will be replaced.  When influence is depreciated, something more in line and common amongst a population rises to power.  We are the hazy middle-ground where we see the influence fading away but haven't found the new entities that will be our guide when it comes to having a code to live by.  You get random sputters of nimrods rising to political prominence, sputters of uninspired protesting, real protesting, an overall clusterf*ck of a directionless society which we are in.  

At first, the internet was a tool like a telephone or tv...it then became a clusterf*ck (and still is) and now the more refined it gets, the more it becomes the essential shaper of our whole society's construct.  

There's my paper for the morning.  

#2 PhillyB

PhillyB

hari kari for amari

• ALL-PRO
  • 21,676 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:51 PM

nice writeup. i think about this stuff all the time.

the internet is the most revolutionizing tool the world has ever seen. it eclipses the acheulean hand axe and the print press as inventions that propel future technology and the way people do things forward at a heretofore unseen rate. we are only beginning to understand its effect.

#3 Montsta

Montsta

Rest In Peace

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,108 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:58 PM

The ability to know everything about everything that is happening around us instantaneously, before a corporate/media/government narrative is formed and shoved down our throats is always kind of a trip to me. My daughter is 11 and I make it a point to educate her on the ramifications of what she says and does on the Internet more than I do any form of religious teaching. Which I suppose is your point exactly.

#4 Saxist Fed

Saxist Fed

halt the tomfoolery

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 04:13 AM

nice writeup. i think about this stuff all the time.

the internet is the most revolutionizing tool the world has ever seen. it eclipses the acheulean hand axe and the print press as inventions that propel future technology and the way people do things forward at a heretofore unseen rate. we are only beginning to understand its effect.

It really is amazing.  It has become "the tool" for virtually everything.  One can learn, sustain a job, shop, order food, play, f*ck, have text audio and video communication, inspire, influence.  It provides a digital plane to literally do and conjure anything.  The scope at which it can be used is astounding and it's ramifications on our pre-existing political, entertainment and religious realms will happen a lot faster than some think and has already in a big way.  

The ability to know everything about everything that is happening around us instantaneously, before a corporate/media/government narrative is formed and shoved down our throats is always kind of a trip to me. My daughter is 11 and I make it a point to educate her on the ramifications of what she says and does on the Internet more than I do any form of religious teaching. Which I suppose is your point exactly.

I totally agree.  That's where they've lost all of their pull.  

And yeah that's an example of the situation in a way.  People can shape it how they want to be their open source manual for everything.  Essentially a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy haha.  I swear Douglas Adams was a genius ahead of his time.  

I think it will be amazing to see how the people that have only lived in the information age and beyond grow up.  It's also why I believe the people in the most important position right now are the parents who have experienced the transition.    

#5 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,975 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:38 AM

I only have one question:

When do I get my neural shunt so I can access the net with my mind?

#6 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,775 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:46 AM

The internet is also very much in it's infancy.  We're still just messing around with stuff right now.  The full potential is well beyond our current understanding.  

#7 Saxist Fed

Saxist Fed

halt the tomfoolery

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:00 PM

in time Darth, in time

#8 Doyle

Doyle

Headed to the county line

• HUDDLER
  • 6,232 posts
  • LocationRichardson's toilet

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:15 PM

PM Venom.  I bet he sells them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com