Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ruff's 7-28 Camp Observations

52 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Poole should make the roster as well

unfortunately for poole, barner is already higher on the totem pole than he is.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

if stewart isn't rushed back and williams starts the season slow like he traditionally has, barner could see more reps than people think.

Well....

Williams and Barner I think represent 2 guys that fit 2 different things. We haven't been lining up RBs behind a FB playing smash mouth....and that is Williams. He is patient and really thrives with a good lead block. Barner more of a spread back who just hits his hole.

Williams would fit more of what Shula did in Tampa. Barner would fit more of what Chud had been doing.

Williams is a good RB in the schemes Fox had. I don't expect to see him consistently excel again unless we get back to that....and with Cam
I don't want it. Even though he finished the last game going ham on NO.....he was equally unimpressive right up to that game.

Barner pass protection will determine if Barner gets real chances in my opinion. He likely already would be the most dangerous runner and receiver from those shotgun spread looks.

Posted · Report post

We kept only 3 backs on the roster last season. I see 4 making the team Dlo, Stew, Tolbert and Barner. I dont see a way another makes the 53, barring injury.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

We kept only 3 backs on the roster last season. I see 4 making the team Dlo, Stew, Tolbert and Barner. I dont see a way another makes the 53, barring injury.

I guess if Stewart starts the year PUP....that would be a huge opportunity for one RB to get a shot that normally wouldn't

Posted · Report post

Very happy to read these write ups.

Posted · Report post

I guess if Stewart starts the year PUP....that would be a huge opportunity for one RB to get a shot that normally wouldn't

That's a definite possibility. Then said player would be waived upon Stewarts return. My moneys on Stewie being ready game one.

Posted · Report post

How was David Gettis? If you go down there tomorrow can you tell me how he is looking? Also who will win the opposite side corner? I really like Josh Thomas in that spot, but who is it looking to be?

Josh played physical today, no doubt about it. But, I think the opposite corner job belongs to Captain until further notice. David Gettis also looked good. Even Rivera said he's had a good start to training camp, but he did get shaken up on a long incompletion down the sideline. He eventually came back and finished with the receivers, though.

Posted · Report post

Still quite a log jam at the position...going to be hard to get him reps if all are healthy.

I think he may fit what we were doing better than any.....if he transitions to next level

I'm not sure it will be a matter of getting a lot of snaps. i think he'll end up with significantly less than williams, stewart, and even cam. i just think his skill set and the situations will be able to translate into big yardage plays and if it's anywhere near the red zone he could wind up easily breaking off into the end zone. his touches will likely be limited, but his yards per touch won't  be.

btw, i think he'll translate just fine into the pros. i don't see him as being much as a blocker, but i also don't think you expect him to be. he's a big play weapon. that's all.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Poole should make the roster as well

Personally doubt it, Williams/Stewart/Barner/Tolbert/Brockel will be our stable imo. Tolbert will rotate as we've seen as a 4th ball carrier. Poole will either be PC, or cut, it sucks because I liked him, but he's not as talented as our top four runners. 

Posted · Report post

Josh played physical today, no doubt about it. But, I think the opposite corner job belongs to Captain until further notice. David Gettis also looked good. Even Rivera said he's had a good start to training camp, but he did get shaken up on a long incompletion down the sideline. He eventually came back and finished with the receivers, though.

I'm really hoping that DG12 makes the team, IMO of our current core (excluding Smith) given his one season he's shown the most promise to develop into #1. 6'3, track speed, and he showed good hands. It's no wonder so many fans wish him well. Just got hurt at a really bad time. 

Posted · Report post

I remember when I posted that Oregon vs USC game where Barner had like 350 yards and 5 tds and people told me it was just the system and he looked slow. lol

And like rayzor said, Barner is gonna be a chess piece. I don't think he can pass block very well yet.

4 people like this

Posted · Report post

Barring something unforeseen, Stew will be available game one. I think the team is just going through due diligence, and taking their time ala Beason because there's no reason to rush him back.