Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ruff's 7-28 Camp Observations

52 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Has there been a camp update yet where someone doesn't ask about Gettis?

Posted · Report post

Gettis is a player who has great potential, but hasn't lived up to it due to injuries. This is his last camp to see if he's got what it takes. It won't stop and for good reason.

Posted · Report post

Barner is going to be a weapon........at no time should he be blocking.

He won't be there to fool a defense but to put it under stress.

Someone on D is going to have to cover him in the open field.........good luck.

He is our "scat-back"  the coaches have been looking for.

Posted · Report post

Barner is going to be a weapon........at no time should he be blocking.

He is our "scat-back" the coaches have been looking for.

If he is going to be in shotgun spread sets....he absolutely has to be able to block if called upon.

Unless you just expect us to run a draw every play he is in or a zone read.

Can't have someone who can't block be called to block an overloaded blitz with an audible. Sproles....while tiny....doesn't suck at pass protection

Posted · Report post

If he is going to be in shotgun spread sets....he absolutely has to be able to block if called upon.

Unless you just expect us to run a draw every play he is in or a zone read.

Can't have someone who can't block be called to block an overloaded blitz with an audible.

Barner is going to be called into shotgun formations, but he's going to be used in screen passes. In fact, there was a nice little screen pass to DWill that went just like that today.

Also, I expect him to line up as a receiver in a 5 wide set, coming out of the backfield, as well.

Posted · Report post

Barner is going to be called into shotgun formations, but he's going to be used in screen passes. In fact, there was a nice little screen pass to DWill that went just like that today.

Also, I expect him to line up as a receiver in a 5 wide set, coming out of the backfield, as well.

But again, to be on the field for those type plays....they still have to trust he can sufficiently pass protect if need be to routinely see the field.

Darren Sproles is basically what you want him to be....Sproles wouldn't see the field as much if he couldn't pass protect if need be. Sproles can. Barner will have to prove he can step up and pass protect to be a routine fixture as a a Sproles type weapon.

I wouldn't expect much 5 wide....that isn't the Norv tree or Shula way.

Posted · Report post

But again, to be on the field for those type plays....they still have to trust he can sufficiently pass protect if need be to routinely see the field.

Darren Sproles is basically what you want him to be....Sproles wouldn't see the field as much if he couldn't pass protect if need be. Sproles can. Barner will have to prove he can step up and pass protect to be a routine fixture as a a Sproles type weapon.

I wouldn't expect much 5 wide....that isn't the Norv tree or Shula way.

there are ways to get around his lack of blocking that doesn't immediately give the defense a clue about what he is doing or what we are doing.

Posted · Report post

Nice job, Ruff.

Posted · Report post

Gettis has that intriguing combo if size and speed. Given his pretty solid rookie season, he has the physical skills to be very good.

That combo can't be taught and I believe everyone just hopes he can out us together.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Great writeup man, thanks.

Sent from my HTC One using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Posted · Report post

Love it... Very much appreciated Ruff

Posted · Report post

I remember when I posted that Oregon vs USC game where Barner had like 350 yards and 5 tds and people told me it was just the system and he looked slow. lol

And like rayzor said, Barner is gonna be a chess piece. I don't think he can pass block very well yet.

He's not going to break very many tackles, but he's damned sure a break-away threat.