Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KendrickPanther

Barnwell Goes After Beason and Johnsons Contracts

40 posts in this topic

The beason deal backfired in a big way, but then again, when haven't we ended up getting burned signing franchise linebackers to enormous extensions?

1 person likes this

If we let CJ walk and he went to Atlanta, they wouldn't have had such a joke of a defense and may have won a Super Bowl in the last couple years. So overpaying him was worth that not happening IMO because fug the Falcons.

3 people like this

Johnson is a work horse defensive end who's good against the run and pass and is good for 10 sacks a year. He's worth the contract. Besides every huge contract gets restructured a couple years down the road. He also stays healthy and doesn't slack ass only to rack up a bunch of sacks against crap teams like that one guy in Chicago.

And disappear in the playoffs.

Position aside, Johnson is a top 10-15 defensive player in the entire NFL. And arguably the most underrated. CJ is an absolute monster. If his jersey said Cowboys or Patriots he would be compared to guys like Reggie White weekly on ESPN.

Also, the hate for Peppers on this board is laughable. He is a first ballot HOFer.

3 people like this

Bill Barnwell has a well documented hatred for Marty Hurney. The fact that he is still talking about this is kind of sad 

How many different ways can the world say, "Hurney was an idiot?"

How many different ways can the world say, "Hurney was an idiot?"

I agree with everyone.  We didn't have much of a choice with Johnson.  In hindsight I'd do it again.  We could not let him go to Atlanta and as everyone has seen he's not been too far off being worth that whole contract instead of being worth 85% of it.

The Beason one I do question just because I remember him too no practicing before he got the extension.  I know we'll never know but I wonder what the team knew about his health when he signed that deal.

Did we pay top dollar for CJ, sure did. He has however attempted to live up to that contract and not flake out on us.

First guys to sign in FA get paid and he was one of those. The price for DE's seems to have dropped this year but CJ is more of a complete end than those guys I believe.

Beason, we should have been more prudent with and should have taken a wait and see approach with regards to his health. We were guilty of being loyal to a multiple pro bowler, not the worst sin in the world but not the smartest decision either.

We needed a new GM that wasn't so attached to the "old" contracts. I shudder to think the situation we'd be looking at today if Marty was still in charge.

CJ has flat out said before that he was going to go to Atlanta for significantly less money until Hurney basically gave him a blank check. If he would have left it would have filled one of Atlanta's only weaknesses and left us with another gaping hole. Anyone who says CJ isn't worth it isn't very educated on the subject.