39 replies to this topic

#16 Seltzer

Seltzer

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • LocationLKN

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:43 PM

A 2-14 team overpaying to resign their best defensive player is what they had to do.  CJ has been dominant at times, and above all else, very consistent.  He would have made the Pro Bowl the last 2 years in a bigger market.

It's hard to properly reflect on someone's tenure until they're gone for a while, but the longer Hurney is away, the better some of his drafting seems, and the worse the extensions seem.

The Delhomme/ 2009 keeping the band together contracts never really bothered me b/c they were dumped in 2010.  Although in retrospect it is fair to say the team did not do everything they could have to put the most competitive team on the field that year.  But with Fox, the lockout, etc., it was definitely a year to forget.

I understand JJR wanting to open his pocketbooks in 2011 to make a point, and Hurney was ready to spend.  With underused, at least Williams & Stewart's production has still been there.  The ROI on Beason is as bad as a contract can get.  I love #52, but any criticism about that deal is justified, at least as of today.

#17 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,342 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:46 PM

Atlanta was very legitimately going after Johnson. He lives in atlanta, went to UGA, and lots of people here assumed it was a done deal.

Then hurney came down and made it raaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiinn

We probably did overpay Johnson by $2M or so a season.  But, at the time it was either that or watch him walk.

#18 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,455 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:53 PM

Atlanta was very legitimately going after Johnson. He lives in atlanta, went to UGA, and lots of people here assumed it was a done deal.

Then hurney came down and made it raaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiinn

Pretty much.

His deal was not only for his future pointing up for all of his career here, it was also to keep from having to see him beat the dog poo out of Bell twice a season for the past 3 years.

CJ is worth that deal, he's arguably better than Hardy.

#19 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,455 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:54 PM

D-Will was a bad deal.

The Kicker that shall not be Named was a bad deal.

Signing a UNHEALTHY Beason was a bad deal.

CJ, Olsen, Kalil were not bad deals.

#20 OneBadCat

OneBadCat

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:59 PM

Johnson is a work horse defensive end who's good against the run and pass and is good for 10 sacks a year. He's worth the contract. Besides every huge contract gets restructured a couple years down the road. He also stays healthy and doesn't slack ass only to rack up a bunch of sacks against crap teams like that one guy in Chicago.

#21 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:13 PM

The beason deal backfired in a big way, but then again, when haven't we ended up getting burned signing franchise linebackers to enormous extensions?

#22 Montsta

Montsta

Rest In Peace

• HUDDLER
  • 6,610 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:21 PM

If we let CJ walk and he went to Atlanta, they wouldn't have had such a joke of a defense and may have won a Super Bowl in the last couple years. So overpaying him was worth that not happening IMO because fug the Falcons.

#23 pepaw

pepaw

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:40 PM

Johnson is a work horse defensive end who's good against the run and pass and is good for 10 sacks a year. He's worth the contract. Besides every huge contract gets restructured a couple years down the road. He also stays healthy and doesn't slack ass only to rack up a bunch of sacks against crap teams like that one guy in Chicago.

And disappear in the playoffs.

#24 Guest_Spider Monkey_*

Guest_Spider Monkey_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:53 PM

Position aside, Johnson is a top 10-15 defensive player in the entire NFL. And arguably the most underrated. CJ is an absolute monster. If his jersey said Cowboys or Patriots he would be compared to guys like Reggie White weekly on ESPN.

Also, the hate for Peppers on this board is laughable. He is a first ballot HOFer.

#25 SOJA

SOJA

Official Panthers Fan

• HUDDLER
  • 9,352 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:03 PM

Bill Barnwell has a well documented hatred for Marty Hurney. The fact that he is still talking about this is kind of sad 

#26 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 6,858 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:15 PM

How many different ways can the world say, "Hurney was an idiot?"

#27 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 6,858 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:15 PM

How many different ways can the world say, "Hurney was an idiot?"

#28 Fan01

Fan01

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:34 PM

I agree with everyone.  We didn't have much of a choice with Johnson.  In hindsight I'd do it again.  We could not let him go to Atlanta and as everyone has seen he's not been too far off being worth that whole contract instead of being worth 85% of it.

The Beason one I do question just because I remember him too no practicing before he got the extension.  I know we'll never know but I wonder what the team knew about his health when he signed that deal.

#29 CelticCat

CelticCat

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:03 PM

Did we pay top dollar for CJ, sure did. He has however attempted to live up to that contract and not flake out on us.

First guys to sign in FA get paid and he was one of those. The price for DE's seems to have dropped this year but CJ is more of a complete end than those guys I believe.

Beason, we should have been more prudent with and should have taken a wait and see approach with regards to his health. We were guilty of being loyal to a multiple pro bowler, not the worst sin in the world but not the smartest decision either.

We needed a new GM that wasn't so attached to the "old" contracts. I shudder to think the situation we'd be looking at today if Marty was still in charge.

#30 CCS

CCS

Glutton for heart break and punishment

• HUDDLER
  • 3,332 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:59 PM

CJ has flat out said before that he was going to go to Atlanta for significantly less money until Hurney basically gave him a blank check. If he would have left it would have filled one of Atlanta's only weaknesses and left us with another gaping hole. Anyone who says CJ isn't worth it isn't very educated on the subject.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.