192 replies to this topic

#1 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• ALL-PRO
  • 12,523 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:20 PM

http://www.bloomberg...html?cmpid=yhoo

Thousands of fast-food workers from restaurants such as McDonald’s Corp. (MCD) and Wendy’s Co. (WEN) walked off the job beginning today, calling for $15-an-hour pay.

Employees of fast-food eateries are striking in New York City, Chicago, St. Louis, Detroit, Milwaukee, Kansas City, Missouri, and Flint, Michigan, this week, organizers said in an e-mailed statement. The workers, who also are demanding the right to form a union without retaliation, are organized by groups such as New York Communities for Change, Jobs with Justice and Action Now. The Service Employees International Union is providing money to the campaigns and helping to organize the strikes.

If you want to make $15 a hour get a job that requires some skill.  I know people working for less than $15 and they have peoples lives in their hands.

#2 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,104 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:29 PM

Just so long as everyone else gets a proportionately equal bump.  I wouldn't mind almost doubling my salary...

#3 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,428 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:31 PM

Sure.  Significant wage increases across the board are 30 years overdue.

Wages for the top percent have quadrupled since 1979, yet wages for everyone else have stayed about the same.

Did you guys know that purchasing power for minimum wage in the 50's would be the equivalent of about 11.00/hr today?  Not surprisingly the 50's was one of our greatest economic growth periods.

15 might be a little high for fast food chains, but my guess is it is a negotiating starting point.

#4 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 16,886 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:34 PM

that seems steep given that's about what a lot of liberal arts college grads make when they hit their respective job markets

#5 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,779 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:37 PM

$15 an hour for fast food workers will mean $15 for a combo meal.

#6 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,779 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:39 PM

Flipping burgers should not net you a $30k+ salary.

Want more.....stay in school and get an education.  Or, go to a tech school and develop a marketable skill.

An NO....beaing able to ask if you want fries with that does NOT constitute a marketable skill.

#7 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 14,428 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:41 PM

Then people will stop eating fast food combo meals and they will go out of business. I doubt they would want that to happen.

#8 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,785 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:43 PM

$15 an hour for fast food workers will mean $15 for a combo meal.

I may finally stop eating at bojangles.

Naaah

#9 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 14,428 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:43 PM

If you pay lower wage employees more it will force other employers to pay you market value for your skills. Raising low skill wages will increase wages of skilled workers.

#10 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,779 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:44 PM

I may finally stop eating at bojangles.

Naaah

Hell no.

Bojangles is worth every penny.  I swear they sprinkle their chicken with crack....it is damn near addictive.

#11 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,440 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:44 PM

Sure.  Significant wage increases across the board are 30 years overdue.

Wages for the top percent have quadrupled since 1979, yet wages for everyone else have stayed about the same.

Did you guys know that purchasing power for minimum wage in the 50's would be the equivalent of about 11.00/hr today?  Not surprisingly the 50's was one of our greatest economic growth periods.

15 might be a little high for fast food chains, but my guess is it is a negotiating starting point.

I would have said $10.

I actually cannot believe people get paid less than that. I have never in my life made single digits per hour and I started working when I was 16...so it isn't like I waited until after college to start working.

I don't know how they do it.

#12 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 16,886 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:45 PM

they'd go out of business no matter what.

fast food is a pyramid scheme of franchising and profit sharing.

Cheap, high volume labor and cheap, high volume product are at the bottom holding the entire system up.

#13 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,779 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:46 PM

If you pay lower wage employees more it will force other employers to pay you market value for your skills. Raising low skill wages will increase wages of skilled workers.

I understand that....it will cause a significant wage increase across the board.  Which will in turn cause higher prices on everything.

Then, everyone is back to the same purchasing power position....only with higher inflation in this country.  Thus making US made products less attractive in the global market.

#14 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 14,428 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:47 PM

And although it might hurt some employment it will encourage people to look at certain lower level jobs for employment because of better wages. Making it more worth while.

#15 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,779 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:52 PM

And although it might hurt some employment it will encourage people to look at certain lower level jobs for employment because of better wages. Making it more worth while.

Not sure I am following you.

Do you mean that raising the wages on the low level jobs may incent people on welfare to look at those jobs?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com