Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So is it clear we need oline help?

45 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

A few days into.mini camp, no games played; and it's already doomsday.

Posted · Report post

Not nessecarily doomsday, but ill deff be holding my breath every time Cam drops back the first couple weeks.....

Posted · Report post

Noooo. It's facing the reality that there has been no personnel change on the line since last season to upgrade a position that has such a glaring need. This could be recognized before the 1st whistle blew for training camp.

Posted · Report post

My experience is that D always dominate O early in TC. If they weren't I would be worried. It takes a week or 2 for a Oline to Gel so let's not panic yet.

Posted · Report post

Noooo. It's facing the reality that there has been no personnel change on the line since last season to upgrade a position that has such a glaring need. This could be recognized before the 1st whistle blew for training camp.

reality was there weren't any real opportunities to uograde positions.
before the draft, we simply didn't have the money.
The draft went in a way that no upgrades fell to us.

After the draft, it's arguable at best.
The panthers have to balance the future cap along with the the chance someone still available is even an upgrade.

Cry all ya want, but the panthers have done what they can.

We'll see if someone worth while comes available, or by trade. I'm sure our GM is more aware of the situation.

Posted · Report post

Bell will do ok in the run game which is our emphasis this year. In the passing game he gets abused by star DEs. The real question is how many of those will we face and can we gameplan for it? My biggest concern is just the depth. None of our reserves have a name. None of them are veterans.

Posted · Report post

On paper I clearly see them needing help. I've felt that way the whole time. In reality offensive lines as a rule lag behind the defense in camp. It's been what? 3 days? I don't see any help coming for the next few weeks until the cut down dates.

Posted · Report post

Having played offensive line on a college level i understand the that the D-Line most always has the advantage early! Ive been a part of some dominant olines in college that were made to look silly by the d in the first couple practices on every level! Having said that im simply not happy with our right side at all! Going back watching film from last year i saw Bell get not only abused by speed but also dominated in the bull rush, which simply cant happen this year with some of the D-Lines on our schedule.....i love Gettleman but i dont understand why we arent going after someone now at the RG spot NOW, ecspecially with the recent cap space we've cleared up! Playing Oline is about being a unit and meshing together and creating chemistry! you have to know the man next to you's tendencies, where he needs help and where he can hold his own! The earlier they bring in someone the better! As stated before as the OLine goes so does the Team and if we want to make a deep run this year its on the big boys upfront

The player's we'd want to sign, don't want to sign yet. They're waiting to see what happening in camp in case it drives up the price.

Gettleman has shown he doesn't want to overpay players especially players at a relatively easy to fill position (RG). I have faith in Gettleman's ability to evaluate talent and to bring someone in once the RG pool is more understood (based upon who gets cut during camp) and not overpay.

Posted · Report post

So, to sum it up. Panic, but don't panic.

Posted · Report post

need to start protecting cam better......most top qbs have top olines.

Posted · Report post

Keep in mind at this point anyone we get will just be seviceable at best. So it comes down to the other side of the equation.

Scheme and coaching matter a lot in the NFL. Every team has personnel deficits they have to deal with. It's a question of whole the coaching staff maximizes the available talent.

This is something RR does really well on the defensive side. So it's a question as to whether Shula can.

Posted · Report post

Keep in mind at this point anyone we get will just be seviceable at best. So it comes down to the other side of the equation.

I don't agree.

I think either Wharton or Moore would be a major upgrade and more than "servicable".

1 person likes this