Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My camp thoughts after today. Expect a conservative, run offense.

77 posts in this topic

Posted

Our offense will pout up points.

Lol at anybody that thinks otherwuse.

Posted

Why do people think ball control means running the ball?  Ask Tom Brady if his offense is a ball control offense and he will tell you of course.  The whole point of the game is to keep the ball as long as possible which keeps it out of the opponent's hands and score more points then they do.  You control the ball by any means possible on offense and when on defense try and get it back as soon as possible.  Ball control is both offensive and defensive. You balance your offense so you can run and pass depending on what the defense is giving you and what you do best. The whole "this is a passing league" is really not as prevalent as some would have you think. Even teams like New England who everyone says passes the ball all the time actually ran the ball over 500 times in 2012 for over 2000 yards. They averaged 136 yards per game which was good for 7th on the list.  By comparison we were 9th at 130 yards per game.

We will be a dynamic offense this year and will have more chances to score due to the defense creating turnovers. We will run the ball more.  Hopefully a lot in the fourth quarter as we milk the clock with a big lead.

Posted

Well fug, lets bring in Fox.

Posted

The one thing I can say about the offensive line is that if anything they should improve from last years line.  Consider that all the same starters are back except that Amini and Bell should have improved somewhat (some saying Amini has vastly improved).  Even with Hangman at center and Byers at guard last season we still were a few plays away from a 9 or 10 win season.  Its not great but I doubt that it could be worse...right?  

The one big change is that the defensive line has improved TREMENDOUSLY with Star, Dwan, Short...not to mention Luke coming into his own and more depth at linebacker.

In fact besides the offensive line I feel like we have improved at every position from last year...maybe just depth but improved is the key word.  Ginn and Hixon are much better that Pilares and Murphy.  Barnburner makes the running backs better.  Brandon Williams could be an improvement over Barnidge.  Linebackers are deeper, Safety depth is better, and the corners are deep, albeit no one really is a number 1 corner.

Gettlemen has us in pretty good shape and I would imagine that he adds a veteran offensive linemen before the season starts.

Posted

Muy

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Posted

I look at last year; and can't help but see it was injuries along the line that was the problem. I couldn't even tell you how many different starting 5 we had across the oline.

They perfirmed their best at the end of the season. Without our probowl center. With a backup to our backups at right guard, AND right tackle.

We got a good bunch of guys.

Staying healthy, and allowing a group of guys to gel together us going to make most fans eat their words.

Posted

If this offense looks like Foxball....Gettlemen, Rivera and Shula should all be fired.

We have Cam. You don't play Foxball with that type weapon.

We have a spotty OL, an old RB , an injury plagued RB, a rookie RB, and a FB. Even if your QB sucks you would need a great D front to back to attempt to be a legit contender playing Foxball with that. Our best player this year in the secondary could easily be the Raider reject....bc he walked into such a weak cast.

We may be focusing on these plays because they weren't things we could do well last year (quick developing routes, running up the middle).  Maybe we figure we are already good at deep passes and read options.

Posted

Well fug, lets bring in Fox.

I am in no way a hard core Rivera hater, but last year Fox+Cam would've had us in the playoffs.

Posted

Why do people think ball control means running the ball?  Ask Tom Brady if his offense is a ball control offense and he will tell you of course.  The whole point of the game is to keep the ball as long as possible which keeps it out of the opponent's hands and score more points then they do.  You control the ball by any means possible on offense and when on defense try and get it back as soon as possible.  Ball control is both offensive and defensive. You balance your offense so you can run and pass depending on what the defense is giving you and what you do best. The whole "this is a passing league" is really not as prevalent as some would have you think. Even teams like New England who everyone says passes the ball all the time actually ran the ball over 500 times in 2012 for over 2000 yards. They averaged 136 yards per game which was good for 7th on the list.  By comparison we were 9th at 130 yards per game.

We will be a dynamic offense this year and will have more chances to score due to the defense creating turnovers. We will run the ball more.  Hopefully a lot in the fourth quarter as we milk the clock with a big lead.

Of course Brady would say yes. The Patriots were 2nd in the league in rushing attempts per game last season. Pretty much all the best teams were in the top half of the league in rushing attempts last year.

Posted

I have not read the rest of the posts, but I got to page 2 and nobody said this:  Cam Newton is a weapon.  Defenses are more afraid of him when he drops back to pass than when he hands off.

The first week of practice should be about the basics.  I think it is premature to suggest that we are reverting back to Foxball because we ran power, dive, and trap at practice.

I appreciate your thoughts--seriously.  I love knowing what others, especially those who go to Spartanburg, think.  I think we will run more effectively, but not more.  I think being more effective causes the defense to respect the run and makes play action better. 

Barner, Tolbert, and DWill (not including Stewart yet) have different sklll sets.  This should be a focus early on.   Right now they are adjusting their off season focus because their #1 back, Stew , is indefinitie.  In addition, they did not know what they had in Barner.  Finally, they have said they plan on using Tolbert more effectively.  This is the core of the offense, the foundation.  It only makes sense to work on it first. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Of course Brady would say yes. The Patriots were 2nd in the league in rushing attempts per game last season. Pretty much all the best teams were in the top half of the league in rushing attempts last year.

My point exactly.  The whole notion that we don't need to run the ball effectively  and only concentrate on the passing game is counter to what all good teams are doing. You have to be able to run and pass equally well.  More importantly you have to be able to run when the other team knows that is what you are going to do like near the goal line or on third and short.

Some folks here apparently don't get it and still think we don't need a great run game because everything is geared only for passing and running the ball is passe.

Posted

I have not read the rest of the posts, but I got to page 2 and nobody said this:  Cam Newton is a weapon.  Defenses are more afraid of him when he drops back to pass than when he hands off.

The first week of practice should be about the basics.  I think it is premature to suggest that we are reverting back to Foxball because we ran power, dive, and trap at practice.

I appreciate your thoughts--seriously.  I love knowing what others, especially those who go to Spartanburg, think.  I think we will run more effectively, but not more.  I think being more effective causes the defense to respect the run and makes play action better. 

Barner, Tolbert, and DWill (not including Stewart yet) have different sklll sets.  This should be a focus early on.   Right now they are adjusting their off season focus because their #1 back, Stew , is indefinitie.  In addition, they did not know what they had in Barner.  Finally, they have said they plan on using Tolbert more effectively.  This is the core of the offense, the foundation.  It only makes sense to work on it first. 

You are right, they will be installing different parts of the offense during training camp so each day will bring different emphases.

I suspect teams are most worried when Newton drops to pass because he can throw the ball or scramble for yards on a broken play. Even when he is in passing mode he is significant weapon running the ball.