150 replies to this topic

#16 jayflip

jayflip

vaya con dios

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,737 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:37 PM

Interesting that he said yes after a long pause. Probably meaningless, but I hope we take a giant leap forward this year in terms if wins, so I don't have to spend an offseason listening to a bunch of "rabble rabble derp is Gettleman gonna draft his own franchise QB derp rabble". I really, really don't want to listen to that poo for an entire offseason.

The long pause was probably Gettleman looking at a winded Joe Person and trying not to strangle him upon hearing his voice.

#17 ickmule

ickmule

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • LocationNorth Myrtle Beach

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:38 PM

Not sure how to take his comments. Since we didn't see his body language or facial expressions its hard to tell. Everyone will read into it what they will.

#18 chknwing

chknwing

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,672 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:39 PM

Cam to Gettlemen, "I can't win lying on my back"

#19 Seltzer

Seltzer

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • LocationLKN

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:53 PM

Cam needs to produce wins one way or the other if he wants a big pay day -

The truth right here.  QB's sign up to get more praise than justified & more blame than warranted.  They also have a current market value pushing $20M for the franchise variety.

As talented as Cam is (and Gettleman certainly knows it), he doesn't want to stake his reputation giving Cam that kind of contract is the wins aren't there.  Simple as that.  How can he sell JJR & the fan base on that?

Signing a QB to a $100M deal is the biggest deal a GM will do.  Getting it wrong will get you fired and leave a permanent scar on your legacy. 

I like Gettleman's directness.  I think this is the crux of what he means

#20 Seltzer

Seltzer

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • LocationLKN

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:56 PM

There is nothing Gettleman (& JJR for that matter) want more than to sign Cam to a big deal.  But it is a defining move, and it's hard to do regardless of how much you like the individual or how much talent you think he has if the wins aren't there.

And Cam's a big boy.  He knows this is part of the deal.

#21 SOJA

SOJA

Official Panthers Fan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,539 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:08 PM

uh yea because if we don't win Gettleman gets fired

#22 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• ALL-PRO
  • 8,734 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:11 PM

I think this more motivation than anything.

Gettleman is not stupid to think it is all on Cam. If he thought that he would have drafted wide receivers early.

#23 FootballMaestro

FootballMaestro

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,804 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:13 PM

Sounds like he (Gettleman) is talking about the whole team, including his job as GM, to me. Shrugs. 

#24 Cyberjag

Cyberjag

• HUDDLER
  • 3,642 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:17 PM

If we don't win, then Rivera will be replaced, not Cam.  If the next coach can't win with Cam, then maybe Gettleman will start looking for a new QB.  Assuming he's still around if that happens, that is.

#25 micnificent28

micnificent28

• HUDDLER
  • 3,026 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:21 PM

How about drafting the man a legit NFL WR outside of a 5'9 steve smith before the doutful pause. 

#26 AKPantherFan

AKPantherFan

Cam Can....Can you???

• HUDDLER
  • 4,936 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:24 PM

If you read the full article i think some folks are not getting the context of the conversation. DG said Cam has the best stats of any QB in his 1st two years ever and everyone else is talking about the other young QB's, then DG said Cam has to win more games to get that stink off of him.

Paraphrased....

#27 OchoNueve

OchoNueve

for those of you that don't habla espanol...

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:25 PM

Winning is a team stat....not a QB stat.

Gettlemen loses points on this one with me. You gonna talk about wins and losses as the front office....you don't just put your QB out there in the talk. Not one who has had the team on back making is competitive

Couldn't have said it better.  I may have missed the context with which G-Man made the statement, but it appeared as if he was indicating that Cam is solely responsible for the teams Wins & Losses.

In basketball, there are only 5 players on the court playing both sides (offense & defense), where one person can actually make a significant difference impacting the game.  In football you have 11 guys only playing one way (either offense or defense or special teams) who can impact the game in various ways.  To place the responsibility of wins and losses solely on the QB is irresponsible and irrational.

I hope I misunderstood the context with which he said this and it was an organizational reference and not directed at Cam.

#28 AKPantherFan

AKPantherFan

Cam Can....Can you???

• HUDDLER
  • 4,936 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:29 PM

Gettleman was hired in January to replace Marty Hurney, who drafted Newton with the first overall pick in 2011. Newton has thrown for more yards than any quarterback in his first two NFL seasons, but has yet to lead the Panthers to a winning season.

“Cam has had the best two years of any rookie quarterback in NFL history. And everybody talks about the other young (quarterbacks),” Gettleman said Tuesday. “What he's done has been completely lost in the sauce because of the elephant in the room – the 13-19 record.”

Gettleman was asked whether Newton was the quarterback to build around.

After a pregnant, seven-second pause, Gettleman said; “Yes, he is. But now it's time to win.”

http://blogs.charlot...-gettleman.html

#29 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 13,433 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:31 PM

If you read the full article i think some folks are not getting the context of the conversation. DG said Cam has the best stats of any QB in his 1st two years ever and everyone else is talking about the other young QB's, then DG said Cam has to win more games to get that stink off of him.

Paraphrased....

Do you have a link to the article? That could clear up quite a bit in this thread.

Edit: Nevermind, lol.

#30 SpeedOFLight

SpeedOFLight

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
  • LocationGreensboro NC

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:33 PM

At the end of the day, it is all about wins. Listening to the players so far, they understand the sense of urgency. It is going to take all of the plays being accountable about their actions on the field. Stats really don't mean that much if we are not getting the wins. All the greats had to learn that. This is still a team game. We lose as a team and win as a team. Nothing more, nothing less. I think we can all share the same thoughts that we are tired of saying, "wait until next year". The time to win is now. Not the future. That being said, I'm excited about this time this year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com