PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,743 posts
  • LocationGreensboro

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:43 PM

good.

if the reports and transcripts are any indication this club has a level of urgency and fire i haven't detected since 2008.

#47 beastson

beastson

Cam

• HUDDLER
  • 8,805 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:44 PM

Wasn't Eli first 2 years he played half losses-half wins

#48 micnificent28

micnificent28

• HUDDLER
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:45 PM

I think there is a real possibility that "whether Cam is the franchise QB" might be in question if he does not lead us to victories this year......notice I said lead us and not that wins are solely on him.

However, wins are what counts. There are very few QB's that are paid franchise dollars that are not winning (except for Stafford....but it is the Lions).

I am not sure what kind of contract he will be given if we go sub .500 again.

I've never seen a franchise draft a potential franchise qb and not surround him with weapons or use a decent pick on a skilled position after him. This is kind of embarrassing to even be discussing this. You want him to lead you to victiory wiyh him being 90% of the offense? Even Minnesota went out and got help for ponder buffalo with EJ. All of who are inferior to cam.

If I were cam I would tell gettleman wr first Rd next year or you can keep your contract.

#49 beastson

beastson

Cam

• HUDDLER
  • 8,805 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:47 PM

You know how many non-Panthers fans in the world of Cam hate that says he'll be a beast with San Fran? All I do is just shake my head

#50 CPcavedweller

CPcavedweller

• HUDDLER
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:56 PM

Wasn't last year the time to win? How about 2011? How about 2009? Every game, every season, is the time to win.

The elephant in the room left with Marty Hurney and his check writing pen.

#51 CPcavedweller

CPcavedweller

• HUDDLER
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:01 PM

In my opinion this is taken out of context, he said "now it's time to win". Not, "now is the time to win". In my opinion they imply two different thing and I almost took his statement as being optimistic versus concerned and thinking this might go the Josh Freeman route. I think he's excited by what he's seen and what has been done in the off season and is optimistic about what we can accomplish this season.

Read into it how you will but NFL is using the words to establish what they have been pushing, "cam isn't good enough to win." This is not it and I know you all have better reading comprehension skills than that. Gettlemans pause was to give him a "really, bro?" Kind of look.

#52 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,029 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:01 PM

I've never seen a franchise draft a potential franchise qb and not surround him with weapons or use a decent pick on a skilled position after him. This is kind of embarrassing to even be discussing this. You want him to lead you to victiory wiyh him being 90% of the offense? Even Minnesota went out and got help for ponder buffalo with EJ. All of who are inferior to cam.

If I were cam I would tell gettleman wr first Rd next year or you can keep your contract.

Usually you get the QB and then the pieces.

This franchise already had one of the best RB groups in the NFL and an elite WR.....and then they added a top flight TE in Olsen.  Granted, I would like to see another WR brought in to push and replace Smitty.  But to say this team does not have offensive weapons outside of Cam is inaccurate.

Again, most highly picked QB's go to teams that don't have some of the pieces.

Now....I am NOT saying that we should not and will not offer Cam a mega deal.  Only that without wins this season, it MIGHT be what we see.

#53 CPcavedweller

CPcavedweller

• HUDDLER
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:03 PM

He also has a 5th year option. Your all so worried about him leaving like this is his contract year and in a way it is. Is it worth the stress of discussing before this season is even over when he has a potential three full 16 game schedules left on this contract, no.

#54 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,029 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:05 PM

He also has a 5th year option. Your all so worried about him leaving like this is his contract year and in a way it is. Is it worth the stress of discussing before this season is even over when he has a potential three full 16 game schedules left on this contract, no.

5th year option (I believe) would pay him the avg salary of the 3 or 4 top earners at QB in the NFL.  Would be a HUGE cap hit....basically like franchising him.

#55 Argus Plexus

Argus Plexus

Super Kami Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 5,665 posts
  • LocationCape Fear Area

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:06 PM

Right to a point. Keep in mind football is a team sport, Mr. Gett Dawg.

#56 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,584 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:06 PM

The thing I like the most is that Gettleman doesn't play politics and says what he thinks.

I think that Cam understands that it's time to win.

#57 CPcavedweller

CPcavedweller

• HUDDLER
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:12 PM

5th year option (I believe) would pay him the avg salary of the 3 or 4 top earners at QB in the NFL. Would be a HUGE cap hit....basically like franchising him.

Either way we keep him. The big deal is we needed drafts to get guys to win with. The fact of the matter is Hurney fugged the 2010 draft outside of Lafell and 2011 outside of Cam. We build in the draft and you must know we will not rid our team of our best player simply because the team doesn't win. We will try everything possible. Lions go 4-12 and megatron breaks Jerry rice's record, Matt stafford gets a huge extension.

The question isn't if we will resign cam, it's how much will he EARN. Fact of the matter is he is the heart and soul of the team and we as fans must read between the lines of how the media reports quotes and look into the quotes themselves.

#58 micnificent28

micnificent28

• HUDDLER
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:14 PM

Usually you get the QB and then the pieces.

This franchise already had one of the best RB groups in the NFL and an elite WR.....and then they added a top flight TE in Olsen.  Granted, I would like to see another WR brought in to push and replace Smitty.  But to say this team does not have offensive weapons outside of Cam is inaccurate.

Again, most highly picked QB's go to teams that don't have some of the pieces.

Now....I am NOT saying that we should not and will not offer Cam a mega deal.  Only that without wins this season, it MIGHT be what we see.

I Think the days of smittie being elite are behind him. Granted i would still say he's top 12 but, 1-7 he is not. The fact that he isn't much of a threat in the redzone(his touchdown production) and is only 5'9 only further makes that apparent.  Make no mistake about it we aren't to far from having the worst wr core in the NFL. Olsen was a step in the right direction but even he isn't in the elite TE category. Cam has a tendency to over throw his targets high. I would love a 6'4 redzone target to make some of those passes completions.

#59 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,029 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:23 PM

I Think the days of smittie being elite are behind him. Granted i would still say he's top 12 but, 1-7 he is not. The fact that he isn't much of a threat in the redzone(his touchdown production) and is only 5'9 only further makes that apparent.  Make no mistake about it we aren't to far from having the worst wr core in the NFL. Olsen was a step in the right direction but even he isn't in the elite TE category. Cam has a tendency to over throw his targets high. I would love a 6'4 redzone target to make some of those passes completions.

I agree with you on many points.  And, I think next year's draft will be Offense heavy.....the defense was so bad that we had to go heavy there this year.

But, I still think this team has more than enough offensive weapons to be a top 10 offense.

#60 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 6,706 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:23 PM

Ok, we all agree with Gettlemen.  However, Mr. Gettlemen, if you are going to put it on his shoulders, he will need a few things from you.----  Like a right side of the offensive line and some WRs not named Smith. 

Thank you for all you have done, but you are not done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.