Photo
- - - - -

Fowler writes about Hardy

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
54 replies to this topic

#49 beastson

beastson

Philly Cheese Steak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:23 AM

Funny you make the comparison because Peppers and Hardy are very different.  Peppers has always been a better athlete than anyone he has ever played against on every level.  He seems unmotivated and bored as a result.  If he had Hardy's work ethic and drive, he would have been the NFL's greatest player-ever.  His size, speed, athleticism is unmatched. 

But the NFL is not about pure athleticism.  It is about desire, determination, and drive. Peppers never needed it, so he doesn't have it.   Hardy has it.  Tom Brady is a terrible excuse for an athlete, but he has it.  JJ Watts has it.  Jake Delhomme had it-while never great, look what he did with "below average."

Give me JJ Watts and Tom Brady any day.  I would take, right now, Greg Hardy over Julius Peppers.

I hear you and you're completely right, yes right now I would take Hardy too

But I highly doubt Hardy highest point in his career > Peppers highest point. Yes while not completely motivated, Hardy is no Peppers

#50 MHS831

MHS831

HUDDLER

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:41 AM

I hear you and you're completely right, yes right now I would take Hardy too

But I highly doubt Hardy highest point in his career > Peppers highest point. Yes while not completely motivated, Hardy is no Peppers

I see that, but I was never a Peppers fan while he was here. I am concerned what a lackluster effort, even if the results are better than average, does to team chemistry.  If I see hardy busting his butt in the offseason, playing Sundays with extreme intensity, I play harder too, because he is my teammate.  It is human nature,

Peppers averages 10 sacks per season (career).  I think that # should be around 15.  He had 12 as a rookie, and has only surpassed that twice in his career.  

Hardy has increased his sack total each year (3, 4, and 11) and is determined to improve that.  Last year, Hardy (due to his high motor) had 61 tackles.  In Peppers' 11-year career, he has only had one season in the 60s (64).  While Peppers has always been a full-time starter, he has averaged (career) 46.5 tackles per season.  Hardy, who spent a good portion of his career as a rotational player--even moving inside to DT in certain situations, has averaged 47 tackles per season. 

I agree that Peppers is by far the better athlete, but Hardy chases every play until the whistle blows.  Give me Greg Hardy any day.

Pretty solid production for a 6th rounder.

#51 KSpan

KSpan

Bow-chicka-wow-wow!

SUPPORTER

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:52 AM

Why? Hardy clearly left his feet and led with his helmet.

Pretty cut and dry.

You're funny.

#52 beastson

beastson

Philly Cheese Steak

HUDDLER

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:24 AM

I see that, but I was never a Peppers fan while he was here. I am concerned what a lackluster effort, even if the results are better than average, does to team chemistry.  If I see hardy busting his butt in the offseason, playing Sundays with extreme intensity, I play harder too, because he is my teammate.  It is human nature,

Peppers averages 10 sacks per season (career).  I think that # should be around 15.  He had 12 as a rookie, and has only surpassed that twice in his career.  

Hardy has increased his sack total each year (3, 4, and 11) and is determined to improve that.  Last year, Hardy (due to his high motor) had 61 tackles.  In Peppers' 11-year career, he has only had one season in the 60s (64).  While Peppers has always been a full-time starter, he has averaged (career) 46.5 tackles per season.  Hardy, who spent a good portion of his career as a rotational player--even moving inside to DT in certain situations, has averaged 47 tackles per season. 

I agree that Peppers is by far the better athlete, but Hardy chases every play until the whistle blows.  Give me Greg Hardy any day.

Pretty solid production for a 6th rounder.

Peppers did more than just tackles and sacks. Interceptions, blocked FG's, TD returns. Just his presence. Peppers was up and down so you defeinitely right about that. He coulda been doing even more than what he did. To me personally it seemed like he went with everybody else. If the team was underperforming, he seemed to go right along with. If the team was fighting and right there, he seemed to do his thing. Along with age and that motor, I wasn't too upset when he left. Johnson I knew would get there from day one, just watching his technique. I knew Hardy had the ability to be where he's at now too as well

#53 MHS831

MHS831

HUDDLER

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:44 AM

To me personally it seemed like he went with everybody else. If the team was underperforming, he seemed to go right along with. If the team was fighting and right there, he seemed to do his thing.

This^^ --Spot on.  But he wanted to paid like a leader.  He had the athleticism to step up, instead he sat back.

And my comment was that I would rather have Hardy than Peppers now.  Hardy is 25, and if you put him beside a 25-year old Peppers, I take Peppers all day.  However, I am not sure that would turn out to be the best decision in the long run, even if you take the $30m+ difference in rookie contracts out of the equation. 

I am not sure  we have ever had more intensity on defense-Hardy, Beason, Davis, Kuechly, Munnerlyn, Norman, Johnson--these guys will rub off on Star, Short, etc. 

#54 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

HUDDLER

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:00 AM

As was MST3K without Joel.

There were some episodes with Mike Nelson that I liked, mostly in his first season or so. After Frank left, then Trace Beaulieu, etc. it just wasn't the same.

But yeah, the Joel Hodgson episodes are the 'real' MST.

#55 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

HUDDLER

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:07 AM

mst3k was fine after joel. most of the head writers stayed on, and they started doing funnier source material after the switch to sci fi.

the joel>mike crowd are retarded gay babies.