Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Things your children may never know about

47 posts in this topic

Posted

Kids these days don't think twice about pirating software, music, movies, or anything else they can download.

I don't think that's just limited to kids haha.

Granted, I do somewhat miss only being able to get music by actually buying the CD, because you'd have to do a little research to make sure you're making the right purchase rather than just downloading it and then deleting it with no charge if you don't like it.

Posted

There was something cool about getting a CD before you could download.  Since you couldn't get a ton of them, it sort of meant more.  But I don't feel bad for the music industry.  They overcharged for years and years for CDs and it finally caught up with them.  15-20$ on some new cds, you kidding me?   People got tired of spending that AND having the album have 1-2 good songs (hence why buying singles is now huge in itunes etc).  Besides, artists hardly make anything off the music itself, it's all about touring and other things.  If they were selling CD's for what they are now (mostly 6-10 bucks) they wouldn't have ran into an issue as fast and big as piracy.  If they would have embraced technology from the get go instead of fighting it, that could have also helped their cause.  They made bad decision after bad decision and it didn't work out.  And there is still the debate that most stuff that is pirated wasn't going to be bought in the first place, so they really aren't "losing" anything.

And no, I doubt VHS will make a come back, why would it?  There is no advantage of it over DVD/Blu-ray whereas vinyl has a better sound than CD or digital hence why it's making a comeback.  

Posted

How to develop patience, since instant gratification is the norm now.

Want a song - click...dload

Want a movie - Netflix, Itunes, Amazon.....click.

News - web/twitter

Need to call someone, kids have their own phones now....don't need to wait on mom to get off the phone. 

Posted

A healthy respect for the value of the creative efforts of others.

Kids these days don't think twice about pirating software, music, movies, or anything else they can download.

Yeah when I was a kid we had to steal them they old analog way.  

Posted

The joy of listening to phone conversations by picking up the other phone ninja style. Also fear of vicious beat down if you got caught.

1 person likes this

Posted

haha. i agree on ninja style with the phone. before caller id it was like Russian roulette because you had absolutely no clue who was on the other line and what it may be about.

phone booths

tube tv's

P.E.

Posted

jiffy-pop.jpg

Posted

The joy of listening to phone conversations by picking up the other phone ninja style. Also fear of vicious beat down if you got caught.

Did that to my brother once when he was about 14 when he was calling a girl he had a major crush on. Couldn't contain my laughter and a beat down occurred. That was the only time I recall getting caught.

1 person likes this

Posted

Was out house hunting the other day and there was a wall mounted telephone complete with the stretched out pigtail handset cord in the kitchen.

Posted

One thing I wont miss is dialup internet though. No phone and internet at the same time was a flawed system!!

Posted

Prank calling your own house on a rotary phone, which was especially useful when one of my sisters was waiting for a boy to call.  Many lulz to be had there