Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What exactly is the point of running a conservative offense?!?

98 posts in this topic

Posted

The run game is usually the foundation.   Play action passes evolve from running plays--not the other way around. 

Spot on.

A good running game will be a huge help at keeping the pressure out of Cam's face.

Posted

Yay let's talk about effective offensive strategies like it's still 1986

Posted

I think we are going to see a smarter offense, not particularly a conservative one.

2 people like this

Posted

If ya wanna win ya gotta run da ball because it sets up the everyone's everything to shine

Posted

If ya wanna win ya gotta run da ball because it sets up the everyone's everything to shine

While its not the dominate focus it once was, I think establishing a running game still matters.

1 person likes this

Posted

Because we don't want to be Atlanta or Indiannapolis i.e. Can't/won't run the ball, out-shoot sub .500 teams and go out in round one in the playoffs. It wears defenses out.

Better question is, how can you argue for a more elaborate offense after watching the past two seasons?

Posted

While its not the dominate focus it once was, I think establishing a running game still matters.

Indeed. Look at what teams led in rushing last year and who made/succeeded in the playoffs.

Posted

run sets up the pass.

pass sets up the run.

you need both...and a lot of it.

and the aim of both HAS to be getting in the end zone, not controlling the clock.

score early and often because you can and should never trust that your D is going to hold off the other teams offense for long. you have to make it easy for them and easier for the win by scoring.

1 person likes this

Posted

Teams like Minnesota and the Jets have run the ball effectively in recent years and it doesn't make Sanchez or Ponder look any less mediocre.

Now, more than ever, the passing game has become its own entity unaffected by how well a team runs. What matters the most is the guy throwing it.

2 people like this

Posted

Wow, full on panic about the offensive philosophy and we've yet to play our first preseason game, much less an actual real game.

And let me warn you, don't panic during the preseason either.  We've played things very close to the vest and fielded a very vanilla offense in the preseason thus far under Rivera.

Posted

Indeed. Look at what teams led in rushing last year and who made/succeeded in the playoffs.

Atlanta literally made it to the NFCC game on 82 yards rushing a game. Baltimore's running game was average at best. Green Bay and New England are not rushing teams and they found some success in the playoffs.

It is no longer a requirement.

Posted

Wow, full on panic about the offensive philosophy and we've yet to play our first preseason game, much less an actual real game.

And let me warn you, don't panic during the preseason either.  We've played things very close to the vest and fielded a very vanilla offense in the preseason thus far under Rivera.

I disagree, pre-season might not show it all but it will show enough.. .especially with this team

Also, if our o-line can open up holes for the run game I'm all for it