Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What exactly is the point of running a conservative offense?!?

98 posts in this topic

Posted

the fact that the year before that they won the superbowl with the 27th ranked run game i guess

Posted

coulda sworn the team they beat that year was crazy about running the ball too...

Posted

Any intelligent football fans should realize that EVERY team strives for balance, but only few can maintain and sustain it. Oddly enough the teams who've remained successful the last several years are mainly teams who have attained that balance, and sustained it. See, HOU, PIT, BAL, SF. Accompanied by league leading defenses those teams have been repeat playoff participants.

The GB's, NO's, and NE's of the world are all fortunate to have what the majority of the other teams lack...a H.O.F. QB behind Center. QB's that good often off-set the imbalance of a pass heavy offensive attack, I would also include the Peyton Manning era Colts in that group as well. 

Posted

the fact that the year before that they won the superbowl with the 27th ranked run game i guess

2003? And you call me outdated? Read the edit on my last post.

Posted

I wouldn't call my opinion outdated. Researched, extracted from coaches' opinions, personnel executives' opinions, anybody who has a clue maybe, definitely not outdated.

Posted

I wouldn't call my opinion outdated. Researched, extracted from coaches' opinions, personnel executives' opinions, anybody who has a clue maybe, definitely not outdated.

ebb and flows.

Defenses are smaller now (hint: Thomas Davis used to be a safety). What's the best way to counter a smaller defense?

Only 1 of the top 13 passers won a playoff game last year.

Posted

Aaron Rodgers

Tom Brady

Matt Ryan

Matt Schaub

1/13 huh

Posted

an QB

Of course he edited it.

Posted

Aaron Rodgers

Tom Brady

Matt Ryan

Matt Schaub

1/13 huh

good job.

But can you answer my question... what's the best way to counter smaller defenses?

Posted

That conservative fox ball u speak of is what got us to our only Super Bowl appareance and damn near won it if it wasnt for kasay.

1 person likes this

Posted

That conservative fox ball u speak of is what got us to our only Super Bowl appareance and damn near won it if it wasnt for kasay.

while that's true on the season, it wasn't foxball that kept us in the game. we scored quickly and often in the fourth quarter. the patriots went conservative. which defense was on the sideline sucking down oxygen when it mattered most?

Posted

Only looking at the style of play of the Super Bowl winning team seems absurd. A better way to look at the league is to look at the trend of the whole group of playoff teams over the years.