Photo
- - - - -

What exactly is the point of running a conservative offense?!?

Best Answer Zod, 31 July 2013 - 04:55 PM

1. Minimize turnovers

2. Maximize time of posession

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#91 googoodan

googoodan

Memberest

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,645 posts
  • LocationBayside

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:33 AM

So what are you saying Belding, you want us to revamp the linebacker position? Who do you want us to draft to spend more picks on in anticipation of this imaginary running game revival? Or maybe we can put Beason and Davis on a bulking program?

sorry, not sure what I said to give you that idea.

Offenses are faster now, to take advantage of pro-passing rules. To keep up, many defenses around the NFL have traded size for speed. Hurney was especially notorious for that. As offenses become more one-dimensional, so do defenses. My implied message is simple: Take advantage of their singular focus.
Not like KC or J'ville, who run because that's basically all they are able to do, but to wear them down.
Remember the Atlanta game where Atlanta only ran like 6 offensive plays in the first half? That's how to properly play a conservative offense.

#92 The Huddler

The Huddler

St. Thomas Aquinas

• HUDDLER
  • 4,476 posts
  • LocationRadford University

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:47 AM

someone please pmmne anyone who follows the movement.    anyone pm mw who will be up

#93 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,717 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:35 AM

I would argue that the offense we ran the second part of the year was decidedly more conservative than the one we ran the first half of the year. He did better in a more conservative offense. Instead of being limited it allowed him to .be more effective particularly as a passer as the running game came together.

Well, Cam didn't do less....he passed and ran more the second half of the season.

I don't think the run game ever came together. . Saints games distort the reality of what was our run game. Last game of the season greatly altered the views of many

#94 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,651 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:41 AM

Well, Cam didn't do less....he passed and ran more the second half of the season.

I don't think the run game ever came together. . Saints games distort the reality of what was our run game. Last game of the season greatly altered the views of many

You are the one who said a conservative offense would hurt. So if we agree that the second half offense was more conservative and most people here would,  and like you said Cam passed and ran more effectively, then you prove my point.

#95 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,717 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:45 AM

You are the one who said a conservative offense would hurt. So if we agree that the second half offense was more conservative and most people here would, and like you said Cam passed and ran more effectively, then you prove my point.

I don't think we were more conservative, run game never game together (not RBs). Less read option than the first 4 games doesn't equal more conservative IMO.

I said Cam simply passed and ran more in the 2nd half. More attempts of both. He did more. . He also was simply better.

#96 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,651 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:27 AM

I don't think we were more conservative, run game never game together (not RBs). Less read option than the first 4 games doesn't equal more conservative IMO.

I said Cam simply passed and ran more in the 2nd half. More attempts of both. He did more. . He also was simply better.

A defintion of conservative is traditional and less risky. Going with what is proven.  How many times has everyone said we ran a more traditional offense in the second half. Plus as Zod defined it, the focus is on maximizing time of possession and reducing turnovers. Look at the stats, in the second half we did both.  So yeah the numbers say we were more conservative.

The problem for you is that you think conservative is not going to let Cam be better and the truth is it already has.  Going to more play action and dumping the ball off opens up the deep passing game which is what Newton does best. I haven't checked but I suspect we had fewer three and outs and better drives which allowed for more overall plays of which everyone benefited including Newton in the second half. 

#97 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,717 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:28 AM

A defintion of conservative is traditional and less risky. Going with what is proven. How many times has everyone said we ran a more traditional offense in the second half. Plus as Zod defined it, the focus is on maximizing time of possession and reducing turnovers. Look at the stats, in the second half we did both. So yeah the numbers say we were more conservative.

The problem for you is that you think conservative is not going to let Cam be better and the truth is it already has. Going to more play action and dumping the ball off opens up the deep passing game which is what Newton does best. I haven't checked but I suspect we had fewer three and outs and better drives which allowed for more overall plays of which everyone benefited including Newton in the second half.

Cam wasnt asked to make less risky throws or run less.

You can argue we operated a higher percentage out of "traditional" packages....but that isn't less risky. I would easily argue asking Cam to line up under C, play action, turn his back to the D, behind our OL..... was every bit if not more risky than operating out of a shotgun with a read seeing everything coming.

We got better for a variety of reason. I wouldn't call it going less conservative. Also, Rivera got LESS conservative in the 2nd half in big moments. He started to learn from his conservative game management in big moments

#98 rainwater

rainwater

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:09 PM

The Panthers were balanced last year.  The problem is the running game outside of Cam was not effective at all.  That is what they are trying to focus on improving this year.  Being able to get a 3rd and 2 without relying on a shotgun QB sneak every time is going to make the Panthers tougher to defend.  It isn't about being "conservative".  It is about being more versatile.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com