Photo
- - - - -

If It Wasn't Clear That We Need Offensive Line Help (OTL Stat)

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#31 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,742 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:08 PM

There is nothing to be an apologist about Cam not being able to audible at the LOS. It IS a factor no matter what excuse you try to use. He did it all through Auburn (which is why he avoided costly turnovers). After all, one of Newton's greatest attributes is his resourcefulness before and after the snap. So I huff at your comment about Cam finally 'turning it on' towards the end of the season because he was 'smarter' and more mature when that is Cam Newton (always has been and always will be). He always takes what the defense gives him. Now did he make mistakes last season, and did he force plays? Yep. What young QB doesn't though?

"Toto, we're not in Alabama anymore."

#32 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• ALL-PRO
  • 10,586 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:11 PM

i'd like to compare those stats to big ben in his prime. obviously cam is more athletic but they are similar in many ways.

#33 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,799 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:14 PM

"Toto, we're not in Alabama anymore."

Newton sort of recreated a portion of that magic during our final six games.

Let Cam be Cam. Unleash him on the battlefield without binding restrictions.

#34 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 17,062 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:17 PM

There is nothing to be an apologist about Cam not being able to audible at the LOS. It IS a factor no matter what excuse you try to use. He did it all through Auburn (which is why he avoided costly turnovers). After all, one of Newton's greatest attributes is his resourcefulness before and after the snap. So I huff at your comment about Cam finally 'turning it on' towards the end of the season because he was 'smarter' and more mature when that is Cam Newton (always has been and always will be). He always takes what the defense gives him. Now did he make mistakes last season, and did he force plays? Yep. What young QB doesn't though?

Then huff at Rivera, Shula and Cam himself who admitted that he started taking what the defense gave him instead of trying to hit homeruns all day.  He readily admits he made better decisions as the year went on, why can't you?? 

#35 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 25,566 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina/Virginia

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:19 PM

Honestly that number wasn't due to the line. Newton was sacked 36 times last year- 16th among teams. Rodgers was sacked 51 times. In 2011 Newton was sacked 35 times for a total over the 2 years of 71 times. By contrast he has run 253 times over the past 2 years.

So is it the offensive line or the read option?

Your argument doesn't take into account hits. You can get hit without being sacked and though Rodgers is mobile, he's no Cam Newton.

#36 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 26,422 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:22 PM

No one is saying the offensive line was good. The point is that when the offensive line is not good you make adjustments like call quicker hitting plays, dump off more, use shorter passes and crossing routes instead of holding the ball and trying to make a deep throw.

Smart quarterbacks and OCs take what they have and do the best they can with what they are given. Both Chud and Cam share some of the blame here. Kalil didn't plan on going on IR and it wasn't amini's fault he was thrust in over his head just like Bell was in 2011. How many times were adjustments made because the offensive line struggled by anybody??

True, but most of that can be called OC coaching issue....as you mentioned.

Cam doesn't call his own play. He didn't ask that weak OL to pass protect while all his WRs ran deep routes routinely. They also broke some of those plays down on ESPN and often early he didn't even have a check down option.

Yes, Cam needs to learn to more consistently grow it away or use his legs....not wait and wait. That is on him.

But Chud sucked. The OL sucked. Those 2 IMO were greater issues last year than Cam not making a decision quick enough

#37 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 17,062 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:23 PM

Your argument doesn't take into account hits. You can get hit without being sacked and though Rodgers is mobile, he's no Cam Newton.

It also didn't account for runs where he didn't get hit or times where he ran the ball and got hit multiple times.

But you get the point.....

#38 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 25,566 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:26 PM

It also didn't account for runs where he didn't get hit or times where he ran the ball and got hit multiple times.
But you get the point.....

True.

The best way to answer the question is to use the eye test. The eye test pretty much tells us that we have a bottom tier offensive line.

#39 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 7,742 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:33 PM

Guys, it's not like we needed a stat to tell us that we need improvements on the O-line. The same can be said of Newton's decision making.  What's really going on here?

Its-Obvious-500x595.jpg

#40 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 25,566 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:37 PM

Guys, it's not like we needed a stat to tell us that we need improvements on the O-line. The same can be said of Newton's decision making. What's really going on here?

Its-Obvious-500x595.jpg

Why does she have difficulty standing up? Tell me.

#41 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,655 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:40 PM

Being Getts went on and on bout hog mollies I can't imagine that he doesn't want a dominate oline.

#42 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 25,566 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:42 PM

Being Getts went on and on bout hog mollies I can't imagine that he doesn't want a dominate oline.

He can start by using some of that $12.5 mil in cap room to sign Brandon Moore.

#43 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,655 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:43 PM

He can start by using some of that $12.5 mil in cap room to sign Brandon Moore.

I'm confident he has his own plan for it.
He has done well so far, I will not assume he is ignorant.

#44 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 25,566 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:46 PM

I'm confident he has his own plan for it.
He has done well so far, I will not assume he is ignorant.

That is a true statement.

#45 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 7,742 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:51 PM

Why does she have difficulty standing up? Tell me.

Well, it's either one of two things:

1. Her jugs are weighing her down

2. That ass has to hold the wall up.

You decide.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com