Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Josh Norman?

41 posts in this topic

Posted

That's interesting, Norman doesn't have great speed and the player the nickel usually covers the slot receiver.

Maybe they think that Norman can jam the little'r receivers.

i think in the nickel he comes in and plays outside, while pushing Captain into the slot. also im glad you mentioned we jumped into a prevent/ cover 4 look on that last bears drive which was beyond dumb especially when all they had to do was get into field goal position. again, after the first couple of plays, why the coaching staff didnt get the message to him to play closer or tighten up is beyond me.

also in the falcons game, we looked to be playing cover 2 on that deep ball to Roddy. which is why Norman allowed Roddy to get behind him, because he was no longer in his zone. he did run with the WR because no one else threaten his zone, but still that is the safetys zone.

1 person likes this

Posted

This teams best chance of winning is with Norman on the sidelines. I really don't get the obsession with him other than he's a loud mouth who constantly gets beat. I wouldn't let him cover my food while I go to the restroom.

It's the David Gettis factor. You see flashes of what he can do, he has the measurable, and his potential is through the roof. But regardless of all that, he's raw. Most raw talents don't make it big time.

1 person likes this

Posted

You can't teach speed. I'll be the first to congratulate Norman if he turns it around this year, he's a panther so I don't want him to fail, but he was noticeably awful last year. It seemed like every qb had the same scouting report "throw it to the receiver being covered by norman." When Rivera's job was at stake he sat him down. Having the tools is one thing but remember what Charles Johnson said last year about some players not preparing. He seemed to be talking about Norman. I hope he proves me wrong I really do, but I'd take Captain any day of the week. He may be smaller but he made a lot of key plays last season.

Posted

It's tough to say what Norman is at this moment. He struggled during his rookie season (as do many corners) but he possesses intriguing measurables. If he struggles again at corner this season, I say make him a safety.

Posted

Great potential he has. But there was a reason he was a 5th round pick. He doesn't have the best speed and gets beat too often.

Sent from my SGH-T999

Yes, still a padawan he is....

Posted

Ah yes the horror of the Bears game. That was the game that convinced me that RR thought our secondary was the worst he'd ever seen. RR - "Naka you go to the concession stands and wait there as our last line of defense. Norman don't even try to cover anyone, just give a 7 yard cushion, let them have anything they want just so long as you have depth and can come up and tackle them after the catch." We have some $$$$, and I'll bet RR is all over Gettleman to find a CB. I'm still in shock we didn't draft one high. It's such a shame that Gamble was due so much money and was ready to retire. That guy could backpedal as well as any CB I've ever seen, stop on a dime, and anticipate the receiver's break like he was reading his mind. You're missed Gamble.

Posted

It was cover three for crying out loud, even if he doesn't fall down against Roddy in ATL it was still Naka's zone to cover. Against the Bears, same story, deep cover three. Norman will be fine when he can be more physical. Captain, albeit short, is also a very physical corner. If the DTs are competent this year I believe our secondary will be able to play to their strengths and not their weaknesses.

Hell take Revis and put him in our secondary last year playing Cover 3 and the bears still would have beat us because he is a cover corner, not a zone guy. Put Sherman, Asomugna, Cromartie, or any physical corner in the 2012 defense and it would appear they would struggle.

Let the DTs shore up our run D and our DBs will be able to do what they are capable of doing, maybe more.

Posted

It's the David Gettis factor. You see flashes of what he can do, he has the measurable, and his potential is through the roof. But regardless of all that, he's raw. Most raw talents don't make it big time.

It has nothing to do with Gettis.  Gettis showed what he could do.  He played well.  Then he got hurt.  A year isn't a "flash".  It's not only about his measurables or potential.  It's about what he did when he played.  Looks like Gettis is the trendy new Hardy from last year and Gamble from the year before that.  The guy that a group likes to hate on and think needs to be replaced/cut WAY prematurely. Hopefully the trend continues and Gettis proves all the haters wrong.  I'm not even a big Gettis fan, never was.  I like him well enough, but I'm also not naive enough to think that just cuz Rivera wouldn't play him last year that means he's not ready to play.

Posted

Another issue read concerning Josh was he was improvising.  Doing things outside of his responsibility.

That said they guy is 25 and from a smaller school so discipline was probably not as required as talent. 

Let him grow and I think we'll see dividends this season.

Posted

It has nothing to do with Gettis.  Gettis showed what he could do.  He played well.  Then he got hurt.  A year isn't a "flash".  It's not only about his measurables or potential.  It's about what he did when he played.  Looks like Gettis is the trendy new Hardy from last year and Gamble from the year before that.  The guy that a group likes to hate on and think needs to be replaced/cut WAY prematurely. Hopefully the trend continues and Gettis proves all the haters wrong.  I'm not even a big Gettis fan, never was.  I like him well enough, but I'm also not naive enough to think that just cuz Rivera wouldn't play him last year that means he's not ready to play.

Gettis is one of my favorite players on the team. I even named my Fallout New Vegas character after him. I would slate him as the #2 receiver in a heartbeat if I was running this team, with LaFell at the three. I was just trying to tell the guy why people like Norman. The potential is there, and we can see it, but it may never get to be realized to it's fullest because of coaches, time, schemes, etc.

Posted

Great potential he has. But there was a reason he was a 5th round pick. He doesn't have the best speed and gets beat too often.

Sent from my SGH-T999

Thank you, Yoda.

1 person likes this

Posted

He actually made an informative contribution, which nobody has ever been able to say about you here.

Bags of dicks for you sir