Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If we go 9-7 and miss the playoffs, Rivera should NOT be fired.

136 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

A lot of fans and pundits are saying its "playoffs or bust for Rivera." They are also sayimg 9-7 with a playoff miss also wont be enough to save his job. I might be in the minority but if Rivera is fired after a 9-7 season, that would be a travesty.

My reason for this thinking is because of the flawed playoff system in the NFL. Im a HUGE supporter of expanding the playoffs. No I dont think it needs to be like the NBA where half the teams get in the playoffs. I am simply in favor of expanding the playoffs to 14 teams as opposed to 12 now. Thats just one extra team per conference. Thats nothing.

How can a 2011 9-7 Giants team win the super bowl but yet a 2012 10-6 Bears team misses the playoffs and their head coach gets fired. How on earth does a 11-5 Patriots team miss the playoffs a few years back?

A majority of fans are against expanding the playoffs and I just do not understand the rationale. If you have a winning season, you deserve a spot in the playoffs period! No exceptions. So let me bring this full circle. If we go 9-7 and miss the playoffs, Rivera should NOT be fired. It just would not be right that a ultra flawed playoff system devours another head coach. Rivera did his part, he won. Its now the NFL's job to change the playoff system and ensure winning teams do not miss out on the playoffs. How anyone can disagree with the notion that if you have a winning record you deserve a playoff spot is beyond me.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Depends on how we look going 9-7.

6 people like this

Posted · Report post

I agree completely.

Posted · Report post

If we go 9-7 and are competitive with the top teams in the league, and are hindered by the o-line and secondary, then I concede Rivera shouldn't be fired. That's on the front office for lack of significant moves in the past. However, if we start or end on a losing streak because of coaching miscues, Ron should be fired immediately after the final game of the season.
3 people like this

Posted · Report post

That's cool. But no playoffs, he should get the door. It's been over 5 years, and he's been given 3 years to pull it off, much more than most ever get. So yeah, no playoffs, no return.

Posted · Report post

Correction he should not be allowed back in the damn building. The time is now. We been fucking up since 2009. I need playoffs. And I want it now. No JG Wentworth. 

Posted · Report post

Meh it is really hard to say, but 9-7 isn't bad...but playoffs really needs to happen and I can't imagine giving someone four years just to make the playoffs, seems a bit long to me.

Posted · Report post

That's cool. But no playoffs, he should get the door. It's been over 5 years, and he's been given 3 years to pull it off, much more than most ever get. So yeah, no playoffs, no return.

And that's the problem with the NFL nowadays. People want instant results at the cost of chemistry. Unless G-Man has a proven coach awaiting, count me out. I don't want a rookie or college coach who will implement a new system and prosonnel. We could end up waiting another 2-3 years for a playoff shot.

Posted · Report post

Let's win 9 games, then worry about it.

9-0 start would be good. Not normal Carolina MO however.

More like 4-7, then win 5 straight. (So much potential for 2014 !!!1!!!!1!111!!!!!1)

Posted · Report post

Yeah, wait and see. Do we lose our first 4 or 5 games and pour it on in the end? We have to come out of the gate hot and be competitive all year long.

Posted · Report post

If Rivera is still doing what he did last year and blowing the end of games with baffling game management and comical errors, yes he needs to go. We have plenty of talent on this team, and it's up to him to maximize it.

Not to mention Rivera fired the RB, WR, and LB coaches this year too. He's out of excuses. It's all on him.
2 people like this

Posted · Report post

It's too early to think about it this in my opinion...

If we get off go a six game winning streak and end up 9-7 or start off on a five game losing streak and end up 9-7, then his job might be in jeopardy.

Gettleman's favorite word seems to be consistency, I think he is looking for consistency out of Rivera as well.
1 person likes this