Photo
- - - - -

If we go 9-7 and miss the playoffs, Rivera should NOT be fired.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
135 replies to this topic

#13 chknwing

chknwing

SUPPORTER

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:35 PM

if we go 9-7 and do not have any major injuries, Rivera should be fired.  There is no reason this team cant do way better than that.

#14 BigBoss

BigBoss

HUDDLER

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:39 PM

And that's the problem with the NFL nowadays. People want instant results at the cost of chemistry. Unless G-Man has a proven coach awaiting, count me out. I don't want a rookie or college coach who will implement a new system and prosonnel. We could end up waiting another 2-3 years for a playoff shot.

Yep. That's why I feel 3 years is very fair shot for any new coach. He's been given three straight years, including a number 1 pick, to build a playoff team, something we haven't had in a while. How long are you willing to wait for Ron to get it done? As one guy said, we fired our GM, a bunch of coaches but kept him and allowed him to work on some things. It's put up or shut up time.

I remember Nick Saban going 9-7 with the Dolphins, but people were already done with him. He only got two years. What does Ron get?

#15 Pejorative Miscreant

Pejorative Miscreant

Cold Ass Honky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:41 PM

That's cool. But no playoffs, he should get the door. It's been over 5 years, and he's been given 3 years to pull it off, much more than most ever get. So yeah, no playoffs, no return.

I see the logic but there are other factors.

1. Who do you replace him with

2. Is it a strong 9-7 or a rally 9-7. Rally caps at the end of the season are not the best indication of good coaching.

3. Injuries: Coach cant overcome this.

Basically you need to look at what he did and judge him based on what he had control of.

Sent from my DROID4 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#16 RufftownRepresent

RufftownRepresent

Formerly Know As Ruff

HUDDLER

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:41 PM

I'd agree. If we go 9-7, I think he should stay. But that's it. If we go 8-8 or worse, I say you have to make a change at head coach. Which is what's sad. I think that we have the positional coaches in place to be an awesome, awesome team. Washington is amazing, so is Skipper, etc. It just seems we're lacking a strong-willed head coach to bring it all together.

Someone with the intensity of Coughlin would really do wonders for our team.

#17 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

SUPPORTER

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:42 PM

A flourishing example of a strong nuclei ceasing to exist because of an unnecessary head coaching change is none other the San Diego Chargers. Marty had a lousy playoff record but he led a 14-2 team to the postseason. Soon after Norv was brought in, the Chargers slowly but surely fell apart.

Rivera has yet to lead this squad to a winning season. That said, if we come out of gates stronger than recent memory and Ron shows grand improvements in the coaching department, I'd be supportive in letting him stay.

#18 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

HUDDLER

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:46 PM

3. Injuries: Coach cant overcome this.

I disagree. Plenty of teams have overcome injuries. Enough excuses. I'm tired of seeing us loading up our IR midseason. This is why teams have depth, and have drafts. The GM and the head coach are responsible for this.

#19 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

Moderators

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:50 PM

YAY FOR LOW STANDARDS!!!!!

WHOO HOO HAPPY BEING JUST BETTER THAN AVERAGE!

WOOOTTTTT!!!!

#20 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

SUPPORTER

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:54 PM

Yep. That's why I feel 3 years is very fair shot for any new coach. He's been given three straight years, including a number 1 pick, to build a playoff team, something we haven't had in a while. How long are you willing to wait for Ron to get it done? As one guy said, we fired our GM, a bunch of coaches but kept him and allowed him to work on some things. It's put up or shut up time.

I remember Nick Saban going 9-7 with the Dolphins, but people were already done with him. He only got two years. What does Ron get?

True but some of the top-tier coaches were given 5-10 years (in that time enduring losing records) no more than a decade ago. Why? Because several of those teams were utter crap. Ron inherited a horrific team with holes everywhere. It's not much of a difference if you ask me. Has he struggled however? Absolutely. Yet, if he builds on those lessons from last year and keeps us competitive all year long, he deserves to stay.

Saban wanted out though. He appeared incredibly stressed and he didn't bother to hide it. Players came forward and hinted that Saban was just going through the emotions, and at times, was indifferent to was transpiring on the field.

#21 pantherj

pantherj

HUDDLER

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:55 PM

Winning season or he's done imo.

#22 ladypanther

ladypanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

SUPPORTER

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:06 PM

No worries.  This team will do better than that and will make the playoffs.

#23 ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

Insane Racist Moron

HUDDLER

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:06 PM

Ok, but if we go 8-8 and make the playoffs, he should be fired.

#24 R0CKnR0LLA

R0CKnR0LLA

Drunk Posting

HUDDLER

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:08 PM

depends on if the losses come from coaching mistakes or simply lack of talent