Photo
- - - - -

If we go 9-7 and miss the playoffs, Rivera should NOT be fired.

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#16 Ruff

Ruff

Formerly Know As RufftownRepresent

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,179 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:41 PM

I'd agree. If we go 9-7, I think he should stay. But that's it. If we go 8-8 or worse, I say you have to make a change at head coach. Which is what's sad. I think that we have the positional coaches in place to be an awesome, awesome team. Washington is amazing, so is Skipper, etc. It just seems we're lacking a strong-willed head coach to bring it all together.

Someone with the intensity of Coughlin would really do wonders for our team.

#17 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,501 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:42 PM

A flourishing example of a strong nuclei ceasing to exist because of an unnecessary head coaching change is none other the San Diego Chargers. Marty had a lousy playoff record but he led a 14-2 team to the postseason. Soon after Norv was brought in, the Chargers slowly but surely fell apart.

Rivera has yet to lead this squad to a winning season. That said, if we come out of gates stronger than recent memory and Ron shows grand improvements in the coaching department, I'd be supportive in letting him stay.

#18 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 13,059 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:46 PM

3. Injuries: Coach cant overcome this.

I disagree. Plenty of teams have overcome injuries. Enough excuses. I'm tired of seeing us loading up our IR midseason. This is why teams have depth, and have drafts. The GM and the head coach are responsible for this.

#19 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,828 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:50 PM

YAY FOR LOW STANDARDS!!!!!

WHOO HOO HAPPY BEING JUST BETTER THAN AVERAGE!

WOOOTTTTT!!!!

#20 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,501 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:54 PM

Yep. That's why I feel 3 years is very fair shot for any new coach. He's been given three straight years, including a number 1 pick, to build a playoff team, something we haven't had in a while. How long are you willing to wait for Ron to get it done? As one guy said, we fired our GM, a bunch of coaches but kept him and allowed him to work on some things. It's put up or shut up time.

I remember Nick Saban going 9-7 with the Dolphins, but people were already done with him. He only got two years. What does Ron get?

True but some of the top-tier coaches were given 5-10 years (in that time enduring losing records) no more than a decade ago. Why? Because several of those teams were utter crap. Ron inherited a horrific team with holes everywhere. It's not much of a difference if you ask me. Has he struggled however? Absolutely. Yet, if he builds on those lessons from last year and keeps us competitive all year long, he deserves to stay.

Saban wanted out though. He appeared incredibly stressed and he didn't bother to hide it. Players came forward and hinted that Saban was just going through the emotions, and at times, was indifferent to was transpiring on the field.

#21 pantherj

pantherj

• HUDDLER
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:55 PM

Winning season or he's done imo.

#22 ladypanther

ladypanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 5,260 posts
  • LocationWNC

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:06 PM

No worries.  This team will do better than that and will make the playoffs.

#23 ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

Insane Racist Moron

• HUDDLER
  • 6,146 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:06 PM

Ok, but if we go 8-8 and make the playoffs, he should be fired.

#24 R0CKnR0LLA

R0CKnR0LLA

Drunk Posting

• HUDDLER
  • 8,881 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:08 PM

depends on if the losses come from coaching mistakes or simply lack of talent

#25 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,298 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:16 PM

Yes...bad/stupid losses coupled with either not-making the playoffs or barely making and losing early will determine Rivera's fate.

#26 The Huddler

The Huddler

St. Thomas Aquinas

• HUDDLER
  • 4,107 posts
  • LocationRadford University

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:21 PM

This team makes the playoffs, or he's done.

The past two seasons, " Oh, we looked hot at the end! give him another chance!" Bullshit. If we start off bad and look good at the end, he just doesn't have what it takes to win when it matters. There is no "how we look at 9-7". If we are 9-7, its either a third strike with a slow start or we caved at the end. 

That said, we will be a 10+ win team 

#27 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 13,059 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:31 PM

Also, am I the only one bothered by players talking about how "laid back" Rivera is this year? He should be anything but at this point. Look at the Harbaugh brothers who were just in the superbowl. Are they laid back?

#28 SIGCHI222

SIGCHI222

the illustrious potentate

• HUDDLER
  • 4,093 posts
  • LocationShelby

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:38 PM

Chico goes 9 and 7 and he is going nowhere.  8 and 8 is where there will be debate and arguing.  We all know what happens if he has another losing season (gone like a freight train, gone like yesterday). 

We have to go 11 and 5 for Rivera to have a .500 career regular season record.

He knows what he has to do and he knows what is at stake.  Let's see what ya' got Ron.  We are all pulling for you.  KEEP POUNDING!!

#29 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 23,491 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina/Virginia

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:43 PM

Also, am I the only one bothered by players talking about how "laid back" Rivera is this year? He should be anything but at this point. Look at the Harbaugh brothers who were just in the superbowl. Are they laid back?

Some teams react differently to coaching techniques. It seems like the team is much more suited for a laid back coach. We have strong position coaches and at nearly every position we have, there is a veteran presence (Derek Anderson, DeAngelo Williams, Steve Smith, Greg Olsen, Thomas Davis, Jon Beason, Charles Johnson, Colin Cole, Jordan Gross, Ryan Kalil, Drayton Florence, Charles Godfrey).

One thing I've learned from my coaching classes and helping out with my college football team is that you have to get to know your personnel because not every team (and within every team player) reacts the same.

#30 ickmule

ickmule

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts
  • LocationNorth Myrtle Beach

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:47 PM

Blah blah blah. Why start the season talking about how, when, or why the coach should be fired? I'm banking on a stellar season.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.