Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kurb, The Great One Rants: Goodell and the No Fun League

30 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

The league just clarified on Mike and Mike: none of these these things directed towards a player, but players can still celebrate.

exactly

no biggie

Posted · Report post

The culture is reverting back to where it was in the early 90s when celebrations were frowned upon and penalized as well.  I believe it's cyclical. 

Posted · Report post

fLzF5_medium.gif
Model citizen for the no fun league?

This totally made me LOL at the time.

5 people like this

Posted · Report post

i believe Goodell is a bitch.

Posted · Report post

lot's of misplaced anger that the little rayzor laughs at

there's one little problem with your rant, it's not goodell that's the problem.

he doesn't vote on rule changes. he doesn't even really suggest them.

you want someone to blame? that's fine. blame the ones that are really responsible. the nfl competition committee that suggest the rule changes and then the owners for voting them into existence.

we all know who the owners are, but who is this group of evil guys suggesting rule changes?

As of April 15, 2013,[1] the members were:

Chairman: Rich McKay (Atlanta Falcons)
- Jeff Fisher (St. Louis Rams)
- Stephen Jones (Dallas Cowboys)
- Marvin Lewis (Cincinnati Bengals)
- John Mara (New York Giants)
- Mark Murphy (Green Bay Packers)
- Ozzie Newsome (Baltimore Ravens)
- Rick Smith (Houston Texans)
- Mike Tomlin (Pittsburgh Steelers)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_competition_committee

these are the guys responsible for the No Fun League in it's current form. goodell has no more power to make rule changes than anyone. he can't fire an owner or a coach. he can't bully the rule committee into making rule changes. he's just the guy that announces rule changes. he's a figurehead where rule changes go. when changes are made, it's his job to support them and be an advocate of them when they are made. it's his job to sell them to the public, not make them.

all that said, not a fan of the rule changes. not even really a fan of goodell, though i do think he's responsible for growing the market and bringing in more revenue, but that's another discussion.

here's something to think about tho, the chairman of the committee is with the falcons and the spin the ball move is a trademark of the most lethal member of the panthers for years.

coincidence?

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

there's one little problem with your rant, it's not goodell that's the problem.

he doesn't vote on rule changes. he doesn't even really suggest them.

you want someone to blame? that's fine. blame the ones that are really responsible. the nfl competition committee that suggest the rule changes and then the owners for voting them into existence.

we all know who the owners are, but who is this group of evil guys suggesting rule changes?

these are the guys responsible for the No Fun League in it's current form. goodell has no more power to make rule changes than anyone. he can't fire an owner or a coach. he can't bully the rule committee into making rule changes. he's just the guy that announces rule changes. he's a figurehead where rule changes go. when changes are made, it's his job to support them and be an advocate of them when they are made. it's his job to sell them to the public, not make them.

all that said, not a fan of the rule changes. not even really a fan of goodell, though i do think he's responsible for growing the market and bringing in more revenue, but that's another discussion.

here's something to think about tho, the chairman of the committee is with the falcons and the spin the ball move is a trademark of the most lethal member of the panthers for years.

coincidence?

Good points.

However, when you are the boss, it's your fault.

I also shoot messengers.

PS: Don't laugh at me :(

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I dont like the idea of policing excitement out of the game. Mr goodell meet slippery slope 

Lol...if the "excitement" of the game comes from guys doing dances and spinning the ball then I'm watching for all the wrong reasons.

Seriously, this is ridiculous.

People will still watch without the dancing.  People watch college football and enjoy the crap out of it and there's nothing even close to the kinds of celebrations going on in the NFL.

I'm not saying I "like" these rules.  But stomping around and acting like this is going to destroy the "game of football" is ludicrous. 

Don't know about Kurb and the rest of you, but I'm going to still watch whether they do a dance or just run back to the huddle and high five their teammates. 

And Goodell knows it.

Posted · Report post

I thought it was already well established that Goodell was a terrible Commissioner and the game has regressed tremendously ever since he took over for Tagliabue.

I will also throw this in here, simply because I've no other place to put it-but it isn't just the NFL. THE NFLPA is just as responsible. The pissing contest between the two is getting out of control and it's hurting the game. Most notably, however, is giving the PA the power to dictate how much players should have to work out or practice. Could you imagine if you had the power to tell your high school coach that you don't feel as if you should be running wind sprints anymore at the end of practice? It's the exact same principle and we're seeing the players abuse that power-and for all their talk of safety, the lack of conditioning and growth in injuries is making the players suffer the consequences of what is essentially just pure laziness.

Posted · Report post

NFL is a business. They believe these changes will make them more marketable/profitable.

Anybody upset over these new rules is not going to stop watching. The idea imo is that there are some( I know/ have met a few) can't stand seeing players celebrating for "doing their job". Its the older generation who does not like it and the NFL does not want to alienate them.

Bottom line is nobody is going to stop watching because of this but some might keep watching because of it.

This is the sad truth of the matter. Not as many people demanding celebrations as their are old curmudgeons who frown upon fun.

The rules should only ban prolonged celebrations and the use of props, obscenities, or provocation.

Posted · Report post

I love celebrations..  this is football bitches.

3 people like this

Posted · Report post

Good points.

However, when you are the boss, it's your fault.

I also shoot messengers.

PS: Don't laugh at me :(

he's not the boss. the bosses are the owners...you know. the ones that hired him, gave him the raise, and actually voted on the rules suggested to them by the competition committee based on suggestions made by the sub-committee.

where rules are concerned, he's largely just a figurehead.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

The NFL will one day be so corrupt and money driven, it will crumble! A new league should be created